• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's the best Nintendo game in years, don't you think? Best Nintendo games were mostly reboots, Zelda OOT, Metroïd Prime, and I would put Kid Icarus along with these gems.

The game is really, really awesome, but no, it's not that good for me. Galaxy 2 and DKC: Returns still remain my favourite Nintendo work of recent memory. Throw Xenoblade into that pile too, and if you're willing as far back as Prime (which I consider in the top five games Nintendo has ever made) then the net is cast even wider.

It's a very good game though and I love/loved it. It has a charm you don't find in a lot of games, especially Nintendo games, and is paced/directed exceptionally well.

I will say it's probably one of the best written and presented Nintendo games though. Hugely unique and hilariously cheeky. Fits right alongside all their other work, yet manages to be nothing like them at all, if that makes sense.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Wow, top 5?

I really do like the game as well, but when I read stuff like this I almost wonder if there is some hidden game in there that I've completely missed. Feels like people are talking about some sort of secret club that only reveals itself to the Nintendo faithful.

Different strokes for different folk I guess. I'm legitimately having an incredible time with this game. Just hit Chapter
and I honestly don't want it to ever end. It may not be in my top 5 but it's definitely in my top 10.

You don't have to be a nintendo faithful to have fun with this game.

hatchx

Banned
The game has definitely made its way into my top 5 as well. Its too fucking good...

(top 5 for reference)
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Final Fantasy IX
3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
4. Kid Icarus: Uprising
5. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

KI:U gets my pick for GOTY 2012, hands down.

Well, it's only April. I know it'll be hard to beat, but don't forget Pikmin 3 has been in development for a long, long time ;)

Neiteio

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Pikmin 3 this year. Not just yet.
I think Pikmin 3 will come out this year. It had several years of conceptual work completed on Wii before production was shifted to WiiU and really took off with HD and touchscreen controls, which Miyamoto himself said in a recent interview are shaping up very nicely. This, coupled with Nintendo recognizing they need to have strong software at launch, makes it seem likely that just as Pikmin 1 was within the GameCube launch window, so too will its threequel with WiiU. If nothing else, though, we will likely see it at this E3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Different strokes for different folk I guess. I'm legitimately having an incredible time with this game. Just hit Chapter
and I honestly don't want it to ever end. It may not be in my top 5 but it's definitely in my top 10.

You don't have to be a nintendo faithful to have fun with this game.
I am having fun with it, though, but the way people are talking it almost sounds like there's more to it than I'm seeing. It's definitely one of the better 3DS games I've played, but I don't know if I'd go so far to say that it's one of Nintendo's best. It's like an expanded Sin and Punishment, which is actually a good thing to me as I love those games, but I'm surprised to see it receiving so much attention. It's a rail shooter with additional freedom of movement.

I do really like the writing and characters, though. It's extremely well done and far more interesting and fun than I would ever have expected.

Sounds like you still haven't warmed up to the controls?
That might be the issue. I haven't struggled at all with the game, but I don't find the on-foot controls to be comfortable in the slightest. The stylus digs into my finger and the camera is awkward. The game doesn't have the same refined feel of Nintendo's best.

Neiteio

I am having fun with it, though, but the way people are talking it almost sounds like there's more to it than I'm seeing. It's definitely one of the better 3DS games I've played, but I don't know if I'd go so far to say that it's one of Nintendo's best. It's like an expanded Sin and Punishment, which is actually a good thing to me as I love those games, but I'm surprised to see it receiving so much attention. It's a rail shooter with additional freedom of movement.

I do really like the writing and characters, though. It's extremely well done and far more interesting and fun than I would ever have expected.
Maybe this game is resonating more strongly with more people than S&P because its world/characters/creative are more alluring and accessible? There's certainly a lot of charm to the game that makes it continually rewarding to play. :)

"Ooh, a hot spri-- HEY! COME BACK HERE, HOT SPRING!"

That might be the issue. I haven't struggled at all with the game, but I don't find the on-foot controls to be comfortable in the slightest. The stylus digs into my finger and the camera is awkward. The game doesn't have the same refined feel of Nintendo's best.
Your mileage with the controls will vary. :) In my case, I could control it fine from the first chapter, but I felt discomfort in my left hand -- no soreness of the wrist, but soreness from where the system pushed against my hands and fingers. But then I beat the game, and now as I go through it a second time, replaying all the levels with multiplayer matches in between, I no longer experience any soreness. I studied my hand to see how I was holding it differently. It seems my hand is more relaxed... Maybe I'm less tense now that I've seen the single-player through to its conclusion, so I feel less guarded against surprise attacks as I play?

The game is really, really awesome, but no, it's not that good for me. Galaxy 2 and DKC: Returns still remain my favourite Nintendo work of recent memory. Throw Xenoblade into that pile too, and if you're willing as far back as Prime (which I consider in the top five games Nintendo has ever made) then the net is cast even wider.

It's a very good game though and I love/loved it. It has a charm you don't find in a lot of games, especially Nintendo games, and is paced/directed exceptionally well.

I will say it's probably one of the best written and presented Nintendo games though. Hugely unique and hilariously cheeky. Fits right alongside all their other work, yet manages to be nothing like them at all, if that makes sense.
I totally agree.

KIU is fantastic, and the script is really outstanding for Nintendo standars. But saying is the best game of the company in recent years is very bold with "opponents" like both Galaxy, DKC Returns or Xenoblade.

Thoraxes

For me, Kid Icarus is successfully brought into the realm of awesome Nintendo IPs I hope to see more of in the future. It just feels so "Nintendo" (I don't even know how to explain this adjective any other way) that I honestly/literally can't imagine anyone else making a game like this.

It just gives you fun. There's no drama, no right issues with digital rights, no dragging story, no poor pacing, great voice acting, actual funny/cheeky dialogue, metric shit-tons of content and collectibles packed right into the box, a bug-free experience (i've encountered zero bugs at any rate), fun game systems, a crafting system with tons of possibilities, amazing high-quality soundtrack from awesome composers, and it just feels like such a complete and polished product.

I feel almost feel guilty/ashamed for having bought worse games for more money when there are games like this that are made that are done to give you the whole experience right away. Also, this only cost me $10 because Amazon got super cool.

Neiteio

I totally agree.

KIU is fantastic, and the script is really outstanding for Nintendo standars. But saying is the best game of the company in recent years is very bold with "opponents" like both Galaxy, DKC Returns or Xenoblade.
It's not a bold claim at all. I've already sunk more time into Uprising than Galaxy or Returns. When I completed Galaxy and Returns, I didn't feel a desire to dive right back in and do it all over again, but with Uprising I do. And with Uprising, subsequent plays will practically be a whole new experience when I attempt it with different weapons on higher intensities. Then there's the equally entertaining multiplayer modes, and the vast volume of quality content to unlock. And the production values -- it feels like a Nintendo Pixar movie at points, so lively and smart. Uprising is insane and easily one of Nintendo's best. The funny part, though, is it simultaneously feels like a Nintendo title and something completely unlike any Nintendo title prior. I think that's another reason it's so exciting.

And I think if you have to buy an accessory to make it playable as a leftie.. you're proving his point.

Exactly

I tried it with the CCPro earlier as a lefty and yeah, shit is fucked. Obviously it just looks GROOOSSS (LOL) but also makes the system needlessly heavy ...and obviously you can't put it in the included stand to mitigate that

Basically I'm building up my dexterity with my right hand so I can still play. I've still yet to receive my thumbstrap from Nintendo, so don't know how that'll pan out.
The included stand is a godsend though and really helps as hand fatigue is non-existent.

Oh and yeah, my god a bounding box option would have been amazing

zroid

Banned
Basically I'm building up my dexterity with my right hand so I can still play. I've still yet to receive my thumbstrap from Nintendo, so don't know how that'll pan out.

It works well. I'm actually using my thumbnail right now, but I imagine it's the same idea.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano

Well, the game hasn't been out for a week yet so it's still fresh to a lot of people. Enthusiasm is also usually always high around the time a major release has dropped, so it's no surprise people are talking it up the way the are. Couple that with the fact that it was the first 3DS game unveiled with the system and i would guess that there were a lot of high expectations that are being met.

As for the game, I don't think there is any single element that makes it as good as it is. It's the whole package that makes it as fantastic as it is. It all comes together and makes for such a great game. But the controls, man. They are pretty intimidating if you aren't willing to stick with them for a while. But once you've acclimated to them, it's just straight-up fun incarnate (imo).

daakusedo

I'm playing this game preciously even knowing that there will be a massive amount of things to do after finishing just the story.
Sure this game bring a strange and warm feeling like few others.

Thoraxes

Well, the game hasn't been out for a week yet so it's still fresh to a lot of people. Enthusiasm is also usually always high around the time a major release has dropped, so it's no surprise people are talking it up the way the are. Couple that with the fact that it was the first 3DS game unveiled with the system and i would guess that there were a lot of high expectations that are being met.

As for the game, I don't there is any single element that makes it as good as it is. It's the whole package that makes it as fantastic as it is. It all comes together and makes for such a great game. But the controls, man. They are pretty intimidating if you aren't willing to stick with them for a while. But once you've acclimated to them, it's just straight-up fun incarnate (imo).
I think one of the things for me that I like so much is that there never really is a dull moment or any downtime. While in stages, the game almost always has dialogue, enemies popping up, really neat looking landscapes/visual presentation, and the occasional machine unit to use here or there, not to mention the chests and hidden rooms.

There's really no time to lapse into boredom for me.

matmanx1

No that makes perfect sense and I agree 100%. I will say that I think the game could have been even better on stronger hardware with a 2nd thumbstick (please don't hurt me, this is just an opinion) but as is the game is still a blast to play.

You also beat my ass haha.

My goal now is to join any open online games from GAFers and whoop their asses like there's no tomorrow.
Will I succeed? Probably not.
Will I keep this up for more than a week? Nope, sir.
Will it be fun? HELL YEAH, OF COURSE!

Seriously though, that's all thanks to me mashing that L-Button and getting really close to my enemies. Thanks to my awesome Brawler Claws.
Keep me at a distance and I will probably die a lot.
Things like Auto-Reticle and Freeze Shot (or whatever it's called) are SERIOUSLY DANGEROUS together. That's why I love them.

I also just found out that my Brawler Claws do a FUCKING HUGE amount of damage if I run into enemies and melee them. Takes almost half of their health away, maybe even a little more than that.

Short range? Ha! I laugh at thee!

Poyunch

Anyone have the Google Docs link? I should get back to adding people to see if anyone added me back. :x

9xEZX.jpg
Also what do you guys think? Should I just leave the Optical Blade as is or should I start fusing a bunch until I get a better Blade with the same stats. The star ratings are pretty average but the stats are pretty great.

No that makes perfect sense and I agree 100%. I will say that I think the game could have been even better on stronger hardware with a 2nd thumbstick (please don't hurt me, this is just an opinion) but as is the game is still a blast to play.

I think the game looks much better than I was expecting but I'm with you on this one. It's made all the more frustrating by the fact that there's a 1st party peripheral available for just that purpose.

The controls aren't bad really, it's just that they would have been a lot better with a 2nd stick. It's not effecting my enjoyment of the game at all though.

It's not a bold claim at all. I've already sunk more time into Uprising than Galaxy or Returns. When I completed Galaxy and Returns, I didn't feel a desire to dive right back in and do it all over again, but with Uprising I do. And with Uprising, subsequent plays will practically be a whole new experience when I attempt it with different weapons on higher intensities. Then there's the equally entertaining multiplayer modes, and the vast volume of quality content to unlock. And the production values -- it feels like a Nintendo Pixar movie at points, so lively and smart. Uprising is insane and easily one of Nintendo's best. The funny part, though, is it simultaneously feels like a Nintendo title and something completely unlike any Nintendo title prior. I think that's another reason it's so exciting.
But that's part of the philosophy of the game. A shoot'em up should be designed to be enjoyed again, and again, and again. And again. I have replayed Sin & Punishment 2 like 50 times, and sure there will be more in the future.

KIU is like Sin & Punishment with the extras of a Smash Bros, which multiplies even more its greatness. However, as much as I like it, I still think that control in ground sections is not at the same level as the rest of the game. That's something basic in a videogame, and something that is nearly perfect in the aforementioned (Mario Galaxy 1/2, DKC, Sin & Punishment).

But don't get me wrong, I still love KIU :p

sfried

Wow, top 5?

I really do like the game as well, but when I read stuff like this I almost wonder if there is some hidden game in there that I've completely missed. Feels like people are talking about some sort of secret club that only reveals itself to the Nintendo faithful.
Its a secret club that you can join by playing the game and finishing the single player campaign. This is one of the few cases where keeping the surprises a secret benefits the game, but it also help that the game itself is very well paced.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I think one of the things for me that I like so much is that there never really is a dull moment or any downtime. While in stages, the game almost always has dialogue, enemies popping up, really neat looking landscapes/visual presentation, and the occasional machine unit to use here or there, not to mention the chests and hidden rooms.

There's really no time to lapse into boredom for me.
Absolutely agree.
I'm ashamed to admit it, but with as much time as I've spent in this game, a lot of it was spent just fooling around. There's so much to do. If i'm not replaying older stages, I'm jotting down the weapon ingredients to breed the ultimate pimpcane staff. And i've already spent hours doing just that.

