• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KobunHeat's Book...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I just finished reading it, I found it to be pretty enjoyable... It had a lot of interesting game tidbits that I didn't know and it was a nice crash course through the Japanese game industry. Only thing I wasn't too happy about was that the RPG section mostly followed FF, and didn't have Phantasy Star 1 and 2 on it... I think that these 2 are the original "cinematic RPGs", heavy storyline and character driven.

I'd love to see a book that expanded on the RPG chapter though... something like an overarching History of Japanese RPGs... hmmm, if I was a decent writer and had connections, I'd attempt something like that :p

The book also seemed to be leaving out some other important Japanese genres - the shooter (though I don't know how that'd fit into the whole theme of cinematic games and catchy characters), maybe why that's left off, and only a passing mention of dating sims.

But good job, Kobun... it was a fun and quick read, and it's nice to read something that focuses mostly on the Japanese industry, since that's what I grew up with and that's what I still almost exclusively play. I'm gonna let my girlfriend read it too, to see what she thinks.

Holy crap, a girl's going to read my book?

Only later on did the book's subtitle just say "Japanese video games" in general--in the beginning, it was about cinematic Japanese video games... so of course shooters never made it into any chapter.

Thanks very much! I just saw the book on shelves at Stacey's here in the city; first time I've seen it in a store!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Pimp it Kobun. http://bradygames.com/title/0744004241

Buy it at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-4678755-3508731?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Steven Kent said:
Kohler has done a very, very good job of surveying the Japanese video game industry.
Unlike other writers who have written game histories, Kohler speaks Japanese and lived in Japan. He covered the Japanese video game market for international publications. Frankly, the depth of his understanding shows throughout this book.
Kohler's interviews are direct and insightful. He managed to get access to many of Japan's leading game designers. As somebody who has read many books about the video game industry, I noticed that Kohler's knowledge of the Japanese language resulted in a more direct style of interview.
Kohler managed to get his hands on the creators of such games as ICO, Parapa, and, of course, Mario.
One thing I will say about "Power-Up" is that it is a specialized book. If you are looking for a general survey of gaming, or a picture book with glossy full-color art, this is not the book. This is NOT a book for folks who want to read about the games they played as kids.
"Power-Up" is a highly-specialized book. I believe that it belongs on the top shelf of ANY collector who considers himself/herself a serious student of video games. This is a resource, like Lenny Herman's "Phoenix," that will be appreciated by hardcore gamers for a very long time.

Just ordered the book. I thought it was pretty cool that Mr. Kent posted amazon comments on it, and, well, if it turns out anywhere near as enjoyable as Scheff's 'Game Over' was, then it will be worth the money.

I'm just about to order this.

So far, I've read Game Over and Dungeon and Dreamers (which I liked alot). I'm currently reading The Ultimate History of Videogames (which is just great) and I still have Supercade in my backlog.

I hope to enjoy it, but I'm glad I can support another gaming journalist.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I liked it. It reads like an expanded thesis at times (so do many books which probably start that way), but it's still enlightening about many small facts and let's face it...the industry isn't crawling with books that try to bridge the divide of popular history / academia.

Barnes and Nobles has it on their website, so it's most likely available for ordering from their stores if they don't already have it stocked. The ISBN is 0744004241 if they need it.

I'll probably pick it up sometime.. I haven't read any videogame centered books before..

I'm on the last chapter; good book, I must say. Nice to read a VG book that covers more than just the industry's history. Kudos, Kobun.

And thanks for that comprehensive FF discography, too!

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I ordered a copy of KH's book along with Steven Kentsbook from Amazon a while back (both for like $26). Well done Kohler.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I do find the "One Person Suggested" entry rather interesting.

I need to buy that book, Chris.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I finished reading this few days ago. (Also picked up the Kent and Sheff books, though I haven't started them yet.) It was entertaining, and enlightening in many ways. Cleared up some of the early (NES, SNES) details and politics that I was too young to know about.

I thought that Japanese law that barred the release of Dragon Quest games on a business or school day was an urban legend?

The book had quite a few strange little errors, mostly with punctuation. Time to get a new editor! ;p

Great job, though, seriously.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
My g/f got me the Steve Kent Ultimate History of Video Games for Xmas last year... it's a fantastic book, but the first half (pre NES) was much more in depth than the second half... the book should have been released in 2 parts, IMO. I still need to read "Game Over", been wanting to pick that up for a whiel. I also got "High Score" by Rusel DeMaria - a real cool picture book, though it seems to focus mostly on early computer games.

Top Bottom