• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laptop with video INPUT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, so I will be replacing my old laptop at the end of this year with a nice new model. I'd love to get a 9800 Mobile in there, of course, but one odd thing I am interested in is video input. I honestly do not know if this is even possible or available on ANY laptops, but I would like to ability to input S-video or Composite into the laptop and display them on the LCD.

Is this possible and, if so, which companies offer it?

Ken said that his doesn't have it, he's sure that there's some that have it, and that he's not dead.

I'm postive that he's lying about one of those.

Scoobert

I would recommend an external tv tuner. Basically that's what these laptops have, tv tuners. You're better off buying an external one and getting the one YOU like.

Don't get a laptop based on if it has video in. As you can see, it really limits your choices. Just look at the eternal tv tuners. The most you would ever spend on one of them is $200.

tenchir

Just buy a laptop that suits your need without video input and buy an external version instead. It will save you a lot of headache in the long run. I think ATI will have a HDTV external tuner out soon that is basically equivalent to the PCI version that is coming out.

Edit: Heh, what scoobert said. :p

dark10x

Thanks guys! I think I will just look towards an external tuner...that would be much more reasonable, it seems.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what would it connect with though? USB2, or PCMCIA? I've always been dubious about those TV tuners based on USB1, thinking the bandwidth would never be good enough.

Scoobert

USB1 is definitely not a good choice. If your laptop has it, just go with USB2. If not, get a Firewire PCMCIA card.

dark10x

Wait, most new laptops ship with firewire ports...but those ports are not the full size powered firewire ports. Is that a requirement here?

You got a portable power supply for consoles too?

Why would I even need that? The laptop, in this case, will be used mainly as a desktop replacement...as I can't possibly take my whole desktop PC along with me.

I'm just trying to imagine what you wanted s-vid inputs for, as I assume this 'top is meant for the pond hop and I know you're not going to be resolved with an LCD home screen.

Figured you'd wanna be able to play that Megaman collection anywhere.

And while we're on it. What's been decided about your XBOX? I bet your sibling won't let it go easily.

Scoobert

dark10x said:
Wait, most new laptops ship with firewire ports...but those ports are not the full size powered firewire ports. Is that a requirement here?

Their's 2 firewire types, 6-pins and 4-pins. You could always buy an extra cable that will let you put a 4-pin device to a 6-pin port, and vice versa. Some products even give you that extra cable included, depends on the manufacturer.

In other words, don't make your decission based on the number of pins. You'll limit your options again. An easy fix is just that extra cable.

dark10x

ArcadeStickMonk said:
I'm just trying to imagine what you wanted s-vid inputs for, as I assume this 'top is meant for the pond hop and I know you're not going to be resolved with an LCD home screen.

Figured you'd wanna be able to play that Megaman collection anywhere.

And while we're on it. What's been decided about your XBOX? I bet your sibling won't let it go easily.

Well, on the go gaming would be cool...but imagine how much shit I'd have to carry. :p

As for the XBOX, sadly, I'm leaving that behind. I'm only taking my PS2 and Gamecube with me and will simply buy a Japanese XBOX (cuz it will be dirt cheap) later on. I will probably also try to buy a Japanese Dreamcast as well, which would make for a nice backup and would allow JP games to be played without a boot disc. :p

While my apartment will be furnished, I am uncertain as to whether there will be a TV present (and if there is, who knows if it will be decent). I want to go in prepared, which is why I am going this route. Hopefully the tuner will be able to recieve Japanese broadcasts...though I don't see why it couldn't.

In other words, don't make your decission based on the number of pins. You'll limit your options again. An easy fix is just that extra cable.

Oh, I know there are converters. I wasn't going to base my choice on that factor, as most laptops ship with 4-pin firewire ports anyway.

I've tried to find info on ATI's external tuner, but have only found the PCI card that is coming up soon. I did see some other products, but I am most interested in seeing what ATI has on the horizon.

You expect me to believe that you'd be satisfied with a laptop screen, even for a few weeks? Nuh-uh, that violates too many of your personal tenants. I mean, what if Iwas to come in here saying, "I'll play Street Fighter with a pad and speak no ill." You'd cry imposter, you would.

More likely, me thinks, you'll step off the plane, adjust yourself openly in that way that you do, and then say to the cabbie, "Take me to Akihabara, bitch!"

dark10x

ArcadeStickMonk said:
You expect me to believe that you'd be satisfied with a laptop screen, even for a few weeks? Nuh-uh, that violates too many of your personal tenants. I mean, what if Iwas to come in here saying, "I'll play Street Fighter with a pad and speak no ill." You'd cry imposter, you would.

More likely, me thinks, you'll step off the plane, adjust yourself openly in that way that you do, and then say to the cabbie, "Take me to Akihabara, bitch!"

It's going to be hard as hell to deal with an LCD, I'll admit (though the 16x9 aspect ratio is appealing). I don't want to do it, but I have to cover my ass here. An LCD is better than nothing.

I'll just try to pretend that all of my games suddenly developed motion blur filters. Yeah, that's what I'll do. :(

ghostbusters.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom