• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 Dev: 60FPS on Consoles Is Not Out of Reach; Will Support Voxel-Based GI

Denton

I know that you've kept the CryENGINE. Did you consider any other engine early on?

When we finished KCD, we looked at the technology we were using and considered our options. However, we decided that keeping CryENGINE made the most sense for us because we spent a lot of time customizing it for our needs. I think we are very happy. I'm quite proud of the performance we have now. We put a lot of effort into improving the performance since that can influence the perception of the game, and we wanted to have a smoother experience.

Did you get the latest version from Crytek or are you still using your own from the first installment?

We are working closely with Crytek, so we have access to the latest version of the engine. Of course, we also wanted to keep our customization from KCD 1. In the end, although the engine that we have is not quite the same engine that Crytek uses for Hunt: Showdown, it is very close.

Do you support hardware ray tracing and/or multiple upscalers in Kingdom Come Deliverance 2?

We support upscaling tech, both NVIDIA DLSS and AMD FSR. We are not using hardware ray tracing; CryENGINE has very good software ray tracing.

I remember the first Kingdom Come Deliverance to be quite heavy on PCs.

It was. There were a lot of things that we were doing just by brute force, and I think this additional time we had in the development for this sequel allowed us to optimize a lot, parallelize, and utilize CPUs better. Of course, hardware is faster now, and the consoles have more memory and better performance.

Will the game run at 60 FPS on consoles?

Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 is not finished yet, so we're still working on it, but 60FPS is not out of reach for us.

After Gamescom, I followed up with Warhorse PR Manager Tobias Stolz-Zwilling, who confirmed that the software ray tracing mentioned by Klima is actually an improved version of SVOGI, which stands for Sparse Voxel Octree Global Illumination. SVOGI was already available in the first Kingdom Come Deliverance game and in a few other CryENGINE-powered titles like War of Rights and SNOW. I also got confirmation that SVOGI will be available on consoles, too, for Kingdom Come Deliverance 2.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I remember the first game was demoed with SVOGI, but ultimately it was too demanding for the hardware back then. So, it's nice to see that GI is back to enhance those amazing landscapes

Last edited:
What about 60 fps at a resolution better than 720p?

I mean the game looks quite nice. Great lighting, lots of vegetation. So it will be heavy on the GPU. But thick vegetation in particular just looks bad at low resolutions.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
This game looks so good. I wish I had time to play it this year.

I don't personally care if its locked 30 or 60 tbh, I loved the first one and this looks even better.

nemiroff

Gold Member
And soon there'll be a new console too, sounds like a win for everyone.
At least for those of us that are loaded enough to afford a PC or a PS5 Pro :D

Anyway, does this (article) mean the demos of KCD2 we've seen are with GI enabled? I guess it does?

Last edited:

Flabagast

I remember the first game was demoed with SVOGI, but ultimately it was too demanding for the hardware back then. So, it's nice to see that GI is back to enhance those amazing landscapes
What’s funny is that the recent switch version has SVOGI enabled, which is not the case for the other versions

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Limiting factor in KCD is CPU, not GPU, so this is unlikely. But I probably wouldn't expect 60 on Xbox S.
the devs just said its not out of reach, its a hint here.

And dont forget dragon dogma 2 runs like unstable 30fps on console and the devs remove certain features to bump up the fps above 30fps. and they are still improving the frame rate.
Pacific drive, a 30fps only console game, has performance mode as well.

Anything could happen.

Mr.Phoenix

So you got this....
the end of the generation will brake people when most games will be 30 fps due to zen 2.

And from ther interview, this was said
I remember the first Kingdom Come Deliverance to be quite heavy on PCs.

It was. There were a lot of things that we were doing just by brute force, and I think this additional time we had in the development for this sequel allowed us to optimize a lot, parallelize, and utilize CPUs better. Of course, hardware is faster now, and the consoles have more memory and better performance.

That is literally what I have been saying about what we call "CPU bottlenecks", devs are not optimizing for all CPUs and what everyone is focusing on is throwing faster CPUs at the problem.

Sounds like code for "Pro" to me.
"It's running at 60fps on Pro but we can't say it yet."
So you got this....

And from ther interview, this was said

That is literally what I have been saying about what we call "CPU bottlenecks", devs are not optimizing for all CPUs and what everyone is focusing on is throwing faster CPUs at the problem.
Haha. So they admitted they were not even properly using multithreading in their first game.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Higher the resolution the less cpu is the factor.
Well.., is the argument that the PS5Pro has the same "CPU" but faster "GPU"? Keep in mind that when we're talking about CPU vs GPU and resolution we're talking about utilization and bottlenecks, who's waiting for who, not that the CPU workload itself is heavily impacted by resolution. The CPU still has to do the same processing.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

"It's running at 60fps on Pro but we can't say it yet."

