• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

kerry picks his running man!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptunes

story.kerry.monday.ap.jpg

"It's clear Kerry has made a decision and is committed to announcing it on his terms with discipline more typically associated with Republican campaigns of yesteryear," the Democratic official said. "That obviously means a rapid turn-around."

Some sources said the announcement could come as early as Tuesday.

According to several Democratic sources, Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina interrupted his family vacation at Walt Disney World last Thursday to come to Washington for a private meeting with Kerry, without even telling many members of his own staff.

Sources said the meeting went extremely well and that Edwards' stock is rising with Kerry. Edwards was Kerry's strongest rival in the Democratic primaries, but has since become a vocal and visible supporter of Kerry's candidacy.

I wonder who it'll be :rolleyes:

xsarien

daedsiluap
Well, he also spent the weekend with Vilsack. If Kerry's good at one thing, it's at really keeping his secrets...secret.

DJ Sl4m

RunningMan-t.jpg

First Gov., not V.P., next President of the US.

He will have his revenge against Iraq for the chemichal warfare that gave him the tumors afterall!!!!!! Go Arnold!!!!!

neptunes

Kerry looks so much cool'er than bush. :)

KERRY is throwing a football
KERRY is playing the guitar
KERRY is snowboarding
...KERRY was in the vietnam war ;)

hooo

boooy
Leon said:
Can someone tell me here (I'm not big on how politics function) why Kerry's decision for his running mate is so important?

It serves as a distraction to help people ignore what a crappy candidate Kerry is. There's a reason that the democratic campaign push isn't pro-Kerry, but anti-Bush.

cvxfreak

Leon said:
Can someone tell me here (I'm not big on how politics function) why Kerry's decision for his running mate is so important?

If it's Edwards then it'll help with the southern vote I assume.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
article2819.jpg

Kerry Names 1969 Version Of Himself As Running Mate

BOSTON—Ending months of speculation, presidential hopeful Sen. John Kerry announced Tuesday that he has selected the young, vibrant, recently decorated war hero John Kerry as his running mate.

Above: Kerry (right) presents his running mate at a campaign event in Boston.

"In my search for a vice-president, I considered many qualified men and women," Kerry said, announcing his decision at Boston University. "But one man stood apart from the madding crowd as brave, honest, and full of life. One man displayed a true desire to change America for the better—not through political maneuvering, but through hard work. That man was me, 35 years ago."

Kerry said he was inspired to nominate John Kerry of 1969 by, of all things, a photo in a magazine.

"I was paging through Time and I came across a picture of a very proud, and, might I add, handsome 25-year-old man in full military uniform, just returning from the conflict in Vietnam," Kerry said. "He was strong, fit, and in the flower of youth. I couldn't look away. It was as if there was a light shining from within him. I knew that this man was destined for the White House."

Kerry said his newly chosen running mate graduated from Yale University in 1966, after which he volunteered for the Navy, serving as a swift-boat officer on a gunboat in the Mekong Delta in Vietnam. For his exemplary service, the young soldier was awarded a Silver Star, a Bronze Star, and three Purple Hearts.

"My running mate is a natural-born leader," Kerry said. "He was born at Fitzsimons Military Hospital in Denver, where his father was recovering from tuberculosis after volunteering for the Army Air Corps in WWII. He continues to uphold a belief instilled in him from a young age: that you must always fight for what you believe in, no matter the cost. Man, to be 25 again."

Kerry spoke of the "exemplary character" of the man with whom he now shares the Democratic ticket.

"My running mate is smart, hard-working, and, above all, unsullied by compromise," said the four-term senator from Massachusetts. "The more I learn about this man, the more I admire him."

"To tell you the truth, sometimes I wish I were more like him," Kerry added.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Leon said:

The short, short version, as dinner's cooking and I don't want it to burn:

The Vice President is largely the President's right-hand man, but also performs as the President of the Senate, breaking tying votes and such.

I do hope that it's Edwards, though. The guy can probably sway a few southern votes just by virtue of him being from that region, and he's often been compared to Clinton in terms of being able to totally captivate a room when he's giving a speech. That's a good trate for any politician to have.

Ripclawe

Banned
Breck girl can then revive his 2 America speech all over the place.

I do hope that it's Edwards, though. The guy can probably sway a few southern votes just by virtue of him being from that region,

you do know he won one primary, got blasted everywhere elsewhere and would have lost his senator's race in North Carolina if he ran again?

and he's often been compared to Clinton in terms of being able to totally captivate a room when he's giving a speech. That's a good trate for any politician to have

trial lawyer, can lie really good :)

xsarien

daedsiluap
Ripclawe said:
trial lawyer, can lie really good :)

It has nothing to do with him being a trial lawyer, Bush can do it with the best of them and all he's got behind him is an MBA.

Matt

Ripclawe said:
Breck girl can then revive his 2 America speech all over the place.

you do know he won one primary, got blasted everywhere elsewhere and would have lost his senator's race in North Carolina if he ran again?
Blasted? He was almost always second, and many times a close second.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
CVXFREAK said:
If it's Edwards then it'll help with the southern vote I assume.

Truthfully, with the exception of Florida and possibly Arkansas, I don't think that even a resurrected Robert E. Lee could win the South for the Democrats.

Gruco

Banned
I'm going to go to the rally thingie in Pittsburgh tomorrow under the assumption he announces it there.

The jerk better not waste my time!

DJ Sl4m said:
RunningMan-t.jpg

First Gov., not V.P., next President of the US.

He will have his revenge against Iraq for the chemichal warfare that gave him the tumors afterall!!!!!! Go Arnold!!!!!

if he become's VP, he'll just break Kerry's neck at the inauguration ceremony. "JOHN KERRY, REMEMBER WHEN I SAID I'D KILL YOU LAST?"

ripclawe said:

Untrue. Erskine Bowles, the Democratic nominee running for Edwards' open seat, has an 8-10 point lead in the polls against his Republican opponent. Yet as recently as a few months ago, state Democrats were hoping Edwards might be persuaded to come back and run for the seat, as they thought he would have a much easier time winning it. Edwards' presidential campaign raised his approval ratings considerably.

If you want to see examples of failed politicians who were rejected by the people and then given high-profile jobs, take a look at Bush's cabinet.

Ripclawe

Banned
Chesapeake Silt said:
The past few days have made it sound like it's Gephardt. Unless that's just what Kerry wants us to think!

Some unions want Gephardt, others say pick Edwards since the union vote did squat in the primaries.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I hate the fact that the decision is based on which guy can garner the most votes rather than who's the best for the job and the country. I hate this two party system. It only attracts idiots on both sides who cater to large ignorant masses. Someone dig up some intelligent candidates who have real plans for the future, and not career politicians who only look at the short-term and what can help their re-election campaign. *sigh* George Washington warned us about this crap over 200 years ago, and we've only made it worse.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Dan said:
I hate the fact that the decision is based on which guy can garner the most votes rather than who's the best for the job and the country. I hate this two party system. It only attracts idiots on both sides who cater to large ignorant masses. Someone dig up some intelligent candidates who have real plans for the future, and not career politicians who only look at the short-term and what can help their re-election campaign. *sigh* George Washington warned us about this crap over 200 years ago, and we've only made it worse.

HOLY FUCK, I SEE SOME LOGIC HERE!

The current state of politics repulses me and makes me pretty fuckin' sad. Edwards is far more interesting than John Kerry, but then again, so is a day old lukewarm bowl of oatmeal. That's not to say that Bush/Heart Attack Man is exactly a good ticket, either. Groan. Unfortunately if you're too "radical" you won't make it anywhere, because the people already in power want the status quo. And the general voting public is too busy watching "The Simple Life" to brush up on their issues, and vote based on who looks better during the debates, or who will write them a $300 check. I'd rather have the ignoramuses not vote. A non-vote is way better than an ignorant vote.

All I hope is that I never have to talk about President Hilary Rodham Clinton. :|

fart

Savant
a lot of this could be fixed with a change in voting systems from winner takes all to some kind of proportional scheme. real pluralism is too librull and communist for all yall though so i guess that ain't happnin OH WELL PAPPY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom