• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ketzal's Corridors |OT| The eShops Next Best Alternative To Pushmo

Yuterald

ketzals-corridors-3ds-eshop.jpg

25.jpg
21.jpg
15.jpg

23.jpg
7.jpg
3.jpg

The Info You Seek and The Price You Will Pay To Enter These Walls:
  • Publisher: Nintendo
  • Developer: KeysFactory
  • Price:$6:99 USD [eShop]

The Treasures You Will Find and The Value That Can Be Gained:
  • The Sequel to WiiWare's Thruspace
  • 96 Single Player Levels
  • 2 Player Competitive Modes
  • Gripping Tale Told Through Murals; An Actual Storyline In A Puzzle Game!
  • The Feel, The Magic, and The Polish That Nintendo Is Known For.
  • Perform Tricks & Combos To Increase Your High Score
  • Earn Bronze, Silver, and Gold Medals To Further Increase Replay Value
  • Become The Corridor Master To Earn The Coveted Heart & Perfect Trick Icons For All 96 Stages.
  • Listen To Unexpectedly Cool Music While You Speed Dash Through The Labyrinth.

Launch Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhyg1kIfWf4

I've been playing this since yesterday. The gameplay is solid, the challenge is great, the 3D is very good in my opinion (flying down a deep corridor looks great), and the challenge is very considerable, if you decide to seek it out (trying to figure out efficient minimal surface covering, even on some early levels, is pretty tough). But it's also easy enough to fly through a level if you want to, since most of the high-score stuff is optional (surface covering, maximum heart collection).

The game runs well (haven't had slowdown yet, and it's 60 fps pretty much constantly), and the presentation is great. Sound effects, music, graphics, they all work together.

Forgot to mention, but the controls are simple conceptually. If you imagine the face buttons/R as rotations on a sphere, then it becomes easier to pick up. The way the game works, it gives you time to work with them. Plus, they are pretty much always present on the bottom, so you're always reminded in case you forget something.

I haven't played the original, but considering this on its own, I would definitely recommend it to people. Yes, even at $7.

zroid

Banned
I'm probably going to get this, just need to pick up an eShop $20 card first. Looks like solid fun. The design also seems well suited to stereoscopic 3D.

Yuterald

Great impressions! Yeah, I completely impulsed purchased this game after watching a video online. The combo and trick system is completely addicting. I find it hard to move on from a stage until I earn those perfect icons. I never played the original game either, but this has been quite the surprise so far.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Great game.

For reasons only known to Nintendo, this is called Potzol's Puzzle on this side of the pond....

Oh, a minor mention for the Tower stages (one of which is shown in that screenshot with the purple block).

They are basically stages where you flip around your block, without moving it side-to-side or anything, to match a given shape exactly. These stages in particular are probably the only ones whose difficulty ranges from medium (especially on towers with more levels - less time to match shapes) to whoa (the second tower stage unlocked is 100 levels tall, and patterns on the top need to be matched in ~3-5 seconds).
Code:
 _ _
|_|_|
  |_|
Even working with this sort of piece, where every position is minimally reachable from every other position in 2 button presses (moves) at *most*, it's still challenging to get gold on them.

Great game.

For reasons only known to Nintendo, this is called Potzol's Puzzle on this side of the pond....

I'm curious about N's decision to not only do away with the Thru Space name from the first game on WiiWare, but also allow for more regional naming differences for a single game... Seems a great way to confuse consumers in a globalized marketplace.

Great looking game though, enjoyed Thru Space a lot.

NeoRausch

Aw yeeeahhh! An OT for this game. Playing it since the euro release last week, it's really great!
way more diverse than thruspace and the corridor optic is perfect suited for 3D.

also: the two player "cuddle-mode" (that's what it's called in the german version) is fucking funny. Two players on one system? Yeah it's chaotic but hilarious.

if you like puzzle games you HAVE to buy this game!

EDIT:

I'm curious about N's decision to not only do away with the Thru Space name from the first game on WiiWare, but also allow for more regional naming differences for a single game... Seems a great way to confuse consumers in a globalized marketplace.

strange thing is: in the euro version it says on the title screen "thruspace potzols puzzle" but in no PR or or official news it's called that way.

edit2:

beaten like a raw piece of meat! :p

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

The full name here is "Speedthru: Potzol's Puzzle" which makes it even more confusing.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

Yeah the naming thing is a bit baffling, and seems to be happening quite a lot.

I guessed what this thread would be about after I watched the video on the UK eShop for this the other week. First thought was I bet they changed the name of it.

It's hardly helping eShop games get exposure when they have different names in different regions, it plays against one of the strengths of digital distribution. The delays in getting games up in different regions is not helping either.

Gameboy415

I just got a 32GB SD Card for my 3DS on Thursday and hopped on the eShop to check new releases as usual.
I was surprised to see this game on there as I had heard NOTHING about it beforehand.

I watched both videos, checked out the pics, and then noticed it was published by Nintendo and I knew I had to have it.

It's a lot of fun for such a simple concept, and I especially enjoy the "marathon" style levels that have you climbing a tower of 100 (or more) corridors.
I look forward to any other surprises Nintendo is going to toss up on the eShop in future months!

Yuterald

This game is pretty hardcore if you enjoy mastering/100%'ing games. The Gold Medals are relatively strict. It seems like you need to combo and trick the entire stage to earn Gold, at least for the regular stages. The time trial tower challenges seem like they are going to be tougher. You really need quick reflexes to master these stages. Oh, and you can earn Gold medals on the endless levels too!

This game is pretty hardcore if you enjoy mastering/100%'ing games. The Gold Medals are relatively strict. It seems like you need to combo and trick the entire stage to earn Gold, at least for the regular stages. The time trial tower challenges seem like they are going to be tougher. You really need quick reflexes to master these stages. Oh, and you can earn Gold medals on the endless levels too!
Yeah, I've spent some time on paper figuring out how to get maximum tricks/hearts without wasting movement when moving from "board" to "board", but it gets *real difficult* on some stages (ex: stages with moving columns/boulders, since they prevent you from "blocking out" a hole if they're in front of you).

Boerseun

Banned
I'm buying a €25 card for Pullblox tomorrow. Maybe I'll get SpeedThru while I'm at it. It certainly looks a title with awesome potential for 3D.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
So... Ketzal's Corridors...

* The game has a meso-American theme...

* You play as a god / divine assistant to a god...

* You collect hearts for power.

This is either the most ingenious black humor I've seen in a game in years, or someone really didn't understand the connotations of a god collecting hearts in an Aztec-like setting.

(I posted this in the main Nintendo downloads thread, but I thought it was worth repeating...)

wondermega

Damn it, I thought this game was looking pretty dull but you had to go and invoke the Pushmo name, so I am having difficulty brushing past this game. I can't really get very excited from the videos- is it anywhere on the same level of polish/clever/addiction for real?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Game's getting great impressions from what I've read. I'm buying it since the Nintendo eshop games have been a blast so far.

Yuterald

Damn it, I thought this game was looking pretty dull but you had to go and invoke the Pushmo name, so I am having difficulty brushing past this game. I can't really get very excited from the videos- is it anywhere on the same level of polish/clever/addiction for real?

The Nintendo charm/polish is absolutely present in this game. I haven't played too much of the game yet, but it seems like they constantly introduce new gimmicks in the stages. There is definitely A LOT of content here too. 96 some levels that can be "Perfected", Gold Medals to strive for, etc. I actually like this game more than Pushmo, although it is quite different. If you like puzzle games I highly suggest checking this out. $7 is a steal too considering the amount of content available.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm intrigued, but not sure I want to drop $7 on this just yet. I still need to finish some of my other eShop games including Pushmo and Dillon's Rolling Western, both of which are great but... man, time. I need more time!!

Definitely on my want list though.

zigg

Dull it is not. It's not really comparable to Pushmo, though, either—it's much more a reaction-based action puzzler than the more cerebral Pushmo.

Question: I guess there are three areas in the game? What exactly do I have to do to move on to the next, clear all the areas in the first?

Top Bottom