Haha. So they admitted they were not even properly using multithreading in their first game.
And everyone just glossed over that and went straight to talking about faster CPU and Zen 2 again.

I swear I don't get it... even when a dev shockingly is honest and literally spells out what I have been saying for months about CPU bottlenecks vs CPU utilization, even when its something that is so easy to see on any CPU benchmark of a game, or in practice with "CPU bottlenecked" games getting a mysterious patch that (to speak in the spirit of how it seems to be taken) ADDS or downloads a faster CPU to platforms.....

Somehow, everyone seems to think that we need a faster CPU.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Please yes, And for the love of god support the first game and patch it with 60fps option on console, Amen.
G6VIcVy.gif

I'd be surprised if this hits 60fps on any consoles, mainly because of the engine and it's they're a relatively small dev team.

I think GTA6 has a higher chance of being 60fps (Rockstar have a way bigger Dev team, budget and they're given a lot of time).

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'd be surprised if this hits 60fps on any consoles, mainly because of the engine and it's they're a relatively small dev team.

I think GTA6 has a higher chance of being 60fps (Rockstar have a way bigger Dev team, budget and they're given a lot of time).

I'd say that it's more the genre of the game that may push it towards a lower framerate (it might do 60, idk, just making a point) more than other stuff. It's the balance of game mechanics vs framerate considering KCD2 is a "hardcore" RPG and heavily relies on item persistence, game logic, AI, world simulation and quest management more than f.ex. a traditional action game.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Well.., is the argument that the PS5Pro has the same "CPU" but faster "GPU"? Keep in mind that when we're talking about CPU vs GPU and resolution we're talking about utilization and bottlenecks, who's waiting for who, not that the CPU workload itself is heavily impacted by resolution. The CPU still has to do the same processing.
It becomes less about the cpu and more about the GPU at higher resolutions.

Exactly ...they're another Euro-dev that either doesn't give a fuck about console or can't optomize for shit on console.

The fact that they never patched KCD on ps5/sx is proof that they must have a disdain for console gamers.

nemiroff

Gold Member
It becomes less about the cpu and more about the GPU at higher resolutions.

MEDIA=youtube]LZgo_BmzgaI[/MEDIA
Not necessarily in a scenario where we have a set use of cpu resources which doesn't much change with resolution. Or wasn't the discussion about kcd2 and ps5/pro..? I'm almost confused now..

Last edited:

intbal

I stopped playing the first game after about 4 hours.
I'm not buying this unless I finish the first game.
And I'm never going to finish the first game unless they remove the 30hz* cap.

*It was capped at 31fps back when I played the game. Tom from DF said they patched it, but I've never launched it again to check.

Denton

Exactly ...they're another Euro-dev that either doesn't give a fuck about console or can't optomize for shit on console.

The fact that they never patched KCD on ps5/sx is proof that they must have a disdain for console gamers.
Moronic post, and if you are serious, you are a moron. The reason why they never patched KCD is because they have their hands full with KCD2 and Plaion (publisher) didn't greenlight them to make such a patch.
Or the video I posted.
Didn't watch it, but what is your point then? Mine is what I wrote. For CPU, resolution is mostly irrelevant. If a game is bottlenecked by CPU, it will be bottlenecked regardless of resolution.

What is the point of these? None are testing KCD2. And there are other games already on consoles that struggle to reach 60 due to CPU.

Denton

For example?
Black Myth Wukong, which needs to use frame generation to get there, as a latest example. Or Dragon's Dogma 2 that struggles to get even stable 30 in towns (although they are promising that next patch might improve it, getting to stable 60 seems doubtful). Gotham Knights is afaik also still at 30? Not sure. This is just from the top of my head.

Javi97

Neo Member
Black Myth Wukong, que necesita usar la generación de cuadros para llegar allí, como último ejemplo. O Dragon's Dogma 2, que lucha por conseguir incluso el nivel 30 estable en las ciudades (aunque prometen que el próximo parche podría mejorarlo, llegar al nivel 60 estable parece dudoso). ¿Gotham Knights también está, por lo que sé, en el nivel 30? No estoy seguro. Esto es solo lo que se me viene a la cabeza.

Here it seems to me that the GPU suffers more here, 1080p 60fps is possible with a better GPU, on the PS5 Pro they could use dynamic resolution 1440p-1080p with PSSR 4K to reach 60fps, which is the goal of PS5 Pro.

Dragon Dogma 2 is simply a disaster

Top Bottom