NeoRausch

My goal now is to join any open online games from GAFers and whoop their asses like there's no tomorrow.
Will I succeed? Probably not.
Will I keep this up for more than a week? Nope, sir.
Will it be fun? HELL YEAH, OF COURSE!

Seriously though, that's all thanks to me mashing that L-Button and getting really close to my enemies. Thanks to my awesome Brawler Claws.
Keep me at a distance and I will probably die a lot.
Things like Auto-Reticle and Freeze Shot (or whatever it's called) are SERIOUSLY DANGEROUS together. That's why I love them.

I also just found out that my Brawler Claws do a FUCKING HUGE amount of damage if I run into enemies and melee them. Takes almost half of their health away, maybe even a little more than that.

Short range? Ha! I laugh at thee!
WEAK SPOT DETECTED!

i still won't stand a chance atm.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As lovely as the game looks it's interesting to spot how often the engine forgoes texture filtering to keep performance up to scratch.

massoluk

Banned
Just curious, people that finished the single player campaign, what are your main weapon's value at the end. I believed I'm 2-3 mission away with my bow at 294.

WEAK SPOT DETECTED!

i still won't stand a chance atm.

You'd have to get a weapon that CAN keep me at a distance first :D
I guess that Cannons may work pretty well against me.
Also I am glad to tell people my weak spot. I don't like winning all the time. Don't wanna get all snobby and go telling people that they suck. Because they probably don't.

TDLink

Just curious, people that finished the single player campaign, what are your main weapon's value at the end. I believed I'm 2-3 mission away with my bow at 294.

I did most of the single player campaign (originally) with a 197 Beam claws...they rocked. Then I started playing multiplayer and fusing weapons and realized I hadn't yet utilized half the game to get better weapons.

Neiteio

But that's part of the philosophy of the game. A shoot'em up should be designed to be enjoyed again, and again, and again. And again. I have replayed Sin & Punishment 2 like 50 times, and sure there will be more in the future.

KIU is like Sin & Punishment with the extras of a Smash Bros, which multiplies even more its greatness. However, as much as I like it, I still think that control in ground sections is not at the same level as the rest of the game. That's something basic in a videogame, and something that is nearly perfect in the aforementioned (Mario Galaxy 1/2, DKC, Sin & Punishment).

But don't get me wrong, I still love KIU :p
The ground controls are actually the most pleasurable part of the game to me. But I guess in that respect everyone's mileage varies. I certainly enjoy the sheer act of running around in this game in a way I didn't in, say, DKCR (and I -loved- DKCR). Maybe it was the way they changed rolling from the Super NES games so that you had to shake the controller.

Btw, my current weapon:

EDLnB.jpg

Intensity 9.0 no longer seems impossible now :p

Edit: Yeah, the rolling shake in DKCR was maybe a mistake (should be optional). But is something quite secondary, you don't need it unless you go for time trials.

Prinny

The ground controls are actually the most pleasurable part of the game to me. But I guess in that respect everyone's mileage varies. I certainly enjoy the sheer act of running around in this game in a way I didn't in, say, DKCR (and I -loved- DKCR). Maybe it was the way they changed rolling from the Super NES games so that you had to shake the controller.
There's a 'cheat code' to play with the Classic Controller.

Kamek

Been debating on when to get this game, but I really want to pick it up now for some portable gaming goodness. Is is worthy of the 40/40 from Famitsu?

massoluk

Banned
Been debating on when to get this game, but I really want to pick it up now for some portable gaming goodness. Is is worthy of the 40/40 from Famitsu?

The land of the rising claw probably is more forgiving when it comes to control option, hence the perfect score.

ryushe

The game has definitely made its way into my top 5 as well. Its too fucking good...

(top 5 for reference)
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Final Fantasy IX
3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
4. Kid Icarus: Uprising
5. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
:
KI:U gets my pick for GOTY 2012, hands down.
Wow!! Did I write this?! Other than Brawl (which, ironically enough, I thought was insanely uninteresting) this is almost my list to a tee.

I don't know what I'd put in place of Brawl, though. It'd maybe be a death match between Bayonetta and Ghost Trick...

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

I haven't played Xenoblade yet, but everything else you said I agree with spot on (though I might also slide in Skyward Sword and Super Mario 3D Land to the recent category, but that is more of a personal preference).

I would like to add, that this is probably the most surprised I have been about the quality of a game in a long, LONG time. Three weeks ago I was planning on renting this game if not SKIPPING IT all together. Just.... wow, how wrong was I?

Top Bottom