• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's very disheartening at the amount of reviews that played it for a few minutes, never took the time to get used to the controls, and bashed the game into oblivion.

Mmm, half agree, but I do think (as per my review) the absurd learning curve and control oddities deserve criticism. I can understand why people would be so turned off without spending time to adapt to the controls and, to be honest, for some people that's a make-or-break situation. It might seem okay to you or me, but for some wrestling with the controls just means the game isn't worth it.

That and the game is screwed for left handed users.

Insaniac

Mmm, half agree, but I do think (as per my review) the absurd learning curve and control oddities deserve criticism. I can understand why people would be so turned off without spending time to adapt to the controls and, to be honest, for some people that's a make-or-break situation. It might seem okay to you or me, but for some wrestling with the controls just means the game isn't worth it.

while I feel sorry for the lefties out there (I'm a righty but I play Lefty on FPS so I know the feeling when games don't include southpaw), I basically jumped into a land game, cranked the sensitivity to max, and got used to the controls really really quickly.

what I really came here to say though is that after about an hour of total multiplayer playtime I am really starting to get the feel of the multiplayer, at least my own play style. (prefer palms, with charging shots as I approach and then dashing cont. shot, and move in for a melee.)

Also, is there any real rhyme or reason to weapon fusion that I should keep in mind? like how two weapons fusions will determine A) The attributes passed over, and B) the Star rating? Also why is it that some weapons just can't fuse together?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

Come on, the original Kid Ucarus is harder to master than this one by several levels of magnitude. So is any fighting game or RTS. The learning curve is NOT absurd.

Croc

Banned
Also, is there any real rhyme or reason to weapon fusion that I should keep in mind? like how two weapons fusions will determine A) The attributes passed over, and B) the Star rating? Also why is it that some weapons just can't fuse together?

I'm pretty sure an "x" for the result means you haven't unlocked the weapon that the fusion would result in. Not 100% sure though.

Also, obviously I can't speak for everyone, but I'm a lefty and I had the controls down perfectly fine in less than an hour, even using ABXY instead of circle pad. No more problems with it than anyone else seemed to have.

Mmm, half agree, but I do think (as per my review) the absurd learning curve and control oddities deserve criticism. I can understand why people would be so turned off without spending time to adapt to the controls and, to be honest, for some people that's a make-or-break situation.

Ironically, I half agree with this.

The learning curve is far from "absurd." It does indeed take an hour or so to get 100% fully used to it, but after the "it's like spinning a globe" line it's perfectly clear what to do.

However, I will agree that those who weren't on the Kid Icarus hype train like myself would be less likely to put the time in and give the game a fair chance (see:Destructoid). I'm totally fine with the controls, but as someone who wants this game to be a mega success, different control options (see: CPP) would have been nice.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Come on, the original Kid Ucarus is harder to master than this one by several levels of magnitude. So is any fighting game or RTS. The learning curve is NOT absurd.

It is an unorthodox, anti-left control scheme that forgoes some obvious conveniences (eg: bounding box) for seemingly no reason, in a game that throws the player into explosively colourful and confusing chaotic free-for-alls.

"But game X is hard!" is an argument that doesn't really hold much water. The learning curve is steep, it is definitively anti-lefty, and that is enough to turn people off.

Ironically, I half agree with this.

The learning curve is far from "absurd." It does indeed take an hour or so to get 100% fully used to it, but after the "it's like spinning a globe" line it's perfectly clear what to do.

However, I will agree that those who weren't on the Kid Icarus hype train like myself would be less likely to put the time in and give the game a fair chance (see:Destructoid). I'm totally fine with the controls, but as someone who wants this game to be a mega success, different control options (see: CPP) would have been nice.

Yeah, once you 'get' what the controls are it's fine. I don't think dual analogue would have worked well, but I think people would have realised that over time if it were implemented.

marc^o^

The learning curve is steep
Now I agree with you.
About the unorthodox gameplay "for no reason", well I don't share your point of view. The challenge is built upon this control system and it feels as rewarding as any traditional game once you start getting good at it.

I beat the story last night, and without a doubt this is within my top five favorite games of all time. It will take a while to see where it lands overall, but it will probably rank #4

Arkham City
Ocarina of Time
Pokemon series (too difficult to choose just one)
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Banjo-Kazooie

This is just a brilliant, perfect game. This is truly one of the only games I would ever consider being worthy of a 10 review score. But apparently not a single professional reviewer agrees with me, as the highest score on metacritic is 95 :p

I just want this game to be my best friend in this life and the next. Christ, it's just blowing my mind that this game exists in such a perfect format. Just IMAGINE how easy it would have been to make a run of the mill reboot. They could have easily cut the campaign by 2/3rds and it would have been on par for length with a handheld acrade-style game. They could have only had a few weapons, only three difficulty levels (easy-medium-hard), no online, no voice acting, and on and on and on. There are so many tiny details that add up to create one of the best pieces of entertainment to ever be created.

Can you guys imagine if Nintendo got their head out of their asses in other franchises and made a Zelda game of this caliber? Or even a Mario game! As amazing as the Galaxy games were, there is no denying that they still offer just a fraction of the features and content as this game. Uprising truly has everything that a game could ever need and so much more.

Now... re: difficulty levels. I'm tired of getting crushed at level 7 and above. Half the time I can't even beat the 6 difficulty range. Are there any tips for this? If I turn auto-homing on will it make single player easier? Are there specific weapons that are more tooled for single player than multiplayer? I just want to go through all the intensity gates and get some sweet loot drops man!

KevinCow

Banned
You can zoom in by double tapping the screen and holding while standing still.

I did not know that, but a loading screen just told me and I tried it and it works.

Insaniac

You can zoom in by double tapping the screen and holding while standing still.

I did not know that, but a loading screen just told me and I tried it and it works.

oh excellent maybe I can try using that staff now

edit: double tapping isn't working for me... Only tried it in the practice range...

Boogiepop

Just want to chime in and say I've been doing fine as a lefty on ABXY. Haven't really felt the need to go out and get a circle pad as it seems to work fine without it.

Also, I feel stupid for only just realizing the Idol Toss doesn't require play coins. What exactly makes the eggs respawn anyway?

Famitsu? lol
Oh yeah! I sometimes forget that Famitsu occasionally gets things right :p

Also does anybody know if you lose the weapon you offer if you set it for your streetpass gem? It'd be cool to put something good out but not if I lose it permanently once somebody streetpasses with me

While part of the fun is figuring out how everything works, this game above all games could have benefited from a gigantic, meaty, well designed and written instruction manual. The electronic one on the card is pretty terrible.

just tried a multiplayer match for ther lolz

well, lolz have been abundant, expecially from my enemies. Last place with 16 pts

but at least I got some cool claws!

I'm boing to check mailbox to see in Club Nintendo sent my AR Cards

I can't believe I cannot buy these things... Nintendo hates money or just my money?

And I think if you have to buy an accessory to make it playable as a leftie.. you're proving his point.

I don't think that, I just haven't had to try it the other way. Other lefties in this thread say they're fine even with default controls, much less tweaking things.

It's an exaggeration to say it's "screwed" for us. It's not.

And when I read "the game is screwed for left handed users" I don't see a hint of "unless of course they own the CPP." If he meant to add that, then it might be more reasonable, but even then it's not accurate given the lefty reception in this thread.

Neiteio

I beat the story last night, and without a doubt this is within my top five favorite games of all time. It will take a while to see where it lands overall, but it will probably rank #4

Arkham City
Ocarina of Time
Banjo-Kazooie

This is just a brilliant, perfect game. This is truly one of the only games I would ever consider being worthy of a 10 review score. But apparently not a single professional reviewer agrees with me, as the highest score on metacritic is 95 :p
Your post made me realize this game is much like Arkham City, in how completely and thoroughly it just nails every element of its design. Both games have a large cast of personality-packed characters, for example, and everything in the game world gels together so well. It's like clockwork.

