• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lake Mungo: an obscure yet excellent horror film.

angrod14

I discovered this movie thanks to certain youtubers recommendations (Ryan Hollinger, Chris Stuckmann and others). It is a very niche australian production directed by an obviously talented guy who apparently never made another movie and just disappeared.

During my first viewing I thought the film was decent but nothing exceptional. It's more of a family drama about grief than an actual horror movie. But the film really clicked with me afterwards. I'm normally not a fan of ghost or paranormal movies, but I think this one did it really well.

Certain scenes that might seem mundane were actually quite dreading to me. Still shots of Alice's empty room, the empty house hallways illuminated by the fading sun in the afternoon, it made me feel this deep sense of unease, like she was lingering there even though I couldn't see her.

There are other scenes that are complete exposition without showing anything, but the narration works so well because you start imagining the scene in your head and it's terryfing. For example, when the father told he went into Alice's room at night after she died and just sat in her bed, then suddenly saw her entering the room nonchalantly, unaware he was there at first. Then she becomes aware of him and starts looking at him quietly, then screams and tells him to get out. I would be running for ma life and never returning.

There's also signs of sophisticated cinema here. Like, there's a shit ton of foreshadowing. We learn that many of the actions that Alice did while being alive, she recreates in her ghostly form after dying: we see her kicking out her brother out of her room, the same way she did with her father after dying. Standing all wet in front of her parents bed at night, looking at them. Etc.

And obviously, then you have the infamous zooming shots. Some creepy ass shit right there.

It's not the scariest movie ever when you watch it. But after you watch it, you'll certainly be looking around for ghostly figures in the dark before sleeping.

Anyways, very good film. Totally recommended.

Last edited:
I loved it as well but it's a very slow burn so it's definitely not for everyone. Gotta give it your undivided attention or it'll probably fall flat.

But yeah I also watched it off a YT recommendation (RLM), but it was an offhand recommendation as a contrast to some modern horror movie they were reviewing (probably one of the IT movies because they were filled with jumpscares).

thief183

Yes, very good movie, and made me search for more of this style (mockumentary of I'm not wrong). Didn't,t any other one that caught me like this one. If you have any recommendation I'll really appreciate:)

I heard about this movie and fell victim to one of those "It's midnight; I can't sleep; need content to read, so I'll read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia" moments.

Really wish I hadn't. Seems like I would've liked this movie. I even liked Skinamarink, and that's THE slowest slow burn I've ever seen.

JimmyF

I see this movie recommended on r/horror all the time, but really don't get the hype. I gave it a fair shot but it's just too boring for me.
Then again very few slow-burn movies work for me.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Is it anything like this one?

God, what a waste this film was...

6bogDj6.jpeg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Good movie. Very, very low-key though. To the extent I'd consider it less of a horror movie than psychological drama.

Bartski

Gold Member
funny I also had this film recommended to me yesterday, just finished watching it and I thought it was absolutely shit.

Top Bottom