• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Busaiku

Good lord, what was that Club I picked up in Light vs Dark a few minutes back.
It was shaped like a sword and absolutely devastated everybody.

Went from getting killed twice in like a minute to destroying you Dark guys overwhelmingly.

How are points in a match determined?

There's times where I can suck like there's no tomorrow, don't ever seem to get any actual defeats, and end up with a good pile of points. I know you can lose them when you die too.

It's funny, I was doing TERRIBLE in team mode. I think my team has won a single match in all the games I've played so far.

I took a shot at the free for all, and was able to place in the top three in almost every match I played.

I attribute all my wins to a four and half star fireworks cannon with some speed boosts and continuous fire on it. Has worked WONDERS for me in multiplayer.

Boney

Banned
Another dark secret of the internet: A good portion of the people who will complain about KI controls will never play the game. They will just have heard that the game is hard to control and go into a thread to complain about it.

This happens with every single game.

my life will never be the same

psst why aren't we 3ds friends

it has quickly become my favorite 3DS title by far.

bu-but find mii II man!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It got on a lot of those bad lists because of the demo but from many of the impressions I've read the people who actually bought full game enjoyed it.

MGS Snake Eater 3D has a lot going for it.

A. It is still at its core MGS 3, one of the best games ever made.

B. Has some excellent texture work and 3D effects.

C. The bottom screen is really quite useful.

It has a lot not going for it mainly that a similarly priced HD collection of three MGS games came out before it and it really doesn't have any extra features to put it over the top and didn't turn out to look quite as good as the shown footage from the 3DS E3 video from way back when.

KI has actually been working against its initial E3 video backlash and has been putting up one hell of a fight. I originally had zero interest in this game based on initial impressions and even thought in the corner of my mind that maybe Sakurai had lost his touch. Since the beginning of the year though those impressions have very rapidly been changed and since getting the game it has quickly become my favorite 3DS title by far.

muu

And now you can all relate to what I felt with PES Wii controls critic reception.

Reviewers and some gamers don't have time to identify a gem if it's hidden behind a learning curve. What's different and outside of a standard/confort zone is quickly dismissed as broken.

I love KI controls, they are a big part of what makes this game special. And to conclude with my comparison, I'm glad to see far more people get it than with PES Playmaker.

I've heard about how MH Tri and Xenoblade's Wiimote controls are actually very very good, but I never took the classic controller off to try it. Of course, those are SP/coop games, and I don't believe the separate controls gave you a distinct advantage from a controls point of view.

I can understand some users that just somehow don't 'get' the controls to be vocal about the controls issue, but it's depressing to see so many 'professional' journalists that are failing in the same way. With all the shilled reviews we see these days (esp. the disparity of user response to AAA PS3/360 games vs the universal acclaim you see in reviews) I can't help but wonder if it's a topic they picked so they can artificially bring scores down.

KevinCow

Banned
I don't know how anyone could play this game and not be won over by the dialogue.

Yeah, there are some jokes that made me roll my eyes a bit, and there are some awkward line deliveries here and there. But even when that happens, it's still done with such infectious enthusiasm.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
my life will never be the same

psst why aren't we 3ds friends

bu-but find mii II man!

Find Mii II is soo good, so I guess I divide it into favorite 3DS retail, eshop, and built in.

FM II is king of built in software.

Also next time I grab my 3DS I'll PM you my friend code.

NeoRausch

Yeah, we get 3 Slots. But I have been trying to delete a save but haven't figure out how yet. Anyone can help?
On the load file-menu (the books) just press R (or was L) to promt. A message that will show you how to delete that file.

also:

DONE AND DONE! What a ride that was!

DAT GAME! THNX!

Diffense

I played a level at intensity 0 to concentrate on dialogs only (english isn't my mother tongue and sometimes I need to read the subtitles).

Basically you are invincible at this difficulty level.

It made me realize 6 years old kids could probably go through the chapters and complete this game, which -as we know- can be such a hardcore experience.

GENIUS.

Fun fact:
Some of the script changes on higher intensities. I've noticed it in the boss battles.

Jintor

Genuinely pretty surprised at the lack of reviews so far.

This is definitely the biggest 3DS game of the year so far, so maybe reviews like Giant Bomb and Game|Life are taking a while.

GiantBomb is going to take a while. Brad has nerve issues in his hand, and
I think he will probably be caught flat-footed by the reveal in Chapter 9

Chapter
:
what a freaking amazing level. oh my god I love the design for Hades. I cannot even handle wrrraaaaagh

Nintendo did everything right for this game. Everything. Goddamn.