I just want this game to be my best friend in this life and the next. Christ, it's just blowing my mind that this game exists in such a perfect format. Just IMAGINE how easy it would have been to make a run of the mill reboot. They could have easily cut the campaign by 2/3rds and it would have been on par for length with a handheld acrade-style game. They could have only had a few weapons, only three difficulty levels (easy-medium-hard), no online, no voice acting, and on and on and on. There are so many tiny details that add up to create one of the best pieces of entertainment to ever be created.

Can you guys imagine if Nintendo got their head out of their asses in other franchises and made a Zelda game of this caliber? Or even a Mario game! As amazing as the Galaxy games were, there is no denying that they still offer just a fraction of the features and content as this game. Uprising truly has everything that a game could ever need and so much more.
This feels like the 3DS' equivalent of Ocarina of Time on the N64, or Resident Evil 4 on GameCube, or Super Mario Galaxy on Wii, or Uncharted 2 on PS3. It's simply so above and beyond what I'd normally expect from such a title.

You're right about Nintendo re: Mario and Zelda... Moreso Zelda, though. The Zelda series needs to take a break, strip away the fat and focus on the things Uprising got right: stellar production values, for one, and trimming the fat so that there's only a nonstop stream of constantly changing situations, all entertaining. Set those situations in a world that invites top-to-bottom exploration and that is filled with interesting characters like Majora's Mask (my all-time favorite Zelda), and my love of the series will be rekindled.

Now... re: difficulty levels. I'm tired of getting crushed at level 7 and above. Half the time I can't even beat the 6 difficulty range. Are there any tips for this? If I turn auto-homing on will it make single player easier? Are there specific weapons that are more tooled for single player than multiplayer? I just want to go through all the intensity gates and get some sweet loot drops man!
I haven't tried it yet, but apparently Transparency can help in single-player. With bosses, they apparently won't be able to see you!

I love my Transparency +4 in multiplayer. I have a near-300
Viridi
Palm with +3 speed that makes short work of opponents, and they never see me coming! I had nearly 2,000 points per match for around 10 matches last night, descending on the other team like a foamy-mouthed monster. :)

muu

It is an unorthodox, anti-left control scheme that forgoes some obvious conveniences (eg: bounding box) for seemingly no reason, in a game that throws the player into explosively colourful and confusing chaotic free-for-alls.

"But game X is hard!" is an argument that doesn't really hold much water. The learning curve is steep, it is definitively anti-lefty, and that is enough to turn people off.

Yeah, once you 'get' what the controls are it's fine. I don't think dual analogue would have worked well, but I think people would have realised that over time if it were implemented.

EVERY control scheme has its own quirks that must be first learned. There's the issue of comfort depending on circumstances here, but it's not like everyone knew how to aim with dual analogs from the get-go (without getting eaten for lunch by the people online), or properly get things going on a RTS, or pull out a dragon punch. That's one of the reasons you have a single player campaign, and in this case you have one of the best campaigns ever with length to match. With a difficulty slider that should suit everyone's needs. There may be a learning curve, but if this isn't a friendly way to get to figure out something new I don't know what is.

Oh yeah! I sometimes forget that Famitsu occasionally gets things right :p

Also does anybody know if you lose the weapon you offer if you set it for your streetpass gem? It'd be cool to put something good out but not if I lose it permanently once somebody streetpasses with me

No weapon loss.

Korosenai

Arkham City
Ocarina of Time
Banjo-Kazooie

I haven't even beat this game yet and it's already in my top 5.

I have not played a game this fun where I could not stop playing it in a long time. This game is amazing and I wish I could play it every second of every day.

Bentles

I don't think that, I just haven't had to try it the other way. Other lefties in this thread say they're fine even with default controls, much less tweaking things.

It's an exaggeration to say it's "screwed" for us. It's not.

