• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

control system took me the grand amount of two mminutes to get used to. I found moving Pit a bit troublesome on flight levels because I kept forgetting to move the pad

Sterling, you lardass

Jintor

Went to pick this up in Brisbane but as usual all the JB's/Targets/Big W's had no stock, and EB had them at a totally reasonable $68. I refused to pay that so I'll wait til tomorrow and see how I go.

I need more aussies to play with! All these Japanese players are destroying me

Veal

I bought a circle pad pro only to find that there's no options for it! What gives?

There is no dual analog for this game. There is the ability to use the ZL and ZR triggers. You'll have to assign controls to the L and R buttons to use them. To use the ZL trigger to attack, set attack to R. It's backwards for some reason.

So how replayable is this game? How much content overall (in terms of hours, not including any multiplayer that might be included)?

I'm thinking about blind buying this. I am a huge Nintendo fan, but I care about Kid Icarus about as much as I care about third party Wii shovelware. But the positive reaction has gotten me interested.

So how replayable is this game? How much content overall (in terms of hours, not including any multiplayer that might be included)?

I'm thinking about blind buying this. I am a huge Nintendo fan, but I care about Kid Icarus about as much as I care about third party Wii shovelware. But the positive reaction has gotten me interested.

Re-playable by infinite hours! but seriously the way the game is designed with its tons of "achievements", and different difficulty settings (on a scale from 0.0 - 9.0) makes it difficult to do everything in 100% in 30 hours. Of course if you just play the game the easy way it wont last you that long, but you will be encouraged to go back to levels and see the differences on a higher difficulty.

I cleared some more chapters since yesterday, and I like all the surprises that come with every new chapter. However I am not thrilled about all the levels and their length. At times it is more fun to replay the old chapters with an intense difficulty than threading through some of the later levels.

I'm playing this games for three days and it's like masturbating with sand paper: its wonderful but what a pain. In other words: the control scheme is really horrible.

I know that feel bro =(

I just got my copy today and immediately spent a damn hour in the options menu (which is fantastic btw) trying to find a scheme I could handle (lefty) then had to head back to work.

Kid Icarus should have been on the Wii ...but then again, I can understand Nintendo conceding that it was on it's way out and struck the iron while it was hot with the 3DS. I'm forever grateful that it looks like this game will get both the sales and recognition is deserves

I just hope I actually play it T__T

This game's replay value is honestly off the charts. Just imagine all of the extra content in a game like Smash Bros. Brawl only in a different style of game with an extremely rewarding and lengthy SP campaign. There are hundreds of idols (figurines of everything from enemies to landmarks) to unlock, hundreds of achievements to get, and limitless weapon combinations to create, find, and buy.

I have no idea how long it would take you to do "everything" (let's just assume that means get all of the achievements and idols), but I'm guessing well over the 100 hour mark.

Busaiku

I spent like 30 mins. trying to figure it out what unlocks this song. Guess what? It's
Destroy 230 enemies and clear the chapter
It's next to impossible unless you lower it to 0.0 so you can one hit everything during the air section. I ended up getting just 2 more than I needed so its really strict. Good luck!

It would be impossible to do on 0.0, cause there wouldn't be enemies.
It's really very, very easy.

As long as you're playing at 7.0 or above, you should be well over the threshold for those types of challenges.

NeoRausch

i can't even answer this question.

well let's see. playing trought all chapters once....maybee around 12 hrs. but after that the shit will hit the fan.

ALL the stuff you can do, unlock, replay on high difficulty, forge weapons, custom, your skill set, earn monies till you die...then gist it all to the goddess for no reason.

AND MULTIPLAYER (yeah i saw that you didn't wan't it to included, but it's such a big part of the game.)

THIS GAME! BUY IT!

EDIT:

I have no idea how long it would take you to do "everything" (let's just assume that means get all of the achievements and idols), but I'm guessing well over the 100 hour mark.

funny thing though:

now i just played trought the game + a few hours of multi and i'm allready at (around) 78% completion.

i guess from here on it's just 0.01% steps every hour :lol

1) I played the first stage like 10 times the first time I played the game. Tweaking things here and there. I'm only on chapter 8 and without spoiling anything, I have much farther to go. I've put like 15 hours into the game. The replay value is off the charts.

2) If you are a huge Nintendo fan, you will be a huge fan of this game. Gameplay, graphics, music (let me say that again: music), unlockables, achievements, tons of fan service, etc...I haven't had this much fun playing a Nintendo game since the first time I played Super Mario Galaxy.

3) This game is as far on the opposite end of the spectrum from shovelware as you can get.

In short, this is the smartest purchase you can make for the 3DS.

NeoRausch

2) If you are a huge Nintendo fan, you will be a huge fan of this game. Gameplay, graphics, music (let me say that again: music), unlockables, achievements, tons of fan service, etc...I haven't had this much fun playing a Nintendo game since the first time I played Super Mario Galaxy.

no shit, this game is a nintendo circle jerk (in the good way). i don't even know hown many games they've talked about/ made fun of while i played this game.

somebody gotta do a refference list :p

Chunky

I like how the second
act is basically Metal Slug 2's plot, ie you're up against the regular baddies at first but then aliens happen, so you all team up to win the good fight for Earth.

Weird said:
funny thing though:

now i just played trought the game + a few hours of multi and i'm allready at (around) 78% completion.

i guess from here on it's just 0.01% steps every hour :lol
Yeah man, that's how it goes. :p

I like how the second
act is basically Metal Slug 2's plot, ie you're up against the regular baddies at first but then aliens happen, so you all team up to win the good fight for Earth.
Metal Slug 2 is the best Metal Slug! Having similarities to that game can never be a bad thing (minus the insane slowdown, I suppose).

Another interesting thing I noticed is that during the flying sections if you're near ground you can land and run really fast instead. For example
on Chapter 13: The Lunar Sanctum towards the end when infiltrating the base, you can run on the ground instead of flying.
Just thought that was another interesting small touch that this game is full of.

NeoRausch

Another interesting thing I noticed is that during the flying sections if you're near ground you can land and run really fast instead. For example
on Chapter 13: The Lunar Sanctum towards the end when infiltrating the base, you can run on the ground instead of flying.
Just thought that was another interesting small touch that this game is full of.

you know what's even cooler? running on the ground in flying sections gains you points!

EDIT:

"SHUTAP BITCH OR MY PILLAR GETS LIMP! "

ah good old times where Pit was the head.

Solid review that ended up being overlooked. I really liked your writing style guy, keep it up in the future♪

I liked this writing as well,
It's hard for me to write like this because I inhale the amazing volume of the game and it leaves me in bated breath.

Thank you for your kind words, and everyone else who gave it a click.

I love the Spotpass gem in the morning. Perfect incentive to fire the game up again.

Datschge

Gawd, the Together Menu music track just totally does it for me. I love that song so much, especially when it hits the 1:15 mark. I wanna cry, it's so good.

Anyone happen to know who wrote and arranged that track?
Main theme is by Motoi Sakuraba, arrangements and reuses like this one likely as well by the sound of it.

Asked this before without getting an answer: The Music Gallery doesn't mention who composed/arranged a piece, does it?

NeoRausch

Main theme is by Motoi Sakuraba, arrangements and reuses like this one likely as well by the sound of it.

Asked this before without getting an answer: The Music Gallery doesn't mention who composed/arranged a piece, does it?

nope just the title... that's it (sucky!)

zroid

Banned
Between wrapping up ME3, and then getting started on ToGf, I've regrettably not had much time to play this game...

And of course Xenoblade is barely a week away.

I'm thinking of just blitzing the rest of the campaign on 2.0 so I can see what happens. I'll get involved in the loot whoring and other stuff when I have more time.

NeoRausch

ok now.... i'm just sitting here and listen to the fucktastic soundtrack (Chapter 5 atm. i guess that one is by koshiro)

I NEED THAT SHIT AS CD OR MP3!

EDIT:

aaaaand i just realized: i could rip it myself trough the headphone-jack. not the best but at least a way to get that music on my phone.

This game!

This game is sex for my eyes, and sex for my ears. Sometimes is even sex for my fingers, although ground controls can be sort of coitus interruptus.

Yesterday I was up till 3 a.m. to get weapons in MP. Now I have a bow with 300+ and a lot of stars. Too bad I don't really like bows to fight on foot.

Tuck

The level with the death star has my favorite quote so far. Pit is talking to the bad guy and is like 'Why are you talking like that? Normal bad guys should be like... 'I'm gonna KEEL you!'"

Amazing.

salpa

Banned
It's very disheartening at the amount of reviews that played it for a few minutes, never took the time to get used to the controls, and bashed the game into oblivion.

StAidan

Played through chapter 8 this morning. Just keeps getting better and better! I really need to find some better weapons though, I've not managed to collect anything over 2 stars (would have expected more from Intensity 7.5). I've had some options for 3 stars with fusing, but not resulting in weapons that I'd actually want to use.

I've pretty much gotten used to the controls at this point. The hardest time I have with them now is when trying to dodge enemy fire on narrow platforms -- I fall off a lot.

Bullza2o

Played through chapter 8 this morning. Just keeps getting better and better! I really need to find some better weapons though, I've not managed to collect anything over 2 stars (would have expected more from Intensity 7.5). I've had some options for 3 stars with fusing, but not resulting in weapons that I'd actually want to use.

I've pretty much gotten used to the controls at this point. The hardest time I have with them now is when trying to dodge enemy fire on narrow platforms -- I fall off a lot.
Intensity 8 is where it's at. Although I've only done that successfully in chapter 1..

It's hard to imagine a handheld title any time soon out performing KIU. This game almost seems universally loved, even by those that gripe about the controls.

Zomba13

My game still hasn't arrived. I don't know why I keep ordering stuff from the hut. 10% off wasn't worth waiting a week. I should have payed £3 more and got it from Shopto instead.

If it doesn't come tomorrow I may well cry :(

KevinCow

Banned

I guess this has been answered a few times, but I'll throw in my input.

In terms of content, it'll probably take you about ten hours to get through the first time. But then you'll collect new weapons to use, which you might fuse to make better weapons, which you'll use to play on a higher difficulty, which will net you better weapons, which you'll fuse to make better weapons, which you'll use to play on an even higher difficulty, which will net you even better weapons...

As for not caring about Kid Icarus? Doesn't matter. At all. This game will make you care about its characters and world more than the original games ever could have.

Neiteio

You can even run along three-headed Hewdraw's back when you approach him from behind.

(No, that's not a spoiler.)

Sinthetic

My game still hasn't arrived. I don't know why I keep ordering stuff from the hut. 10% off wasn't worth waiting a week. I should have payed £3 more and got it from Shopto instead.

If it doesn't come tomorrow I may well cry :(

Awww. How does that work out? I pre-ordered from The Hut and got it Thursday before release.

Dr.Hadji

We need to organize a Kid Icarus Uprising tournament!

Seriously. I mean, like, what the hell, there can be two tournaments or more!

Light vs. Dark - 2vs2, 3vs3
Free-For-All: 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 players at once.

I seriously want this to happen but I am too stupid to organize something like that. :(

This needs to happen. If no one else does it I could. Thew plenty of Smash tourneys in my day.

Top Bottom