• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

braves01

Banned
Honestly, I've had no problems with hand cramping whatsoever. I've got the Nyko battery pack attached, giving the 3ds a little more junk in the trunk to hold on to, which helps. The big thing is auto fire holding down L. I expected to absolutely hate the controls since they're the same as MP Hunters for the most part, but like I said, no comfort problems so far even during hour long sessions.

I was certainly surprised at how awesome he is.

The weird thing is, he really is Shadow the Hedgehog to a certain extent...just something about the way this game carries itself and handles its characters makes it ok.

Maybe it's because it never takes itself too seriously, or maybe it's the breakneck pace that makes you feel like you're getting to know these characters even though you've only ever heard a couple of minutes of dialogue from them.

They're all such archetypes that you already know exactly what role they're going to play, so it just gets right down to business.

I feel almost embarrassed when I play at higher difficulty because I always fail horribly with certain enemies. Like at 8.0 difficulty I will do well until I get to one enemy with a specific pattern and end up a difficulty level 5. I have only myself to blame for messing up that much. I don't have a problem with the controls most of the time, but when you can fall off the platform when trying to evade enemies by dodging it is bad design. Also that driving vehicle has the worst controls (reminds me of when I first drove in Halo: Combat Evolved) but at least the other stuff is manageable.

So far I love the game. As everyone else has already expressed it is something special and is very addictive. I don't really laugh at the dialogues most of the time, but I really enjoy listening to them. It is rare to find a game with so much charm.

Could anyone make me a Viridis goddess avatar?
I love how eco-conscious she is and agree with her ideals :p

Oh yeah, fuck narrow platforms where you're under enemy fire. I keep dodging off the sides.

Yeah I agree which is one of the games weaknesses in terms of design.

Boogiepop

Any enemies tend to kind of trip you guys up? For some reason the bowling ball bug thing always seems to end up taking off way too much of my health.

New weapon.
  • Weapon: Pandora Claws
  • Range: ***
  • Melee: * and a half
  • Value: 250
  • Poison +2
  • Running speed +1
  • Forward Dash charge +4
  • side dash cout. fire +1
  • In peril autododge +2
btw doing all of this on an none smart phone is a bitch.

Hale-XF11

Gawd, the Together Menu music track just totally does it for me. I love that song so much, especially when it hits the 1:15 mark. I wanna cry, it's so good.

Anyone happen to know who wrote and arranged that track?

backlot

What the heck Amazon. Where is my Kid Icarus 3D Classic download code?? :mad:

I preordered a week ahead of time. It should have been emailed within two days of shipping, right? Anyone else have this problem?

I got my code on release day. You should email them and see what's up.

man I have been trying to stop playing this game but now I want to try and find Meteo Bow and Bumblebee Power?

you guys stop tempting me to put more hours into this

ryushe

Any enemies tend to kind of trip you guys up? For some reason the bowling ball bug thing always seems to end up taking off way too much of my health.
The enemy where you have to shot when it's one color, and melee it when it's another.

Personally, I love that they have such a unique enemy in the game, but yeah, 'eff those guys.

Jintor

Damn those spinning turtle enemies and Mimicuties being able to absorb a ridiculous amount of firepower

Dodging spinning is a biiiiiitch

Bullza2o

Awesome games!! GG to sori, Greg, Daniel, and Henry. GG to Ace too earlier. Wow this is so fun! I got a lucky 9 kills too haha.

Great 2v2 too ;)

Managed to get a super high weapon on 9.0

Royal Blade
Ranged: 3
Melee: 1 1/2
Overall defense: +4
Health: +6
Poison: +1
Running speed: +1
Backward dash ch. shot + 2
Side-Dash con. Fire +4
Value: 338

Poyunch

I feel so bad. My average difficulty is going down as go down the later levels. Typically I'm at around 7.5-8.0 now I only ever complete at 6.0. :(

DGRE

Banned
Great games guys. I'm Daniel in game BTW. Man, who is Henry?? You completely schooled me in that pit vs. pittoo match!

Bullza2o

Great games guys. I'm Daniel in game BTW. Man, who is Henry?? You completely schooled me in that pit vs. pittoo match!
Oh so it was you! You're really good, you carried our team during 2v2 hehe. Henry is my friend's little brother. I think he's still in middle school.

Just got done with Chapter 7 after taking a few days off.

Okay...if it keeps getting better like everyone is saying after THIS, I don't see how this isn't Nintendo's GOTY until an HD Metroid made by Retro pops up.

Why are we not talking about what's really important here? By which I mean the powers -- and by which I really mean how insanely cool the bumblebee power is.

At the risk of sounding like an overzealous Nintendo fanboy, I gotta say, if this game came out before the Vita's launch, I would've held of on getting one so early just because of this game, especially since Gravity Daze is still a few months away.

I've had a 3DS from day one and while I did love it, personally 3D Land was the first game that I felt was worth buying a 3DS for. I absolutely love that game, enough to 100% it (Even going to do a shiney star profile run and I don't do stuff like that in games), it's even right under Galaxy and SMB3 in terms of quality... that's how much I love that game... Kid Icarus: Uprising dances all over Mario and his 3D Land as if they're both paraplegics.

It really is that good.

Well crap. That's awfully high praise that's difficult to ignore. I'm just trying not to fall into the hype machine that sometimes is accurate (Vita) and sometimes not (Mutant Blobs Attack/Journey)...I'm basically deciding between buying this and an Aliens vs. Predator CPS2 board...seems I'd get more playtime out of this. Thanks for the feedback.

sfried

I haven't really been attracted in the least to picking up a 3DS until I started hearing about this game. I guess my question is: Is Kid Icarus Uprising worth getting a 3DS for? I love my Vita but wasn't too impressed with the 3D tech of the DS so it seemed kind of pointless initially. Though hearing the praise you guys are giving this game is making me think twice. How's the online play?
Kid Icarus Uprising will change your mind about the 3DS. The controls might have a steep learning curve but makes sense given the context of the action. This game will grab you and it won't let go. Nothing about this game is "pointless".

Yes, Kid Icarus Uprising is definitively worth the price of admission of buying a 3DS, but the 3DS already has a ton of other great software in it so why just get it just for this game?

Online play is great and stable, but it can get quite hectic. It's best you play through singleplayer to familiarize yourself with certain items and build up a good arsenal to bring to multiplayer.

(Also needs a Reggie "What is wrong with you" gif.)

And do yourself a favor after buying this: Don't visit this thread (or avoid the internet entirely) until you beat the whole single player campaign. Part of the fun is the surprises that come with the game.

DGRE

Banned
Oh so it was you! You're really good, you carried our team during 2v2 hehe. Henry is my friend's little brother. I think he's still in middle school.

Thanks man! It's not me, though! Babel Club dude. I won't shut up about it. The charge tornado is killer and if I match it up right with a flame burst I can get double and triple kills often.

Not to mention, your team easily punished me over and over once I moved over. Haha! I really love that the tide can change so drastically from game to game.

Bullza2o

Thanks man! It's not me, though! Babel Club dude. I won't shut up about it. The charge tornado is killer and if I match it up right with a flame burst I can get double and triple kills often.

Not to mention, your team easily punished me over and over once I moved over. Haha! I really love that the tide can change so drastically from game to game.
Yeah that tornado was amazing
I hated it when I was against you; I got friggin stuck on the roof one time and felt hopeless haha
. Yeah the 2v2 you did a good job on attacking while I just kept on hiding when I was the angel.

Finally got a Streetpass tag from someone else who owns the game

You can get up to 50 gems at a single time
Ah finally, Sakurai truly knows how many items should be streetpassed.

Doorman

I can never seem to shake the feeling that I need to get waaaay better weaponry than what I've had so far. So many of my weapon fusions feel like just lateral moves at best, though, it seems like they're really trying to force a decision between crafting a weapon with a lot of raw power bonus or something with particularly strong skills attached.

Like this set of Paw Pad Orbitars I have, I'm not very fond of using them, but I can't just abandon the +6 defense bonus either. Almost anything I try to fuse it with won't carry that one over, and on the rare occasion it does, it always seems to be with one of my other best weapons and the finished product would take a massive step down in power. Curses!

I need to get into playing online more, but I'm already so slow at working through the campaign because of how badly the game's cramping my hand. Even the stand doesn't help much, it just winds up getting in the way of my hand and just makes things uncomfortable in a different way. I like the game a lot but at this rate it's gonna give me early arthritis.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So I Got my club Nintendo cards in. Three of them, one being Pualitina (rare). I wonder exactly how rare it really is....

Boogiepop

I have to say, the controls make a lot of sense once you realize they're made for combat, not really so much about actively getting around. That said, I really wish they didn't penalize for falling off edges. Most of the time that happens to me it's just an accidental dash shooting me off on a fairly straight path, but the amount of health you lose is just brutal.

hatchx

Banned
I can never seem to shake the feeling that I need to get waaaay better weaponry than what I've had so far. So many of my weapon fusions feel like just lateral moves at best, though, it seems like they're really trying to force a decision between crafting a weapon with a lot of raw power bonus or something with particularly strong skills attached.

Like this set of Paw Pad Orbitars I have, I'm not very fond of using them, but I can't just abandon the +6 defense bonus either. Almost anything I try to fuse it with won't carry that one over, and on the rare occasion it does, it always seems to be with one of my other best weapons and the finished product would take a massive step down in power. Curses!

I need to get into playing online more, but I'm already so slow at working through the campaign because of how badly the game's cramping my hand. Even the stand doesn't help much, it just winds up getting in the way of my hand and just makes things uncomfortable in a different way. I like the game a lot but at this rate it's gonna give me early arthritis.

Yeah, good items aren't given out. I saw a 294 with some nice percs go out online last night.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
What I wouldn't give for a Merenguy grenade during multiplayer. Just throw it and suddenly people in a certain area after to aim toward it.

Doorman

mimic treasure boxes are a pain

I was shocked the first one I encountered just how much health it took off from me. Damn thing made me paranoid about treasure boxes for the rest of the level. >_> The design is funny and all, until that
hyakuretsukyaku
comes busting out of nowhere.

jrDev

So guys...this is really good! Really!

I tried to play level 1 on difficulty 9 and got slaughtered in the first 10 secs. >_> I kept trying till the cauldron drop me to 7 and I still couldn't beat it...

Anyways, atleast I beat level 5 and got the
twin bellows cannon
:p

Top Bottom