And when I read "the game is screwed for left handed users" I don't see a hint of "unless of course they own the CPP." If he meant to add that, then it might be more reasonable, but even then it's not accurate given the lefty reception in this thread.

Lefty here playing right handed. I'm managing 4.5 or so for unseen stages (seems to be my go to difficulty) that about normal?

It's quite awkward playing like this but the game is crazy fun and I'm getting used to it. I love dodging past attacks, and dash attacking in different directions. The mechanics are really solid.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I have not played a game this fun where I could not stop playing it in a long time. This game is amazing and I wish I could play it every second of every day.
Wow, top 5?

I really do like the game as well, but when I read stuff like this I almost wonder if there is some hidden game in there that I've completely missed. Feels like people are talking about some sort of secret club that only reveals itself to the Nintendo faithful.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Nah, the guy just has good taste.
------
Chaos Cannon is aaaaawesome. It replaced my Twinbellows cannon. However, I still can't beat the first level on 9. The boss gets me every time.

It's not in my top 5 yet, but it's definitely placing somewhere in the top 30.

olimpia84

I don't know where I'd rank this game...I still haven't finished it yet but I agree that is a masterpiece. So far Mario 3D Land is my favorite 3DS game but Kid Icarus is giving it a run for his money.

PK Gaming

The game has definitely made its way into my top 5 as well. Its too fucking good...

(top 5 for reference)
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Final Fantasy IX
3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
4. Kid Icarus: Uprising
5. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

KI:U gets my pick for GOTY 2012, hands down.

Dr.Hadji

Wow, top 5?

I really do like the game as well, but when I read stuff like this I almost wonder if there is some hidden game in there that I've completely missed. Feels like people are talking about some sort of secret club that only reveals itself to the Nintendo faithful.

People are starting to act like the Demon Soul's faithful here. People calling out the Galaxies for not having enough content? *Mind Blown*

Korosenai

Wow, top 5?

No secret club, I just really love the game :)

I've wanted an awesome handheld multiplayer game for a while now, and this is that game. I haven't had lag once yet, the matches are awesome and full of action, a match lasts anywhere from 3-6 minutes so you can get tons of matches in, and the variety with weapons and powers keeps each match interesting.

edit: Plus the single player is amazing, and I found myself playing nothing but chapter 2 yesterday for an hour and a half just to beat it on 9 intensity. The game is just addicting.

NeoRausch

Oh wow i suck online!

against some beginners i can totaly get 1800 or the like, but against real players....wooosh i'm gone.

Just gathered astounding 96 points against a group of 6 japanese players.

sidequestion: are there ANY not super awesome jap. KIU-Players?

Wow, top 5?

Interesting sideswipe.

Oh wow i suck online!

against some beginners i can totaly get 1800 or the like, but against real players....wooosh i'm gone.

I'm sorry I kicked your ass :D

EVERY control scheme has its own quirks that must be first learned. There's the issue of comfort depending on circumstances here, but it's not like everyone knew how to aim with dual analogs from the get-go (without getting eaten for lunch by the people online), or properly get things going on a RTS, or pull out a dragon punch. That's one of the reasons you have a single player campaign, and in this case you have one of the best campaigns ever with length to match. With a difficulty slider that should suit everyone's needs. There may be a learning curve, but if this isn't a friendly way to get to figure out something new I don't know what is.

Kid Icarus isn't a new genre or control scheme, though. The game has the PSP's version of dual analog controls, aiming with face buttons, and without moving away from touch screen aiming, options like bounding box, lock cursor, etc. could have helped.

The discussion goes circles. It's possible to have a great game with problematic controls. I've played ~7 hours and can mostly deal with the controls, but I totally understand where others are coming from. There're enough complaints that it's rude to dismiss them and shift the blame to the players, as if something is inherently wrong with them.

Wow, top 5?

It's not a nintendo thing. it's just the honeymoon period. some people get caught up in it more than others is all.

but the game is totally awesome. multiply game quality with the launch hype and naturally it'll reach those heights. it's math.

massoluk

Banned
Man, I thought I'm getting good at this game, going at about every level at 5.0-6.5.

Then deaths just keep piling on from level
22-23 with that Hades stomach and forging god
onward that my intensity just keep dropping to 3.0ish. I feel so insecure right now.

Wow, top 5?

It's like...aside from the controls, which pose a steep learning cliff (though the customization of controls/difficulty helps), this game oozes value.

The music is godly, the voice acting is plentiful and amazing/funny/corny/awesome, the action is intense, the graphics are great, the visuals are eye-popping, the flying sections are awesome, the ground sections are boss (most of the time), the story is ridiculous (in a good way), the pacing is great, the difficulty (and difficulty customizing) is perfect, and the sheer amount of extras in terms of trophies/achievements/weapons is ridiculous.

The controls themselves are quite possibly the only reason someone would really avoid this game, or drop it. Assuming they don't hate the genre in the first place (half on-rail shooter, half third-person shooter), it's a must-have game for 3DS.

I like this game more than every other 3DS game that's come out so far
including SM3DL/MK7 *runs*

Neiteio

People are starting to act like the Demon Soul's faithful here. People calling out the Galaxies for not having enough content? *Mind Blown*
I'm fine with the state of Mario. Maybe people are asking for additional modes and attractions outside of the main game? At any rate, it's Zelda that needs work, but that's a whole different discussion. Bottom line is, when it comes to Nintendo IPs, Zelda's getting stale and Uprising is a blast of fresh air. For my tastes, anyway.

Regarding the whole Top Five Games of All-Time... Hard to say if Uprising is in the Top Five... But what I know is I never grow bored playing Uprising.

With most games, even great games like Galaxy, there comes a point where I feel, "OK, that's enough for now," even in the early days of owning the game when the hype is fresh. But for me, Uprising never reaches that point; it's when external factors like the rest of life come into play that I have to (grudgingly) put the game down. I think the trick with Uprising is "downtime." What I mean is, I can replay a mission from single-player, and I always have fun since there are so many episodes with so much content and the scalable difficulty level and the various weapons and powers that make for different experiences. Then, when I'm done with that, I enjoy some downtime: I'll toss some eggs for idols, or peruse the idol gallery and immerse myself in the lore, or listen to the music player, or scope our achievements, or study the possible fusions available to me, and experiment with different weapons... Then I'll hop online for a few rounds, have a blast, and suddenly I have new loot, and more eggs, and the cycle begins anew... And when you love every aspect of the game world like I do -- the characters, the worlds, etc -- it's a cycle you love to go through.

I guess only time will tell for sure, but I feel comfortable saying this is up there in my Top 10 at least, alongside Majora's Mask, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, Super Mario Galaxy, Amnesia, Arkham City, Red Dead Redemption, and some other choice games. :)

Datschge

Sounds like you still haven't warmed up to the controls?

I haven't even played multi yet, and frankly have only been able to fuck around for a few hours, but.....this fucking game.

Nintendo, please, please, please. This is how you make amazing content, it's how you keep shit fresh and it's how you make a game worth more than the money you pay for it. Keep content like this coming once or twice a year and I might even buy a WiiU.

marc^o^

Wow, top 5?

It's the best Nintendo game in years, don't you think? Best Nintendo games were mostly reboots, Zelda OOT, Metroïd Prime, and I would put Kid Icarus along with these gems.

It's the best Nintendo game in years, don't you think? Best Nintendo games were mostly reboots, Zelda OOT, Metroïd Prime, and I would put Kid Icarus along with these gems.

I couldn't agree more. It is, without a doubt, the most exciting game they've put out in recent memory. I honestly can't wait to see what they do with it next.

Bullza2o

Oh wow i suck online!

All the JP players I've faced online were mediocre to par. That said, I've only met around 5-7.

Top Bottom