Haha, man, I'm trying to get this -2 shot defense off of my Cursed Palm and maybe move on to a Blade or another Palm. Every single time I fuse some of my other weapons to fuse with it, though, the shot defense won't come off... or the stats are really bad. Man oh man, it's gonna take me a while to do this right.

Giolon

Fun fact:
Some of the script changes on higher intensities. I've noticed it in the boss battles.

Really? Now I fear I'll never encounter my aforementioned favorite line from the trailers (Palutena: "Big monsters kill Pit, GRRR!") I need it to happen so I can die of amusement.

Neiteio

On the load file-menu (the books) just press R (or was L) to promt. A message that will show you how to delete that file.
There's no way to easily delete your file by accident, is there? What exactly comes up when you tap L or R on a file?

Really? Now I fear I'll never encounter my aforementioned favorite line from the trailers (Palutena: "Big monsters kill Pit, GRRR!") I need it to happen so I can die of amusement.
This line happens at random in a variety of chapters. Same for the balding wings joke. I heard each of them repeat on different chapters (Chapter 2, Chapter 7, etc).

Giolon

There's no way to easily delete your file by accident, is there? What exactly comes up when you tap L or R on a file?

This line happens at random in a variety of chapters. Same for the balding wings joke. I heard each of them repeat on different chapters (Chapter 2, Chapter 7, etc).

But now I have to try to figure out at what difficulties given the revelation that the lines change based on intensity. T.T

Effect

Do online matches sometimes turn into Dragon Ball Z like matches for anyone else? Not just in terms of beams being fired but the constant dodging people do in regard to them and even when it comes to melee attacks. Start attacking someone and they dodge only to circle behind you resulting in you doing it to them just to break away and to it all over again. Insane amount of fun. :)

When matches get like that I don't even care if I don't get a kill at that moment. The encounter was that much fun. I don't even think about the controls anymore. I do wish the multiplayer record contained more information though. I also haven't had any lag at all. Has anyone been able to tell if you are playing against bots or not in a match?

bitoriginal

Should be getting this in the post tomorrow, cannot wait. The response to this game has been almost universal praise besides issues with controls.

Neiteio

But now I have to try to figure out at what difficulties given the revelation that the lines change based on intensity. T.T
I don't think it's confirmed lines change with the selected intensity. Rather, some people might be confusing other things that change lines, like the order you destroy Hewdraw's heads in, or if you take one path instead of another on levels that allow it.

Evenflow

I just dropped in to say, the first hour or so I hated the game... but once I started using the stand and got the controls down and popped on some headphones, about 5 hrs in I can easily say this is one of the best if not top 5 games for me ever.

Neiteio

image.php

All you guys have convinced me to buy this. Traded in Modnation Vita for $24 (BBY has a 50% extra trade in credit running right now). $7 out of pocket.

Boogiepop

Pure melee... seems like a not so good idea. Just got crushed pretty hard trying to do chapter 8 with my six star melee, zero range Pandora Claws and... it took some effort, and I ended up getting knocked down from 8 to, like, 5.

mu-chan

Neo Member
I just found out that when you get knocked into the air in land battles, you can tap L right before you hit the ground to land on your feet instead of your back.

Frickin' Sakurai. What other little control gems are in here?

Jintor

I just found out that when you get knocked into the air in land battles, you can tap L right before you hit the ground to land on your feet instead of your back.

No limits on air recovery? goddamn!

Busaiku

Im sorry but I like not having to aim at all even during flight mode :p Meteor bow = LOL That shit WILL TURN CORNERS AND HIT SHIT YOU ARE NOT EVEN AIMING AT

Turn off homing!
Don't be a scrub!
Jintor said:
No limits on air recovery? goddamn!
There should be quick rise on standard knockdowns as well.
Just press L as soon as you hit the ground, and you should glow gray and get up faster.

I might just be confusing it with
The Cursed Ring
though.

PKrockin

Now that we know teching is back, we just need someone to confirm wavedashing.

OMG Aero

Palms will change your life.
There's even one that shoots Hearts.
Right now I'm using a pretty cool ninja one that shoots throwing knives.
I'm not exactly sure what makes palms different to claws in general though. It would be nice if you got the idol for a weapon as soon as you get that weapon, the game itself doesn't really tell you anything about a weapon until you happen to get its idol.

NeoRausch

Ok,

Tap on a file you want to DELETE, press (and hold) the L-Button (this will promt a "how to"-message), while holding L you need to press R,X,Y, D-PAD right.

now the file will be ereased. I think the chances of doing that accidently are rather small ;)

Busaiku

Palms generally have better range and better dash attacks.
The Charge shots also have huge range and do a good amount of damage.

Top Bottom