• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Garnett is on some next level stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobe24

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/doc-ri...2364--nba.html

8 hours ago
AP - Sports

LOS ANGELES, California -- With one season as Clippers' head coach under his belt, Doc Rivers looks to further document his illustrious coaching experience with a sequel to his 1994 autobiography, Those Who Love the Game: Glenn "Doc" Rivers on Life in the NBA and Elsewhere. In his upcoming autobiography, Rivers told the Associated Press that his book, Clipboards and Sidelines: Orchestrating the Talent of the NBA, would mostly consist of his tenure as the Boston Celtics' head coach and managing the combined talents which came to be in the 2007-2008 season.

"It was an incredible season. It was incredible that we we're able to make things click and got it done on the first go," said Rivers.

One of the major topics Rivers was looking to cover was none other than Kevin Garnett. Garnett, one of the league's most dedicated players, was also infamous for his frequent spats with opposing players - including an incident that drove Carmelo Anthony over the edge. Rivers correlates that behavior to a particular trait about Garnett, superstition, in which he previews an excerpt from his book:

"Kevin as a person? I think at this point everyone knows he gives his matchups a lot of lip. When it got to their heads, it worked. I wasn't particularly fond of when he'd get T'd up, but I knew it was also a coping mechanism for him. He's a very sound player in terms of skills, but could easily lose composure as person. He had superstitions - a lot of superstitions. It would seem he had a problem or insecurity with any team we played against. The first time I was aware of this was in March of our first season when he played against Chuck Hayes, who was then with the streaking Houston Rockets.

They both played down low, and Kevin took exception when he noticed Hayes had this weird tendency to move his lips. I guessed it was a breathing mechanism or just an involuntary muscle activity, but Kevin whispered in my ear during a timeout, 'He's cursing me coach, he's not guarding me but he's cursing me'. I told Kevin to calm down, but he was twitching in the huddle. 'I swear to god he's trying to X me out. He's trying to take me, coach.'

I asked Leon (Powe) to block Hayes from Kevin's sight. We really wanted to snap Houston's streak, and last thing we needed was for Kevin to fall apart. Leon came through, and both he and Kevin had 20-point games. Kevin, quite frankly, was a player possessed. He was all over the boards too. That could've been aggression, or simply Leon's extra effort at boxing out Hayes. Unfortunately, Kevin didn't forget about Hayes after the game.

Now don't get me wrong, Kevin is a warm guy. His character is analogous to an M&M: hard on the outside, but a heart inside that would only melt in your mouth. He wanted Hayes gone - and I mean, gone. We knew Kevin was handling an interview right after the game, but about 10 minutes later we were concerned. I asked Scot (Pollard), who didn't have to shower because he was injured and didn't suit up, to go look for him. He found Kevin right outside the Rockets' locker room, and had to call court security to bring him back.

Kevin came back with one shoe and sock off. He was holding his shoe, which he had shoved into the sock. The sock was stretched like he was twirling a flail. I asked him, 'What were you planning to do with that Kevin?'

He said he was going to hurl it at Hayes' mouth, hoping to break it and 'end his curse'. All I could tell him was 'Kevin...'

We never confronted Hayes about this, and were fortunate this didn't erupt to the media. Armond Hill, Cliff Ray, and I had to put our heads together in rotating Kevin in and out of future Houston games."

theWB27

Doesn't surprise me at all. Always wondered what KG could've done with a support system like TD had. Got a taste in Boston.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My least favorite athlete of all time. Can't stand that annoying nut job!

m3k

The sorta guy you would say shut the fuck up to... If he wasn't almost 7 feet tall and nuts

Kobe24

1212731982_6575.jpg

garnett_360_040516.jpg

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Yes sir. Can't stand even looking at him.

So... is it because he was on a squad that beat your squad or... ?

KG is an ass, no doubt. I'm a Minnesota kid, I was a KG fan, sat 2nd row at the Target Center, shook hands with legit cool people like Marbury and Hoiberg, and Garnett would give you the cold shoulder if you're taking pictures or being cordial, unless he saw a press pass. Really turned me off of him, and wasn't sad to see him go.

