• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT5| Premade Bot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzery

Hey guys, new to the thread.

Id like some advice on getting over my fear of ranked lol....

Im surprised i have this problem as i have never been nervous when it comes to ranked pvp in any other game, but i also haven't attempted ranked pvp in a moba, i guess my general fear is of the community.
(what i mean is i haven't played a moba seriously since warcraft 3)

Im not terrible, I've been following the game since season 1 finals and always learn from the streams and normals etc, i know what to pick and ban (whats good at the moment etc.) and my main is support. Im also well versed in builds for pretty much any champ I'm capable of playing decently. i would really love to get over this fear of ranked so i can start the climb when season 4 drops next year -.-

Have any of you ever had this issue, and if so how did you overcome it?

It's true that there are a lot of ragers in the community, but everyone makes mistakes and you shouldn't let it affect you too much. If they aren't constructive then just mute them immediately.

Plus, don't get too caught up in the fact that there's a ranking or you have points or a certain league or w/e. Personally, I like to have the mentality that it's just a nice mode to hone your skills against better opponents. It's hard to not go on tilt sometimes though.

Milennia

The thing to remember about the community is that most of the people who whine and complain all game do it no matter what. I had a game yesterday where every lane was up 3-4 kills and had pushed down their first tier turrets, and our mid laner was still whining nonstop about "never getting any ganks"; I have no idea how he imagines a pushed lane would get ganked consistently, or why he even cared when we were up like 15 kills, 2 dragons, and 3 turrets, but man he would not shut up about it.

Take their comments under advisement if there seems to be any actual substance to them ("We need more wards!" etc.), but otherwise ignore anything that isn't a actual team strategy recommendation/requests . You ignore the guy going off about your teammate's build. You ignore the guy going off about your teammate's CS. You ignore the guy going off about how the game was lost when he didn't get to play mid, or when top didn't pick Jax, or whatever thing has crawled up his ass in that exact moment. These players literally always whine, they aren't worth the effort of even talking to.

Aside from that, don't worry about ranking so much. The point of a matchmaking system is to pair you up with people of a level of skill as close to identical to your own as possible, so that you can have close, exciting games that push you to the limit of your abilities. There's no shame in being in a lower division as long as the games you're having within that division are fun and challenging.
Thanks for the response :D i will remember this advise for sure.

I have deffinetly taken shit from people who just complain no matter what is going on in other games as well lol.

I just always assumed it would be worse in league as people always talk down about the community as a whole ( which i know is not true, i have met decent people just playing league) . Im not in a rush for diamond or anything like that, I'm deffinetly going to take it slow :p especially by playing preseason games in hopes to get used to the new mechanics and go into season 4 on launch day with a fresh ranked game ( i assumed a lot of people would do this as many of my friends did in season 3).

Thanks for the advice once again.

Milennia

It's true that there are a lot of ragers in the community, but everyone makes mistakes and you shouldn't let it affect you too much. If they aren't constructive then just mute them immediately.

Plus, don't get too caught up in the fact that there's a ranking or you have points or a certain league or w/e. Personally, I like to have the mentality that it's just a nice mode to hone your skills against better opponents. It's hard to not go on tilt sometimes though.

Thanks for the advise , just as i detailed in my last post, its all being taken :D

In normals I've had some moments where even i have gotten upset over someone just having an off game, but i never once said anything that wasn't constructive in chat.

Im pretty good at controlling myself on that front. Been playing competitive games too long to get worked up myself:p

Edwardo

Im surprised i have this problem as i have never been nervous when it comes to ranked pvp in any other game, but i also haven't attempted ranked pvp in a moba, i guess my general fear is of the community.

Im not terrible, I've been following the game since season 1 finals and always learn from the streams and normals etc, i know what to pick and ban (whats good at the moment etc.) and my main is support. Im also well versed in builds for pretty much any champ I'm capable of playing decently. i would really love to get over this fear of ranked so i can start the climb when season 4 drops next year -.-

Just keep playing and you'll overcome it. When I started, I was so nervous to try playing ranked. A friend of mine asked me to duo and I ended up jungling in a game with mostly Platinum players. I had this nervous and anxious feeling because I had just started playing and didn't want to disappoint my team. It was the same feeling I got when I started playing in clan matches or when I started doing arenas in WoW. Honestly, just keep playing games and treat every one as a learning experience.

Also, I try to keep it cool while playing, but sometimes it's inevitable to be frustrated with your teammates or even yourself. There are times where I'll yell at the screen because either myself or one of my teammates messed up. Just try to be as constructive as possible. I hate when players get all negative in chat. It helps nothing and ruins any kind of teamwork/morale that is there or could possibly be there.

I have deffinetly taken shit from people who just complain no matter what is going on in other games as well lol.

Yeah, I know people who do this playing basketball or soccer with friends, even. They just tend to show slightly more restraint for the sake of not getting beaten senseless. I would say compared to the sort of rampant racism and homophobia on X-Box Live that League is at worst full of crybabies, most of whom are at least not sociopaths.

Milennia

Just keep playing and you'll overcome it. When I started, I was so nervous to try playing ranked. A friend of mine asked me to duo and I ended up jungling in a game with mostly Platinum players. I had this nervous and anxious feeling because I had just started playing and didn't want to disappoint my team. It was the same feeling I got when I started playing in clan matches or when I started doing arenas in WoW. Honestly, just keep playing games and treat every one as a learning experience.

Most of my competitive experience comes from wow 3s lol , i remember being ok with that one though, as we only started doing them because we were done raiding for the week ( from the end of wrath to the end of cata pretty much) and pvp was never my main thing in wow, so i took it really lightly ( even though we ended up getting 2 glad titles because of how much spare time we had lol), i did get better after each game though, we would usually smash counter comps as well by simply outplaying , i hope to get that good at league in season 4 by doing the same thing as wow and constantly playing and learning :D thanks for the advise and bringing back some memories lol.

Just saw your edit lol, yeah i detailed in my previous post, I'm pretty tame in that sense , I'm just not a negative person at all when it comes to games really, i would never become what i hate.

Milennia

Yeah, I know people who do this playing basketball or soccer with friends, even. They just tend to show slightly more restraint for the sake of not getting beaten senseless. I would say compared to the sort of rampant racism and homophobia on X-Box Live that League is at worst full of crybabies, most of whom are at least not sociopaths.

Oh yeah, that armchair warrior stuff lol when it comes to console gaming and I'm getting raged at for clearly outplaying someone or something, i just picture that person as an upset 10 year old.

Works pretty well when they usually sound like one -.-

Im not going to get upset over a child playing games am i :p

Ranked with dobkeratops in a nutshell:

aRySZ4t.png

Mothman91

You sounded like me before I started ranked. I've been following the game/scene since S1 and didn't even start till recently (I think I started probably the last quarter of S3). I also had a bit of a nervousness when it came to ranked. Never wanted to start it, heard the "bad" news that came out of the games and such.

You sound like you have an actual understanding which is very key. Just need to head in there with cold feet and you'll settle in very quick which I did. I never played draft and I accustomed to it instantly. I think you can make an easy climb to S1/gold if you are very comfortable and have an understanding of the game, which you sound like you do.

Milennia

You sounded like me before I started ranked. I've been following the game/scene since S1 and didn't even start till recently (I think I started probably the last quarter of S3). I also had a bit of a nervousness when it came to ranked. Never wanted to start it, heard the "bad" news that came out of the games and such.

You sound like you have an actual understanding which is very key. Just need to head in there with cold feet and you'll settle in very quick which I did. I never played draft and I accustomed to it instantly. I think you can make an easy climb to S1/gold if you are very comfortable and have an understanding of the game, which you sound like you do.

Thanks! :D i think its going to come down to just that.
Just queuing up in the middle of the night with random dubstep playing and not even think about it lol, ill Deffinetly be partaking in this thread and updating everyone on my performance etc, you've all been really helpful in motivating me to just do it.

Edwardo

Thanks! :D i think its going to come down to just that.
Just queuing up in the middle of the night with random dubstep playing and not even think about it lol, ill Deffinetly be partaking in this thread and updating everyone on my performance etc, you've all been really helpful in motivating me to just do it.

What server do you play on? Make sure you join the NeoGAF chat channel!

EU Promotion Semi-Finals about to kick off. I have no idea who to even pick for wins in these after the hot mess that was the Round of 16. I suppose Salade Tomate Oignon for this set, maybe.

I wouldn't recommend supporting if you're just starting out with ranked and still have to go through placement matches.

Disclaimer: I don't feel there's anything wrong with the support 'class' per sé when it comes to climbing leagues / ranked tiers. Maining support to Diamond is realistically doable as many have already proven before... However! Up until you reach a certain tier (Gold II - I and onwards), the quality of play from your allies will be incredibly inconsistent. Yes, someone who knows how to actually play a support can very much be a deciding factor for bot lane, but more often than not you'll still run into teammates who do not know how to make the most out of your plays (if for instance you're Thresh) or those who flatline your best efforts to keep someone safe. Objective control won't be valued as much as it should, people will selfishly drift around or chase to (usually) everyone else's detriment and you'll still see people get caught off-guard by a gank even if you covered their lanes with wards. With pings. And "MIA / missing" (which is nothing but misguided courtesy) in chat. In other words; the majority of players will not be good (be it due to inexperience or lackluster mechanics) until a certain point, and being a "no-income ward bitch" will only make the ranked experience until then all the more grueling no matter how many possibilities the kit from your support champion of choice can open up. Especially if it turns out your ADC squanders the gold advantage you gave him through kills or zoning by getting his item build all wrong.

If you feel comfortable with any other role, I'd suggest playing that one until you notice the average player actually being decent with their champion picks for a good support to start visibly mattering. Duo queue'ing also helps making the initial ranked games less painful, provided your partner is knowledgeable.

And you'll get over the stereotypical "performance anxiety" soon enough. If you've already played Normal Draft often, you'll notice that both modes don't really differ from one another all that much (outside of attachment to some number) if you're already getting matched against skilled enemies. I usually end up facing or being paired with Platinum / Diamond players myself, and as a result Normal Draft has been a more worthwhile experience for me than what little I played of Ranked (barely 50 in a year's time, excluding 3 vs 3 teams).

Good luck either way.

Milennia

What server do you play on? Make sure you join the NeoGAF chat channel!
will do, I play on NA:)

I wouldn't recommend supporting if you're just starting out with ranked and still have to go through placement matches.

Disclaimer: I don't feel there's anything wrong with the support 'class' per sé when it comes to climbing leagues / ranked tiers. Maining support to Diamond is realistically doable as many have already proven before... However! Up until you reach a certain tier (Gold II - I and onwards), the quality of play from your allies will be incredibly inconsistent. Yes, someone who knows how to actually play a support can very much be a deciding factor for bot lane, but more often than not you'll still run into teammates who do not know how to make the most out of your plays (if for instance you're Thresh) or those who flatline your best efforts to keep someone safe. Objective control won't be valued as much as it should, people will selfishly drift around or chase to (usually) everyone else's detriment and you'll still see people get caught off-guard by a gank even if you covered their lanes with wards. With pings. And "MIA / missing" (which is nothing but misguided courtesy) in chat. In other words; the majority of players will not be good (be it due to inexperience or lackluster mechanics) until a certain point, and being a "no-income ward bitch" will only make the ranked experience until then all the more grueling no matter how many possibilities the kit from your support champion of choice can open up. Especially if it turns out your ADC squanders the gold advantage you gave him through kills or zoning by getting his item build all wrong.

If you feel comfortable with any other role, I'd suggest playing that one until you notice the average player actually being decent with their champion picks for a good support to start visibly mattering. Duo queue'ing also helps making the initial ranked games less painful, provided your partner is knowledgeable.

And you'll get over the stereotypical "performance anxiety" soon enough. If you've already played Normal Draft often, you'll notice that both modes don't really differ from one another all that much (outside of attachment to some number) if you're already getting matched against skilled enemies. I usually end up facing or being paired with Platinum / Diamond players myself, and as a result Normal Draft has been a more worthwhile experience for me than what little I played of Ranked (barely 50 in a year's time, excluding 3 vs 3 teams).

Good luck either way.

Thanks, oh yeah I'm deffinetly aware of the difficulties in climbing as a support main, however I do play some underused champs in other roles as well, so that I'm at least 40% sure I'll get that champ lol such as morg etc.

