• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Labrador Retrievers had cocaine surgically implanted by smugglers

Status
Not open for further replies.
_40408709_rex_203300.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3915663.stm

Rex, a Golden Labrador, was one of two dogs who had containers holding cocaine surgically inserted into their stomachs.

Their odd behaviour and dodgy paperwork prompted suspicious airport staff in Amsterdam to contact Customs officers after the dogs arrived from Colombia.

Rex and black Labrador Frispa were examined and x-rayed by a vet after one was acting aggressively and the other weak.

They had scars, about four weeks old, on their stomachs from where 21 packets of cocaine had been stitched into them.

This isn't all that different from the women who carry drugs in their breast implants or swallowing huge packets of cocaine to fly over to the US.

Maria Full Of Grace - An awesome film. As I write this, I heard it just won the audience award and it really deserves it. Maria lives in the suburbs of Bogota, Columbia and through her desire to create a better life for herself becomes a "mule" for a Colombian drug lord. The film very carefully follows her process of becoming a mule and then covers the grim details of her journey. For those unfamiliar with this process of smuggling cocaine into the US, men and women in Columbia are paid to swallow 40 to 60 small plastic bags full of cocaine. They are given plane tickets and are sent to the United States and to deliver the drugs. It is extremely dangerous and in addition to the danger of being caught, if a bag should burst it can be fatal for the Mule. All the details of the journey are covered and at times it feels like a version of "Wages of Fear" but instead of a truck full of nitro, our characters have to protect a gut full of pure cocaine. It is gripping and two things really set this film apart for me. First, Maria is a complex character and isn't "forced" into this line of work as much out of necessity as much as pride. She longs for a better life than what her Colombian existence provides her and she hopes that one or two trips will provide her with the money she needs. By the end of the film, she has really matured and has changed in her values. The second thing that sets this film apart is the positive portrait it paints of the Colombian community in New York. This community plays an important part in her journey and is a nice contrast to the drug runners that are often seen in film.

These bags can actually be pretty big. They look like gigantic, i mean 2 inch long pills.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_327740.html?menu=
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16861

Malakhov

Banned
That is sick, just sick.
Imagine their fate if they had crossen over, some dude would of cut them open and just let them die there after taking the drug out, good god.

At least now one was saved and the other euthanised :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom