• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

bitoriginal

Got the game today, only played until chapter 2. Whoever talked the stand down is a fool, it's an artifact sent from the gods themselves. Seriously, it's very useful.

Anyway, pillow on lap, 3DS on stand, 3D set to max, and headphones plugged in... let's get this shit started.

muu

You'd have to get a weapon that CAN keep me at a distance first :D
I guess that Cannons may work pretty well against me.
Also I am glad to tell people my weak spot. I don't like winning all the time. Don't wanna get all snobby and go telling people that they suck. Because they probably don't.

Landmines, explosions, viruses, take your pick... Oh wait, I'll use them all! Goes without saying that your enemy can do the same, but there's a ton of skills that can act as counters to every range, and IMHO it's far more important than any of your weapon properties in MP. It's strange how many people have yet to realize this, I have skill stealing in one of my melee setups and half the time you end up stealing Angel Jump.

Been debating on when to get this game, but I really want to pick it up now for some portable gaming goodness. Is is worthy of the 40/40 from Famitsu?

It's one of those rare moments where Famitsu nails it.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Been debating on when to get this game, but I really want to pick it up now for some portable gaming goodness. Is is worthy of the 40/40 from Famitsu?

It's fantastic. Get it and love it, and if you don't think is a fucking impressive game, I'll send you $100.000.000 through Paypal.

it won't happen because you'll see that this is a fucking impressive game ;)

StAidan

It just feels so "Nintendo" (I don't even know how to explain this adjective any other way) that I honestly/literally can't imagine anyone else making a game like this.

I don't mean to come off as a crazed Nintendo fanboy here, but the above is why I prefer first-party Nintendo games above basically any other games. Nintendo has a unique style and craftsmanship that seems nearly impossible to replicate -- a style that's been remarkably consistent over a span of decades, in spite of all the technological changes we've seen over that time.

I don't know exactly how KI:U ranks among my favorite games, but the bottom line is that it has that same unmistakeable craftsmanship that keeps me coming back for more -- the same way I come back for everything from The Legend of Zelda (NES) to Mario Kart 7.

I'm not sure where I'd place this game yet among my favorite games. However, I think I can be put this in my top 5 games that Nintendo has made from the DS onward.

Nintendo Top 5( DS,Wii and 3DS):
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
3. Donkey Kong Country Returns
4. Super Mario 3D Land
5. Kid Icarus Uprising

That's how I'd put it granted some of these positions are debatable.

I probably wouldn't give it a 40/40. However, I'd definetly recommend it to anyone.

The gameplay is extremely well designed and incredibly fun and addicting.

The story is very self aware with full voice acting and the script is very clever. Think of Star Fox 64's story/dialogue and multiply it by 10.

The music is amazing with some great composers.

There is a ton of content packed in this game. It goes above and way beyond the bar set for how much content is usually expected in a game.

Controls on the other hand while there is a learning curve work very well. I think it is pretty easy to get the hang of. However, some people dislike it and due to the way the system is designed it can cause hand cramps. Also the control scheme isn't left handed friendly.

I don't mean to come off as a crazed Nintendo fanboy here, but the above is why I prefer first-party Nintendo games above basically any other games. Nintendo has a unique style and craftsmanship that seems nearly impossible to replicate -- a style that's been remarkably consistent over a span of decades, in spite of all the technological changes we've seen over that time.

I don't know exactly how KI:U ranks among my favorite games, but the bottom line is that it has that same unmistakeable craftsmanship that keeps me coming back for more -- the same way I come back for everything from The Legend of Zelda (NES) to Mario Kart 7.

People will probably go nuts to hear someone say this, but it's sort of a feeling that their games aren't designed by committee and/or not made with profit as their sole goal in mind.

Of course they want to make money like anyone else, and I wouldn't say they're out to make art or something, but money's just not the primary driving force behind (some of) their games.

I think it's a safe bet that most of us are Smash fans, so I ask you:
Would you be happy if Sakurai had some way to equip gear/powers to your character in Smash Wii U?

I kind of like the idea of giving Bowser temporary super armor...

Bullza2o

"And that's not all I can see, Pit. I can also see what's in your heart."

aQtwb.png

Using a bow and having to melee
those guards in chapter 12
really sucks. I died because of it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Would you be happy if Sakurai had some way to equip gear/powers to your character in Smash Wii U?

But bowser already has a parry that stops every single attack in the game clean.

D:

zroid

Banned

Gut reaction was "NO!" but I guess if there's anyone who could make it work, it'd be Sakurai

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano

It would be cool in the sense that your characters are a lot more personalized. But then, I don't think there'd be equal footing.

I know for sure that my roommates are going to get all pissyabout something like that the same way they do in CoD where i'll be accused of using some cheap perks on my guy when the truth is they're just mad because they haven't unlocked them yet.

I found the strangest music bug. Sometimes if you play Ch. 5's flight music. It gets "stuck" in a certain section of the song that loops over and over.

It seems to do it if you play the song from the music menu, then exit out of it and let it play outside of it.

Adding powers could always be a option added to Smash Bros. However I want them less global and more personal. Like say, "Mario has a 10% of burning damage over 5 seconds with his fireball".

And this is the reason GAF can be a little stupid at times.

I'm pretty sure he was just joking around.

Despite it only being less than a week, one can easily make a case that this is one of the best Nintendo games of all time.

If we're talking this generation, I'd rank my top 5 right now:

1) Metroid Prime Trilogy
2) Super Mario Galaxy 2
3) Donkey Kong Country Returns
4) Kid Icarus: Uprising
5) Mega Man 9
I consider this an NES game...come at me bro.

I can easily see Uprising skyrocketing up the list when all is said and done.

He already kind of did this with the sticker system for the Subspace Emissary where you could put stickers on the bottom of the character trophy to increase certain stats on a character.

But bowser already has a parry that stops every single attack in the game clean.

D:
Yet he's still a Low Tier character. :p

Really, I just want Samus to be back to her Melee status. I want my bombs to explode on IMPACT, not on a timer!

All 3 of my favorite characters are low tier. :-(

He already kind of did this with the sticker system for the Subspace Emissary where you could put stickers on the bottom of the character trophy to increase certain stats on a character.
I'm talking about in multiplayer.

Combine

Banned
I will say it's probably one of the best written and presented Nintendo games though. Hugely unique and hilariously cheeky. Fits right alongside all their other work, yet manages to be nothing like them at all, if that makes sense.
It's funny to read these reactions. Because when the game was first unveiled with the trailers and such, many people were groaning in agony about how cheesy it was going to be and how bad the voice acting sounded.

I remember so many posts saying how this was going to be Sakurai's bomb.

This game might be the first 3DS game where I had to use the L button this much, but now I am noticing that sometimes, when I press the L button it squeaks. Usually when it is pressed more towards the front of the 3DS.

Has anybody else had this problem with their 3DS or even before this game? Its really annoying to be playing and to be hearing squeaking every now and then. Really don't want to send it back to Nintendo for repairs or something.

This game might be the first 3DS game where I had to use the L button this much, but now I am noticing that sometimes, when I press the L button it squeaks. Usually when it is pressed more towards the front of the 3DS.

Has anybody else had this problem with their 3DS or even before this game? Its really annoying to be playing and to be hearing squeaking every now and then. Really don't want to send it back to Nintendo for repairs or something.

Yep, mine behaves identically.

zroid

Banned
Welcome to Gaf!

To your left is the bullshit museum; to the right is a lounge where others exchange hyperbole and over the top excitement.

Why is it so wrong for people to be enamored with a game? If you like something that much then, by all means, share your excitement. I'd like to think this is a forum to connect with likeminded individuals, not some smarmy place for people to be cynical all the time. (Although you have as much right to be cynical as anyone else has to be excited)

Dr.Hadji

At first I was like. No way! Now I'm like. Yes Way! I'll put "random status" stickers on GW so the effects of 9s will show up randomly on other numbers. Or better yet, random moves.

Why all the belittling of people who truly like this game? Calling it hyperbole implies a disingenuous feeling.

This is also one of my favorite games to come out in years, no doubt about it. It's cool it's "just ok" or "good, but not amazing" to some of you, just understand its goddam spectacular to others.

Also, thanks for the song Pit.......I'm a happy man now ;)

I'd be down for it, ask me two weeks ago and I would've said no way. But I think the loot aspect of this game is handled wonderfully. I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai is already thinking this too, with the comments he made about 3DS/WiiU Smash. Where he was thinking of having you be able to personalize your character in the 3DS game and bring him into the WiiU one. Perhaps there will be loot that you can carry over between the two.

wsippel

Banned
Welcome to Gaf!

To your left is the bullshit museum; to the right is a lounge where others exchange hyperbole and over the top excitement.
No dude. It's just a really fucking good, well written (fuck GTAIV), fun, deep, and incredibly polished game. I say that as someone who's usually not a fan of Nintendo's classic games and this is the first Sakurai game I've actually played. This is also only my second post in this thread I think. The game is not without faults, but still awesome - no need for hyperbole.

No dude. It's just a really fucking good, well written (fuck GTAIV), fun, deep, and incredibly polished game. I say that as someone who's usually not a fan of Nintendo's classic games and this is the first Sakurai game I've actually played. This is also only my second post in this thread I think. The game is not without faults, but still awesome - no need for hyperbole.

You've never played Smash Bros.?!? Dude, go get a copy of Brawl now!

JazzmanZ

You've Never played a Kirby game!? Dude, go get a copy of Kirby's Adventure now!

It's funny to read these reactions. Because when the game was first unveiled with the trailers and such, many people were groaning in agony about how cheesy it was going to be and how bad the voice acting sounded.

I remember so many posts saying how this was going to be Sakurai's bomb.
When it was initially unveiled I was pretty underwhelmed. However, I started to see KI's brilliance last E3. I realized how self aware the game was and actually how fun it could be. This game still exceeded my expectations but I caught on with what the game was going for a while ago.

Uh wow. People really dig this game huh?

I mean, I love it as well but it's not top five material imho.
I wouldn't put it in my top 5 best games of all time list but I would say it's one of the best games Nintendo has put out in the past couple years.

:O

Oh man, this just sold it for me.
Yes, there are tons of classic great quotes to come out of this game.

I think ranking games in a "top five ever" is silly, as I've been playing games for so long and so many in number that it would be a disservice to my history to make that kind of claim.

THAT SAID

If I had to pick my Game of the Year so far, it would be this game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Done 15 and 16, just began 17, but I've been killed before the aerial phase ended.
Again and again.

THIS GAME. THIS GAAAAAAMMMMMEEEEE

Sakurai has definitively taken inspiration from Gurren Lagann, but in such an awesome way. And it's awesome to hearing all the Gods chatting while I fight, and Hades even put obstacles. And then, in chapter 17...A PLOT TWIST. And Phyrros, from the imitation of a super hero, becomes such a great villain. WOAH

THIS GAAAAAAMEEEEE

Didn't Sakurai say that the 3DS Smash will be more "personal" to reflect it's not about people sitting around a TV?

I imagine that's precisely how he will do it.

Neiteio

Done 15 and 16, just began 17, but I've been killed before the aerial phase ended.
Again and again.

THIS GAME. THIS GAAAAAAMMMMMEEEEE

Sakurai has definitively taken inspiration from Gurren Lagann, but in such an awesome way. And it's awesome to hearing all the Gods chatting while I fight, and Hades even put obstacles. And then, in chapter 17...A PLOT TWIST. And Phyrros, from the imitation of a super hero, becomes such a great villain. WOAH

THIS GAAAAAAMEEEEE
"How do you know that?"
"I read it on Divinipedia."
".....send me the link."

I think ranking games in a "top five ever" is silly, as I've been playing games for so long and so many in number that it would be a disservice to my history to make that kind of claim.

THAT SAID

If I had to pick my Game of the Year so far, it would be this game.

I agree with lists. I always find it hard to place games for many reasons. My gaming tastes change and I find it hard to place a number next to my feelings. I have a ballpark idea of my top games but it could discredit other games. I think KI is safely in a certain ballpark for me but I think it's hard to put a certain ranking towards it.

I'll do lists occasionally but usually I don't like them or think of plenty of other games I'd substitute or something to that effect.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Feels like people are talking about some sort of secret club that only reveals itself to the Nintendo faithful.
I understand you don't like this 3DS game as much as most people here, no problem with that. On your side, why do you feel the need to be so condescending? Seriously this post was out of place.

Tyeforce

This game is honestly in my top 3 favorite games of all time. And this isn't just hype getting the best of me or anything. Kid Icarus: Uprising joins Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Kirby Air Ride in my top 3, probably in that order too. There's just something about Sakurai games that makes them forever fun, never growing dull, and in my opinion that's the most important aspect of a game. The best games are the one that you can play again and again and again...and again, never getting bored of them. Kid Icarus: Uprising is definitely one of those games.

These so called "hyperboles" are here because this is a forum where we express ourselves through words. That said, I don't mind excitement.
I genuinely think it's awesome that you have 30 years of gaming under your belt, but who knows, this might be someone's very first game for all we know (It could be Top 1 of their only game played). Just trying to show you a different perspective :)

Dr.Hadji

This game is honestly in my top 3 favorite games of all time. And this isn't just hype getting the best of me or anything. Kid Icarus: Uprising joins Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Kirby Air Ride in my top 3, probably in that order too. There's just something about Sakurai games that makes them forever fun, never growing dull, and in my opinion that's the most important aspect of a game. The best games are the one that you can play again and again and again...and again, never getting bored of them. Kid Icarus: Uprising is definitely one of those games.

You guys are going to have to make an appreciation thread for this game. I keep hearing good things about it and I always just dismissed it off hand.

Korosenai

Guys,

I was only teasing and throwing a blanket statement but as others have observed, some of the comments here read as though stretching things a bit and, again, we're onte internet where hyperbole holds no boundaries.

they may be genuine but lets face it, the game just came out, I've been playing games for 30 years, I have never met someone who knew instantly that a game was going to have an ever lasting and profound effect on their top 5 games "of all time" list.

Cheers!

I've been playing games ever since I got pokemon blue and red in the second grade (i'm 20 now), and since i've owned every gameboy, every ds, psp, xbox, xbox 360, ps1, ps2, ps3, n64, gamecube, and wii, and I can personally say this is in my top 5 favorite games. And i'm sure it'll still be there for a long time.

It just all comes down to personal opinion.

Top Bottom