Thanks for the advice , I'll deff keep you guys posted.

like I get where you are coming from not liking the passive on sunfire and it definitely declines in relevance as the game goes on

but I still think sunfire is the only item that gives all the things it gives and that all those things contribute in good ways to the champs you see sunfire being built on. I think I can outfight a renekton with a tiamat + assorted dolans as a shen with sunfire, and if I can't, a gank would certainly be more effective on the renekton that only has dorans items n lifesteal for defense. id probably want a sunfire on zac before haunting guise, etc.

but iunno my builds always bandwagon on the pro scene, I'd definitely be up for hearing reasons why other items are better
o yeah also I feel like you'd be more likely to see an offensive item coming out of a laner if they are ahead, like I probably wouldn't be building a bruta or tiamat->hydra on renek against a shen that was richer than me
Tiamat -> Hydra before anything else is questionable enough as it is, given the risk involved to make it work. On some champions it can be worthwhile due to their rapid snowball potential (like Lee or Riven), but any top laner with a champion who's able to fight back accordingly or any competent jungler with awareness will take advantage of such fragility. It's even worse when you see a melee laner still rush that item when behind and the enemy only gets further ahead from there.

And for Renekton I'd probably prefer a Brutalizer / Hexdrinker + Giant's Belt with a cloth armor or two anyways when ahead to such a degree. That said, something has to have gone horribly wrong for him to ever lose to a Shen.

Oh my God. Fuck riven. Seriously. I hate this champion with every ounce of my soul. Barely any fucking counterplay. FUCK YOU RIVEN IM SO SALTY RIGHT NOW UGH
Likely forgetting a few but Garen, Trundle, Renekton, Elise, Karma, Quinn, Darius, Yorick with a good build and AD Nidalee can beat or keep her in check. Though you don't really want to play the latter since she's a one-trick pony (win lane and push or else).

Riven, Aatrox, Nasus, Singed, Kassadin, Fizz, YORICK, Tryndamere are the worst.

Either impossible to counterplay when they're ahead, or impossible to lane against fairly.

The worst are Fizz and Kass. Your entire team can be dedicated to peeling for you and it counts for nothing due to their invulnerability/mobility/silence.
Kassadin and Fizz only appear much worse than they are during the early stages of the game because the majority of players stubbornly insist on playing a squishy AP against them.

Riven is a good exercise in knowing how and when you should trade effectively. She's good and can snowball well, but there's no lack of champions who can keep her under control or stop her in her tracks.

Susan and Singed are weak early to ranged harrass. If they reach late game though (especially the former) with ample farm, you'd better hope your team knows how to kite damn well.

Tryndamere is strong, but a lot of players right now are unable to read his damage potential ("OMG TRYN dat lucky crit") in lane or have the wrong strategy in mind to stop him from exerting constant pressure top lane. Almost always do you see someone build their champion so that they won't die to him during early to mid game (read: full tank), which is just begging to get dominated on eventually anyways. What you need to do is be able to survive his early damage whilst being able to fight back. Do that and you can put an end to his pushing and simultaneous snowballing. Susan being one of the clearest answers against Tryndamere, for example; he doesn't mind rushing a big armor item like Frozen Heart whatsoever, Wither on top of that and he can very much dish out the pain himself back after a moderate amount of stacks.

And I already discussed Tear Yorick before. I've been trying to help, but we're at an impasse here if you don't acknowledge his blatant weaknesses. If you're the top laner, you couldn't ask for more than a squishy low-mobility melee if you have a shred of all-in potential. If you're the jungler, you couldn't ask for an easier lane to gank and camp. If you're the ADC, then what are you worried about? Most Yoricks build him ineffectively (thus rendering themselves nigh-on useless in teamfights), can't easily reach you and your role scales much harder come late game.

scy

These are really good, but he says like too often and he tends to repeat himself a bit making the same point. Also these lectures largely come from the perspective of an adc, and so I've learned a lot about trading and positioning in the bot lane from these videos, but it hasn't really taught me much about top or mid, which I imagine is largely because it's so matchup dependent how the lane turns out.

His stuff really helps if you play a ranged carry like Jinx/Varus/Caitlyn. Would be amazing if there were similar quality resources on the other positions, but I fear they would have to be far more matchup focused.

I mean, he has lectures about top and mid. Trading and positioning is universal. He mains ADC, sure, but it's not like his other role videos are bad.

And for Renekton I'd probably prefer a Brutalizer / Hexdrinker + Giant's Belt with a cloth armor or two anyways when ahead to such a degree. That said, something has to have gone horribly wrong for him to ever lose to a Shen.

I prefer Hydra to Brutalizer if I'm massively ahead (e.g., that first back was Brutalizer + cloth/boots/dorans/whatever vs Tiamat) and am getting one damage item. It lets me push better / without skill use and the AoE Lifesteal is very relevant when forcing fights inside minion waves. Brutalizer is a far better damage item at the ~1400 gold mark but Hydra is a better item for lane pressure (as it should be at over double the cost).

That said, I say that from the perspective of someone who primarily looks to split down top when massively ahead.

Riven is a good exercise in knowing how and when you should trade effectively. She's good and can snowball well, but there's no lack of champions who can keep her under control or stop her in her tracks.

More or less. From my perspective of Riven, losing comes down to people knowing that they need to chip away for free as much as possible. Just completely prevent me from having the HP to comfortably all-in you. If you play scared of me the entire time, I'll just freeze you out and take my all-in when you break.

Note to self: don't underestimate Nocturne's pushing power with Hydra and Shiv.

It was gonna be a tower+inhib trade for both sides, with 3 of us pushing mid against a Nocturne pushing our bot. Nocturne took out an extra nexus turret.

Einbroch

Banned
An interesting thread about Riot's game development and their promises along the way on the GD forum.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3956405

I wanted to see what you guys thought about it, and maybe to also confirm whether Riot said the earlier things as I wasn't playing back then.

IP costs on difficulty level is stupid. This leads to more complex ==> higher skill cap ==> expensive champions can be stronger than cheaper ones ==> pay to win.

Skins are their main money maker. Why would they ever limit them? In fact, they should pump out as many as possible as long as they're interesting and high quality.

This is still true. 1350 skins are higher quality. Some of the older skins like Divine Soraka and such as 975 for no reason, so I guess that still makes sense. But then...don't buy them.

1350 are not the standard. Just looking back 16 skins (not even talking about the Harrowing skins), three are 1350, two are 1820, and eleven are 975. And ALL those 1350 skins were on sale for 975 at launch. This makes no sense.

There are some issues, but this guy seems upset that they brought back his limited skins and is making a stink to make a stink.

An interesting thread about Riot's game development and their promises along the way on the GD forum.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3956405

I wanted to see what you guys thought about it, and maybe to also confirm whether Riot said the earlier things as I wasn't playing back then.

The IP costs were originally based on difficulty level, yes. That doesn't even really constitute a "lie", though, just a shift in priority; almost every new champion released is vastly more difficult to play when compared to older champions like Ryze and Garen. The price of champions is now based on age, with some older champions depreciating in cost as a result, which is something that would have never happened under the old system. (It's not as if they're getting easier to play, right?)

There are still skins that are rare or exclusive. The whinging over the holiday skins is (literally) a thread entirely unto itself, but to spare you the search: most people who actually play the game like the change.

And no, they didn't say that the 1350 RP price for a skin would be a one-time deal for only a single skin. They said it wouldn't be replacing the 975 RP tier, and it hasn't: they still release skins at 975 RP, like Officer Vi. The 1350 RP tier is almost entirely inhabited by skins that would have once been priced at 1820 RP under the old pricing structure. I honestly don't see the point of whining about having more granularity in the pricing.

Almost all these things were said by a Riot employee in charge of monetization on the forums, not as top-level pronouncements from the entire design team. He came on staff last year, and the only thing that's really changed since they brought him on staff that's worth complaining about is the "first week punitive price" for buying brand new champions with IP.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
i don't know how to break it to you guys but doge is now the worst and most overused meme.

brian!

im ok w/ that

i dont know why we started talking about ppl being ahead at top, I was just wondering about building sunfire vs. building something else and whether building something else can contribute to how top lane is played compared to getting a sunfire

i only said sumthing about being ahead because that's the only reason I would see ppl coming back to lane w/ big ol offensive items on gat0r, but I don't want to assume aheadness especially in matchups like renek/zac vs. shen

brian!

the only place i encounter doge or memes on the internet probably is here and twitch chat

but that's why twitch chat is nice u can find the new hot meme

im ok w/ that

i dont know why we started talking about ppl being ahead at top, I was just wondering about building sunfire vs. building something else and whether building something else can contribute to how top lane is played compared to getting a sunfire

i only said sumthing about being ahead because that's the only reason I would see ppl coming back to lane w/ big ol offensive items on gat0r, but I don't want to assume aheadness especially in matchups like renek/zac vs. shen

I love me a Tiamat versus Shen. He can't do much to punish it*, and he can't handle that kind of wave-clearing with his girly little ninja arms. That does sort of box you in to spilt-pushing/tower-punishment as your strategy versus him, though, where Sunfire Cape tends to put your team in better position for a Lv6 dragon fight. You don't really have to be "ahead" for Tiamat since the amount of sustain on it completely shuts down Shen and his lack of burst damage, you just have to be more wary of jungle interference.

*Disclaimer: Some people have rediscovered Trinity Force Shen and might actually punish you for going more offensive. It's pretty rare, though.

I prefer Hydra to Brutalizer if I'm massively ahead (e.g., that first back was Brutalizer + cloth/boots/dorans/whatever vs Tiamat) and am getting one damage item. It lets me push better / without skill use and the AoE Lifesteal is very relevant when forcing fights inside minion waves. Brutalizer is a far better damage item at the ~1400 gold mark but Hydra is a better item for lane pressure (as it should be at over double the cost).

That said, I say that from the perspective of someone who primarily looks to split down top when massively ahead.
Yeah, Hydra's in itself is a good pick-up on Renekton (and multiple other melee's) for the reasons you described above. It's just that outright rushing it above all else has a not-so-unlikely possibility to backfire regardless of one's champion pick and the blind favoritism Hydra enjoys in solo queue as of late (i.e. "rush it even when I've already died twice and am 2 levels behind!") sets a bad precedent that many are too happy to copy.

1350 are not the standard. Just looking back 16 skins (not even talking about the Harrowing skins), three are 1350, two are 1820, and eleven are 975. And ALL those 1350 skins were on sale for 975 at launch. This makes no sense.
Riot didn't adapt to their current "28% off on release" policy for 1350 RP skins right off the bat, mind you. Mecha'zix (while cheaper through the launch bundle) and Dragon Trainer Lulu didn't receive such a discount when they were made available, and they only took the criticisms surrounding this price tag into account by the time they finished up Bear Cavalry Sejuani.

Doesn't make the aforementioned thread sound like anything other than straight-up belly-aching though.

i don't know how to break it to you guys but doge is now the worst and most overused meme.
Let's move on to froge.

im ok w/ that

Step 1: buy Chain Vest (or maybe 2 cloth armors) and a Giant Belt.
Step 2: use the 950g you'd otherwise spend on the +5 armor / +70 health / stagnant passive upgrade on a Pickaxe for Tiamat (+ a ward) if applicable to your champion of choice.
Step 3: Profit! More flexible and well-rounded, even in a neutral lane!

brian!

hm iunno about any of this but i see u dere trying to avoid the upgrade and I understand
itz boiled down to sunfire moar helpful to team, prtty good in lane
and offense good for putting pressure up top

Why do people fp Lucian and Tryndamere?

That's a pretty good question. I suppose with Lucian the idea might be the classic one regarding bottom lane (ie, that counter-picking isn't as much of a problem compared to top or mid, so you can afford to show a carry first), but Trond... well, supreme confidence, I suppose.

Edwardo

Curse Academy is about to play Napkins in Disguise for a qualifier spot! http://www.twitch.tv/wellplayed

Well i don't think i'll hit gold in the next week so i'm trying to accept that i'm a silver 2 scrubber :(

Damnit, not now! NOT LIKE THIS!

Damn, I just got a Desert Trooper Garen through mystery gift. I guess that makes up for the doofy stuff I was getting before.

It'll get you ready for the heat of the shurima desert patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom