• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

DGRE

Banned
I've had a couple 2000+ games in light vs. dark and quite a few more in FFA.

My loadout:

Babel Club with Quick Charge Lvl. 3 and Flame. It's brutal.

Ragus

Banned
If someone told me a year ago, that I would enjoy this game as much as I do, I'd laugh.

For me, there are some Nintendo games that are just perfect. Yoshi's Island is perfect, Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 are perfect, and now a new challenger joins the party.

Seriously, Kid Icarus Uprising is not only the best game on 3DS, it's one of the best games I've played in recent years. If in 2013 there will be a Neogaf GOTY 2012 voting thread, I think I have my candidate.

Sakurai and Team Sora - thank you for creating this masterpiece.

btw. Am I the only one who likes to turn on 3DS and just mess around in KI:U main menu? You know, check some weapons, make an idol or two or just chill while listening to glorious main menu music.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If someone told me a year ago, that I would enjoy this game as much as I do, I'd laugh.

For me, there are some Nintendo games that are just perfect. Yoshi's Island is perfect, Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 are perfect, and now a new challenger joins the party.

Seriously, Kid Icarus Uprising is not only the best game on 3DS, it's one of the best games I've played in recent years. If in 2013 there will be a Neogaf GOTY 2012 voting thread, I think I have my candidate.

Sakurai and Team Sora - thank you for creating this masterpiece.

btw. Am I the only one who likes to turn on 3DS and just mess around in KI:U main menu? You know, check some weapons, make an idol or two or just chill while listening to glorious main menu music.

You can go to the sound test, pick a song there, and listen to it while you do all that :p

Bullza2o

Me. I also just spent my whole game time for today on the fusion menu. It irritated me heh. I make weapons with good stats; I make weapons with good attributes. I try to combine both and they never yield a preferable product :(

EDIT:
Oh and the menu music was stuck in my head the whole day... So awesome but at the same time it makes me lose my focus.

Zebra

After I discovered that the music player keeps playing whatever song you choose even after you exit the player, I spent a hell of a lot more time floating around the menus than I ever would have expected to.

Those complaints rarely have anything to do with difficulty and everything to do with aesthetic.
It's the wildest thing when my brother-in-law tries to convince me that a game is "for adults" when it has lots of blood in it, and Nintendo games are "for kids" because they don't. Convincing him that the kids are the ones obsessed with the need for feeling like they play games "for adults" would require him to be beyond that mentality, unfortunately.

kidding me I just sit in the menu moving the menu buttons around.

Haha, man, I'm trying to get this -2 shot defense off of my Cursed Palm and maybe move on to a Blade or another Palm. Every single time I fuse some of my other weapons to fuse with it, though, the shot defense won't come off... or the stats are really bad. Man oh man, it's gonna take me a while to do this right.
I sacrificed half of my weapons to try and get a Meteor Bow with 6 stars ranged and +3 to hearts...the combination didn't carry the hearts over. -_- I want to know the sciiiience behind this!

Im sorry but I like not having to aim at all even during flight mode :p Meteor bow = LOL That shit WILL TURN CORNERS AND HIT SHIT YOU ARE NOT EVEN AIMING AT
Yes, love the Meteor Bow! So sad that I lost my super powerful one.

It was the only time I was able to break 2000 points in Light vs. Dark.

DGRE

Banned
I sacrificed half of my weapons to try and get a Meteor Bow with 6 stars ranged and +3 to hearts...the combination didn't carry the hearts over. -_- I want to know the sciiiience behind this!

It should highlight the skills that are carrying over.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Hiding some of the music behind Challenge Wall pieces is freaking evil genius. I just want to listen to the music by itself, but they're making me work for a lot of it. And I'm going to do it without complaining because the music is so damn good. I do wish they would tell us what each challenge unlocks ahead of time.

When the Best Soundtrack of 2012 voting begins, I bet this game will be my choice for #1.

Bullza2o

I know, that's not my point sir. I didn't actually make the combination, I mean that carrying the stat over wasn't an option, so all of the sacrifices kind of went to waste.
I know how you feel. I'd find out I can get a 5 star rating weapon, but then it would only carry the stats that are +1 or negatives. I was quite upset.

Boogiepop

I just love it when you finish a level and a ton of things mark off in the treasure hunt! :) Having beaten the game, I'm going through each level again and trying to grab whatever boxes I can. Just beat the Kraken with a Bullet Blade and got like 5 different things checked off!

Also, does anyone else find the high heart requirements linked to the upper difficulties a bit of a pain? I mean, I get that the payoff is higher in the higher levels so it's a risk/reward thing, but I feel like it would be fine just leaving it as it is and just having it kick you down as you die like it does now.
Yes, I realize there'd be no incentive NOT to start on 9 then, but still.
Just had to start on 7.8 instead of 8 like I wanted due to lack of hearts, and then after dying twice was locked out of a 6 door IMMEDIATELY afterwards. Feels bad. :(

DGRE

Banned
I just love it when you finish a level and a ton of things mark off in the treasure hunt! :) Having beaten the game, I'm going through each level again and trying to grab whatever boxes I can. Just beat the Kraken with a Bullet Blade and got like 5 different things checked off!

Also, does anyone else find the high heart requirements linked to the upper difficulties a bit of a pain? I mean, I get that the payoff is higher in the higher levels so it's a risk/reward thing, but I feel like it would be fine just leaving it as it is and just having it kick you down as you die like it does now.
Yes, I realize there'd be no incentive NOT to start on 9 then, but still.
Just had to start on 7.8 instead of 8 like I wanted due to lack of hearts, and then after dying twice was locked out of a 6 door IMMEDIATELY afterwards. Feels bad. :(

It really is the point, though. Stop buying weapons! It's not worth it!

hatchx

Banned
I think clubs are a bit unfairly balanced in free-for-all.

Last night I was just stealing kills left, right, and centre. I'm not sure how the scoring goes, be it just the damage you give, or if it subtracts the damage you take or factors in kills/deaths. All I know is there was always two clubs in the top three.

Anth0ny

Just finished stage 5.

Game of the year.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Sakurai take a shot at a new Star Fox game. I was getting some serious Star Fox vibes from that stage.

Just met Shadow the Hedgehog >_>

Just finished stage 5.

Game of the year.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Sakurai take a shot at a new Star Fox game. I was getting some serious Star Fox vibes from that stage.

Just met Shadow the Hedgehog >_>

Don't insult Dark Pit like that. Shadow the Hedgehog? Really? He's a much better character than Shadow.

I had to play chapter 17 on intensity 2 :( the level just kicked my ass, probably my least favorite level for on foot combat. I wish I didnt fuse my claws into a staff, never again.

I haven't really been attracted in the least to picking up a 3DS until I started hearing about this game. I guess my question is: Is Kid Icarus Uprising worth getting a 3DS for? I love my Vita but wasn't too impressed with the 3D tech of the DS so it seemed kind of pointless initially. Though hearing the praise you guys are giving this game is making me think twice. How's the online play?

ryushe

Why are we not talking about what's really important here? By which I mean the powers -- and by which I really mean how insanely cool the bumblebee power is.

I haven't really been attracted in the least to picking up a 3DS until I started hearing about this game. I guess my question is: Is Kid Icarus Uprising worth getting a 3DS for? I love my Vita but wasn't too impressed with the 3D tech of the DS so it seemed kind of pointless initially. Though hearing the praise you guys are giving this game is making me think twice. How's the online play?
At the risk of sounding like an overzealous Nintendo fanboy, I gotta say, if this game came out before the Vita's launch, I would've held of on getting one so early just because of this game, especially since Gravity Daze is still a few months away.

I've had a 3DS from day one and while I did love it, personally 3D Land was the first game that I felt was worth buying a 3DS for. I absolutely love that game, enough to 100% it (Even going to do a shiney star profile run and I don't do stuff like that in games), it's even right under Galaxy and SMB3 in terms of quality... that's how much I love that game... Kid Icarus: Uprising dances all over Mario and his 3D Land as if they're both paraplegics.

It really is that good.

KevinCow

Banned
Dark Pit made me groan a bit when they first revealed him in trailers. Another dark doppelganger? Really, Nintendo?

But they actually use him pretty well and make him matter by the end of the game, I think.

PKrockin

Dark Pit made me groan a bit when they first revealed him in trailers. Another dark doppelganger? Really, Nintendo?

But they actually use him pretty well and make him matter by the end of the game, I think.

That's good to hear. I thought the same thing when I saw the trailer.

Prinny

Argh, I always get error 006-0612 when I try to join a game. This wasn't happening a few days ago.

Edit: No error in MK.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
(Chapter
spoiler.)

Sakurai: "Here we have a game that draw heavily from Greek mythology. Do you guys know what it really needs?"
Developers: "What?"
Sakurai: "
Aliens.
"

That crazy bastard.

After getting a better handle on the controls, I'm really starting to love ground stages. I am having some trouble with the areas where you have to navigate a narrow walkway and can fall off though. That's more the dashing/circle pad though I think.

Is there a list somewhere of what intensity gates are where in the chapters?

PKrockin

What the heck Amazon. Where is my Kid Icarus 3D Classic download code?? :mad:

I preordered a week ahead of time. It should have been emailed within two days of shipping, right? Anyone else have this problem?

Top Bottom