But there's straight criminals in sports, folks who shouldn't have the luxury of getting the millions to play, yet still do. He's a nutcase, but the dude has also done charities for children with disabilities, and donated hella money during the cleanup of Hurricane Katrina.

I prolly won't change your opinion, I just find it odd that he of all people is your least favorite athlete.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So... is it because he was on a squad that beat your squad or... ?

KG is an ass, no doubt. I'm a Minnesota kid, I was a KG fan, sat 2nd row at the Target Center, shook hands with legit cool people like Marbury and Hoiberg, and Garnett would give you the cold shoulder if you're taking pictures or being cordial, unless he saw a press pass. Really turned me off of him, and wasn't sad to see him go.

But there's straight criminals in sports, folks who shouldn't have the luxury of getting the millions to play, yet still do. He's a nutcase, but the dude has also done charities for children with disabilities, and donated hella money during the cleanup of Hurricane Katrina.

I prolly won't change your opinion, I just find it odd that he of all people is your least favorite athlete.
Nope. It's because he never shuts his mouth and makes lame ass faces constantly. I can't stand watching him. He ruins most games he's in for me. Your story doesn't make me like him anymore either.

Sephzilla

Just curious, how often does KG talk tough to people who are on par/bigger than him size wise? I'm not a huge NBA guy but it seems like any time I saw him he was picking on guys smaller than him.

Prime Shaq or MJ would have probably destroyed this guy's psyche forever.

theWB27

Never liked KG either

His gameplay couldn't back up that loud mouth of his

Haha...lol....he dragged Minny teams every year to the playoffs in the stacked west with player like Wally S. It's laughable to suggest this when his best team in Minny consisted of Sprewell, Sam Cassell. As soon as he gets to a team with championship caliber players and a decent coach in Doc and wins a ring.

His game backed up every ounce of his loud mouth.

Just curious, how often does KG talk tough to people who are on par/bigger than him size wise? I'm not a huge NBA guy but it seems like any time I saw him he was picking on guys smaller than him.

He talked to everyone...even Tim Duncan. He played against Shaq in his prime...dude came into the league in 95. Year before Kobe. He was there with MJ. His psyche didn't get destroyed.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
can this please be a KG gif thread now? laughing my ass off with some of those :p

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!

Um... he held his own against prime Shaq.

Velcro Fly

will never forget when he called Charlie Villanueva a cancer patient while he was still on the Raptors. Fucking scum.

Audible

Banned
Man, KG reminds me of Quan Chi or some video game character. Dude is Fucking insane. Probably how he got a rating over 100 in a 2K game.

chessnut

Doesn't surprise me at all. Always wondered what KG could've done with a support system like TD had. Got a taste in Boston.

Yup, if only. Gotta respect that he stayed in Minny and never complained...of course the money he got didn't hurt, but still.

I love hearing KG stories and interviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGq0se0pzCA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef-f7EeDpYI

The guy just oozes passion. One of my favorite players of all time, top 5 PF too imo

theWB27

KG was always all bark and no bite
kgpeeler.gif

All I see is KG accomplishing what he sets out to do...get in ya head enough to make you do something stupid. Am I missing something else?

Yup, if only. Gotta respect that he stayed in Minny and never complained...of course the money he got didn't hurt, but still.

I love hearing KG stories and interviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGq0se0pzCA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef-f7EeDpYI

The guy just oozes passion. One of my favorite players of all time, top 5 PF too imo

He stayed too long though...glad he admitted it too.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
This is the first I've heard about KG being insane, but from this thread everyone else seems to already know that he's nuts. What else has he done that everyone already knows about?

All I see is KG accomplishing what he sets out to do...get in ya head enough to make you do something stupid. Am I missing something else?

he got chin checked and cowered from a guy 1 foot shorter than him. The tough guy act is just that. If you are going to talk trash back it up.

Because punching him back accomplishes what? Being "tough" means that you get into a fight and jeopardize things for your entire team by getting suspended? That's idiotic.

If you want the rep as a tough guy than you back it up. If you don't then don't talk shit or huff and puff. Guys like Oakley have their rep because of this. They backed it up. KG is more like a Lambeer. Just an annoying instigator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom