• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT8| Goodbye, Promos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the bitching this bad when people realized they didn't give Valor a voice? Why even make him male then. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Valor has a personality thanks to Quinn translating his dirty old man jokes. Also Valor's gender has never been a selling point.

I expected her to fill a certain niche thanks to the specific pronoun calling. She's filling a different niche. I am disappointed. Not that hard to understand.

Blizzard

Banned
But why does the default on monsters have to be the male? Given Kalista and her, it does not seem like Riot is just doing this to tick boxes.
To simplify, why didn't Riot say it's an "it"? That would be something new and unique, a completely monstrous, genderless, void monster. Unlike Kha'zix, or Kog'maw, or Cho'gath, who are all apostrophe-named monsters who still somehow speak with male voices, this could be something different.

Like, imagine if Blitzcrank wasn't a "he" with the male suit skin and mustache, and was just a genderless robot? It's a robot! It doesn't have to be male or female, yet Blitzcrank is male and Orianna is female. Why not just say this one is neither? Maybe something ingame will make it different, but I don't see any brood queen mention, or eggs, or anything that necessitates it being one way or the other besides maybe color. And color would be a silly distinguishing factor.

*edit* The above poster brought up a good point. It's a monster. Who says that species has only two genders? It could be both! It could have 5 genders! It could switch around like everyone's favorite movie, Splice!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Give her a personality of some sort and not some random clicking noises and grunts if you're going to do that.
This has nothing to do with gender though. Voice communicates so much, and it's part of why Dota 2 characters have way more personality than what you find in League. It's pretty lousy on Riot's part to have 1/3 of the champions they release this year essentially be voiceless. Really it comes off as lazy or unambitious.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but to further clarify, the above points would STILL apply if Riot had said Rek'Sai is a "he", I think.

It's a monster champion. Having a female makes sense due to sexual dimorphism. I like the voice, I don't want another another anthropomorphized thing like Kha'zix.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What we really need in MOBAs is a third gender.

zkylon

zkylewd
some info on her i read on reddit:

she can have up to 8 tunnels alive at any given point

each tunnel lasts 10 minutes

you can tunnel through walls and do the crazy ult dash to whichever tunnel you want

enemies can destroy her tunnels by sitting on them like they'd do for zyra seeds, only a little longer. and it gives money when you stomp em

What we really need in MOBAs is a third gender.
if you ask me we have one too many genders already

It's a monster champion. Having a female makes sense due to sexual dimorphism. I like the voice, I don't want another another anthropomorphized thing like Kha'zix.
Well yeah, it makes sense. The point is saying she is one means absolutely nothing.

It doesn't tell a story, she's not some broodmother, she's a bunch of nothing that they went out of their way to give a gender to fill some sort of token.

CRS

Also, if you ult a tunnel while it is getting destroyed, the ult wins.

My PBE name is ArchVngel. There's maintenance going on for about 20 minutes so RIP.

Initial thoughts:

well you need to build Devourer on her. Her ganks kinda suck so you need either a lot of damage in lanes or a lot off cc because in the early game she seriously lacks both of those. Her damage gets better as the game goes on. I think Hydra is a mandatory damage item and that's it. You can go tanky from then on.

Her cc just straight up blows. Like... her clear is pretty rough so you'll probably get Trailblazer but you could make a serious case for Stalker's Blade to get Chilling Smite. They should give her burrowed Q a slow or something because she doesn't bring nearly as much damage as someone like Nocturne and arguably has less cc and a worse clear.

Will need to run CDR in runes and masteries because otherwise the ult cooldown is still 2 minutes at rank 3. 3 minutes at rank one.

She has a lot of champion level scaling which is a little awkward.

Her ult is fun when it's up. Making tunnels is fun too and you can create some pretty interesting gank paths with them. The health regen in burrowed form is not great. It's like 25 health at level 1 or 2 which is pretty shitty honestly, and that's if you have full fury.

The burrowed Q kinda blows. It does magic damage and all it does is reveal. It's a pretty shitty skill. If they gave it AD scaling and made it a slow it would be ok.

I think overall she's pretty undertuned right now, but I need to play more to be definite about it.

i'm glad they didn't give her too much cc tbh

her mobility sounds kind of insane

it's ok. Like tunnels can get you over walls but being burrowed gives you like 15 or 20 flat MS. it's really not great. The ult cooldown is hella long. Like it doesn't feel like she does enough damage to make up for her lack of cc.

But like I said, one game so far. Will play more tomorrow.

CRS

When I can get back on PBE, going to check where I can hide my tunnels. I wonder if the length of the tunnels is longer than the length of a top side bush.

When I can get back on PBE, going to check where I can hide my tunnels. I wonder if the length of the tunnels is longer than the length of a top side bush.

pretty sure it is, if not it's super tight. You'd have to line it up perfectly. You could hide one in tri though, and at red buff brush and stuff.

You are wrong.

...what?

i was told that part of the reason the pay for heroes model was acceptable was that a lot of the champs were pigeon holed into certain things so you didnt need all of them to still a role

if this champ is so fundamentally different does that not leave the people who dont grind or pay real money behind if its not a free week for it?

CRS

pretty sure it is, if not it's super tight. You'd have to line it up perfectly. You could hide one in tri though, and at red buff brush and stuff.

Damn. I wish the tunnels didn't leave the ruptured ground in between the entrance and exit. Being able to put the entrance in one bush and the exit in an other would be so much fun. One could even put a tunnel in a bot bush.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's ok. Like tunnels can get you over walls but being burrowed gives you like 15 or 20 flat MS. it's really not great. The ult cooldown is hella long. Like it doesn't feel like she does enough damage to make up for her lack of cc.

But like I said, one game so far. Will play more tomorrow.
oh alright

and yea i was surprised too that her q didn't slow, slow on non-pass through line skillshot is like the most rito 2014 thing ever

i was told that part of the reason the pay for heroes model was acceptable was that a lot of the champs were pigeon holed into certain things so you didnt need all of them to still a role

if this champ is so fundamentally different does that not leave the people who dont grind or pay real money behind if its not a free week for it?

not really because the whole point is making champion select matter as little as possible

so if you like bought reksai you add something different that if you have amumu but it's not like if she picked reksai you need to have mr tomato who's her direct counter

stop applying silly doto logic where it doesn't fit!

Three tomatoes are walking down the street- a poppa tomato, a momma tomato, and a little baby tomato. Baby tomato starts lagging behind. Poppa tomato gets angry, goes over to the baby tomato, and smooshes him and says ketchup

If you don't own most if not all of the champs, you are at a disadvantage period.

It doesn't make sense to cripple the game so casual players can be at slightly less of a disadvantage.

And when you do have lots of really similar champs, you end up with situations we've seen throughout the game's history where there are a clear top three in every one of those roles.

Eternum Rak'Sai model viewer shots

sdsadsad.jpg

And here's Rak'Sai's voice (7:19)
Disappointing. This somehow succeeds in standing out even less than Nocturne's skin.

Santa hat for Baron in a new smaller PBE patch just pushed

also more balance changes:

Soraka

Base HP Regen per Second reduced to .4 from .9352
HP Regen Per Second Per Level reduced to .1 f rom .14
Astral Infusion (W) AP ratio for the heal for hitting enemy champion hit by Starcall increased to .6 from .4

Zac

Elastic Slingshot (E) damage increased to 80/130/180/230/280 from 80/120/160/200/240.

ZAC HYPE

Jax
Counter Strike [E] - Cooldown lowered to 16/14/12/10/8 (down from 18/16/14/12/10)
Grandmaster's Might [R] - Armor bonus is now 20/35/50 + 50% bonus attack damage (changed from 25/35/45 + 30%)
Grandmaster's Might [R] - Magic resistances bonus is now 20/35/50 + x% ability power (changed from 25/35/45 + 20%)

Shyvana
Burnout [W] - Now deals 20% more damage to monsters

ymnln80z2swf.gif

If you don't own most if not all of the champs, you are at a disadvantage period.

It doesn't make sense to cripple the game so casual players can be at slightly less of a disadvantage.

And when you do have lots of really similar champs, you end up with situations we've seen throughout the game's history where there are a clear top three in every one of those roles.
i dunno i think you shouldnt disadvantage anyone just because they have less hours than someone else

runes are the same
not really because the whole point is making champion select matter as little as possible

so if you like bought reksai you add something different that if you have amumu but it's not like if she picked reksai you need to have mr tomato who's her direct counter

stop applying silly doto logic where it doesn't fit!

doto logic is the only logic tho

Nekofrog

Banned
why buff Jax

we just got away from him

why riot

cause splitpushing is about to be super OP in the new season

you think a jax splitting was bad before, wait until he gets that elixir and has dragons under his belt and maybe a baron

straight up one shotting turrets

(not really but it'll be bad)

Bacon

I'm playing volibear jungle against a team of kalista, ashe, vayne, yi, and garen. Is thornmail a smart first buy after my jungle item?

zkylon

zkylewd
whoa whoa whoa, hold it

when does mr tomato come out
it's just an example -__-

i dunno i think you shouldnt disadvantage anyone just because they have less hours than someone else

runes are the same
true but this is a bigger problem in theory than it reality

if you're matched against someone with dozens of champions chances are you have played a similar amount of hours, so they'll have a similar amount of champions/runepages

like if you're serious about the game this ceases to be a problem since you just have more ip than you know what to do with. sure, you won't have everything, but you'll have enough

also we have all stockholm syndrome so buying champions feels like pokemon

doto logic is the only logic tho
i don't think anything doto is the "only"

Santa hat for Baron in a new smaller PBE patch just pushed
i'm excitement

why buff Jax

we just got away from him

why riot
yeah stop it

that's dumb

don't buff jax

jax is stupid

Nekofrog

Banned
zkylon you opened this pandoras box

now you have to learn how to design, code, model, and implement champions and get a job at riot to create mr. tomato

if you don't you are out of the family

CRS

Since it's impossible to start a PBE game, it would be nice if we had 5 people from GAF that wouldn't mind letting someone play the new champ. My PBE name is ArchVngel.

Second game felt much better. Ran AD reds, armour yellows, CDR blues, 1 CDR quint and 2 AS quints. 21/9/0 getting both AS and CDR.

Ganks still lack cc but I felt my damage spike come quicker and my clear a little easier. Getting ult down to 90 seconds at max rank was huge with 40% CDR.

if you're matched against someone with dozens of champions chances are you have played a similar amount of hours, so they'll have a similar amount of champions/runepages

like if you're serious about the game this ceases to be a problem since you just have more ip than you know what to do with. sure, you won't have everything, but you'll have enough

also we have all stockholm syndrome so buying champions feels like pokemon

i got matched with people in challenger once and i have like 30 games played

my ass they have the same amount of runes and champs as me

runes are the same

Disadvantage is unavoidable with the IP/RP system. I don't know what you mean by "runes are the same" because being able to afford what you need takes a lot of time as well.

Disadvantage is unavoidable with the IP/RP system. I don't know what you mean by "runes are the same" because being able to afford what you need takes a lot of time as well.

and it shouldnt be that way

the difference between you and a new player should be youre experienced and skilled and theyre not

not that you have +4% mana regen, +3% move speed, +50 attack, +200 health, +300 mana, more champs to counter them with strategically on top of having actually having the experience and knowledge of the game

i mean thats just dumb

i mean if im being honest im probably better than all people in bronze simply because i actually look at the minimap and know not to run into 5 heroes but for a really long time riot wouldnt even give me flash, the most essential fucking skill to actually play the game with. why? because i didnt grind their game like a free to play mobile app

Nekofrog

Banned
look you had one game against challenger players

i seriously doubt real newbs are facing challengers daily unless they're queuing up with challenger friends of their own

anomalies happen

get over it

look you had one game against challenger players

i seriously doubt real newbs are facing challengers daily unless they're queuing up with challenger friends of their own

anomalies happen

get over it

its a fundamental issue with the game

it takes how many hours and games to actually play the same game as anyone else?

why? because they dont care about balance for the casual player

i am at an undeniable disadvantage when i queue with friends simply because i havent played x amount of games or dont want to pay them money for heroes

its so dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom