• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lebron James Ethers Charles Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

Charles Barkley does seem super critical of everything whenever I saw him doing analysis.

Nothing against the guy as he's just doing his job, but he never even won an NBA Championship.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Lebron's team just lost to the shitty Mavs, should probably worry less about a talking head and more on all those turnovers lol

Losing to bad teams on its own isn't really a big issue, as even great teams have their down games. But Cleveland has lost to the Mavs, Kings, and Pelicans over the past week. It's one thing losing to the Spurs and the Warriors, but those other teams likely jockeying for lottery position? Having defensive issues against that level of competition is the real problem.

Lebron's team just lost to the shitty Mavs, should probably worry less about a talking head and more on all those turnovers lol

Hey come on now, we're not just shitty... we're underrated shitty.

Also I wonder how much LeBron hates Dirk and the Mavs lol. I know after 2011 he went on a massive crusade in kicking our ass but after last night? Getting beat by some kid named Yogi and Wal-Mart Curry? Man, that must've been the tipping point hence the ethering of Chuck lol.

bionic77

Wonder if Bron is playing the villain because he is getting ready to leave again?

Weird because he was beloved after bringing the Cavs the title and you would think he would try to keep that vibe as long as possible. The Warriors were supposed to be the villains this year but Lebron is acting like a spoiled baby these past few weeks as his team struggles.

It's weird.

Dre3001

Charles Barkley does seem super critical of everything whenever I saw him doing analysis.

Nothing against the guy as he's just doing his job, but he never even won an NBA Championship.

Is an NBA championship the end all be all of being able to give analysis?

Everyone keeps saying "oh but Barkley never won".

Yea? And?

Neither did Reggie Miller, Karl Malone, Dominique Wilkins, John Stockton, Allen Iverson, etc etc.

Barkley is still a hall of fame player who many regard as a top 15-20 player of all time. This isn't some bench player or scrub giving advice.

Hell, Kenny "Jet" smith sits next to Barkley on TNT and has 2 rings yet most wouldn't even consider him a top 50 player of all time. But I guess those rings makes him more qualified despite him being the 3rd/4th best player on those teams that won.

Chuck isn't wrong and this is Bron Bron's feels lashing out. If Tossing out personal low blows because he can't take BBall criticism is "ether", the you all can enjoy your high.

"We're not in a rivalry with GS" but then continues to publicly shit on his team (that he built) and ownership (who is already paying the most per year due to the team Bron built) because he sees the incoming L.

Most passive aggressive man baby ever

Losing to bad teams on its own isn't really a big issue, as even great teams have their down games. But Cleveland has lost to the Mavs, Kings, and Pelicans over the past week. It's one thing losing to the Spurs and the Warriors and the 76ers, but those other teams likely jockeying for lottery position? Having defensive issues against that level of competition is the real problem.

fixed :>

Toki767

Yea? And?

Neither did Reggie Miller, Karl Malone, Dominique Wilkins, John Stockton, Allen Iverson, etc etc.

Barkley is still a hall of fame player who many regard as a top 15-20 player of all time. This isn't some bench player or scrub giving advice.

Hell, Kenny "Jet" smith sits next to Barkley on TNT and has 2 rings yet most wouldn't even consider him a top 50 player of all time. But I guess those rings makes him more qualified despite him being the 3rd/4th best player on those teams that won.

You don't see those people constantly criticizing current players and how they're ruining the game though.

It seems to me that Barkley was going after LeBron basketball wise when it comes to the roster, while LeBron came at Barkley personally. I dislike Barkley, but what he said was true. No matter how good Westbrook, KD, or Curry have been playing recently, LeBron is still the best player in the world and complaining that he wants more key players is just silly to me.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Wow, crazy Lebron cited all that stuff. Amazing. Props for Lebron, I like Charles, but that's how you put another person in their place. I'm going to slow clap.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Chuck's not wrong, but I still feel like he had it coming. Now Lebron needs to just win. You've still got a decent roster, and you aren't getting more. Deal with it.

You don't see those people constantly criticizing current players and how they're ruining the game though.

Uhh yeah Reggie Miller makes money off of his commentary too.

Following this shity train of logic the only people who shoukd have authority to criticize Trump are past presidents.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Im no Lebron stan, but yikes. Threw Chuck into the dumpster

(I dont think Chuck was wrong at all. But he is still gonna hold this L)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Championships require a bit of luck too. Barkley came in with basically 4 of the greatest teams of all time in their prime. With the Lakers and Celtics in 80's, to Pistons and Bulls in 90's. In 19 years, only 3 were not won by those teams and 2 of them were won once MJ took a break.

Great point. Except in this example LeBron is the "great" team in their prime with the Heat and Cavs, so you'd think Chunk would sit back and try to understand that their perspectives on these things will always be different.

Chuck was going at the King in the 90s to win a ring. LeBron is the King. There's levels to this.

JABEE

Wonder if Bron is playing the villain because he is getting ready to leave again?

Weird because he was beloved after bringing the Cavs the title and you would think he would try to keep that vibe as long as possible. The Warriors were supposed to be the villains this year but Lebron is acting like a spoiled baby these past few weeks as his team struggles.

It's weird.

Lebron may see a chance to build a better team elsewhere. All good GMs do the same.

BadAss2961

Chuck's not wrong, but I still feel like he had it coming. Now Lebron needs to just win. You've still got a decent roster, and you aren't getting more. Deal with it.
They don't just have a decent roster, they have the best roster other than one team over in the other conference. They're top heavy, but that's a super team for you. Miami was the same thing.

Golden State is the only exception since they drafted a core that panned out in spades then added KD. Steph still isn't getting paid.

Wow, crazy Lebron cited all that stuff. Amazing. Props for Lebron, I like Charles, but that's how you put another person in their place. I'm going to slow clap.
Not really. It's called a deflection and when you do that it means that the other person is right and you have no reasonable response to the issue at hand.

rambis

Banned

It's weird.
Asking for a point guard when you have you the likes of Shumpert and Dleaguers is "playing the villian". Never knew.

Ashhong

Dying of laughter at chuck hating on San Antonio and showing how they eat churros hahaha. He and LB can keep going at it, it's good entertainment.

qcf x2

It's not ether when you do it out of insecurity. The quotes have Barkley calling him the best player in the world and amazing and crediting him for his accomplishments. But he's a "hater" ?

Also, dude is still hung up on the posse thing? Emotional isn't even the word. He absolutely IS being ridiculous when he makes public demands of his GM who has been pushed into a logistical corner in large part due to silly demands by who? Lebron. We must re-sign JR Smith! Tristan needs a max extension! But he's not the GM, he's just the "new sheriff in town" lol. Make water into wine and squeeze blood from a stone, NOW! ...so sayeth Lebron.

Saying all of that, I have stood up for Lebron for most of his career, LeDecision aside. But a duck is a duck and he's clearly letting some sort of outside (of basketball) issue affect his demeanor this year. Here I thought Steph was the softest superstar.

FZZ

Banned

It's weird.

Imagine acting as your teams leader, primary playmaker, and putting in more minutes than anyone else when you play a game with your team

Dude is obviously frustrated he has to effectively be the Cavs PG and SF at the same time and just wants someone else to help alleviate the stress when he's not on the court, the Cavs have lost every game without him this season I think. Or they just won one or two.

His bbiq is higher than anyone else in the league, must be annoying to have no one think on your wavelength about plays and then you get blamed for everything when the team fails.

It's not ether when you do it out of insecurity. The quotes have Barkley calling him the best player in the world and amazing and crediting him for his accomplishments. But he's a "hater" ?

Also, dude is still hung up on the posse thing? Emotional isn't even the word. He absolutely IS being ridiculous when he makes public demands of his GM who has been pushed into a logistical corner in large part due to silly demands by who? Lebron. We must re-sign JR Smith! Tristan needs a max extension! But he's not the GM, he's just the "new sheriff in town" lol. Make water into wine and squeeze blood from a stone, NOW! ...so sayeth Lebron.

Saying all of that, I have stood up for Lebron for most of his career, LeDecision aside. But a duck is a duck and he's clearly letting some sort of outside (of basketball) issue affect his demeanor this year. Here I thought Steph was the softest superstar.

Barkley has Kobe above Bron in his top 5

That shit is beyond asinine

Don't know why 90s Basketball GAF out here defending the donut king

It's not ether when you do it out of insecurity.

I don't think LeBron James lacks in security, credibility or self-esteem.

He hasn't said anything about Chuck despite Chuck prodding him for well over a decade and at every opportunity. This was simply a more elongated way to say, "shut the fuck up" without running into FCC violations and fines.

Not every idiot is worth arguing against. After all the reasons have been outlined, if someone still wants to say dumb shit, I see no actual issue with reminding them what their qualifications and history really are.

It's just...I'd rather he not take the bait because the haters and fanboys will line up accordingly.

FWIW, if you're ever on Chuck's side of an argument, you're probably on the wrong side of the argument.

That rant came off as childish on Lebron's part. He is supposed to be the face of the league. Barkley's called the Warriors midgets for five years now and said he will never respect their brand of basketball. You don't see anyone else from that organization taking cheap shots about Barkley as a human being.

mckmas8808

Sometimes Chuck can be really bad at his job. Saying Lebron doesn't want to compete for a championship is one of those stupid things Chuck said.

The same? Him and the crew always do topics like this and analyze personalities. It's one of the more interesting subjects of the NBA.

And while analyzing personalities, sometimes people like Chuck need to be "checked" every once and awhile. Don't live in your glass house throwing stones.

FZZ

Banned
That rant came off as childish on Lebron's part. He is supposed to be the face of the league. Barkley's called the Warriors midgets for five years now and said he will never respect their brand of basketball. You don't see anyone else from that organization taking cheap shots about Barkley as a human being.

Legit only lebron is held to these standards of upholding the leagues image and people still complain

He does and has done an excellent job of representing himself and the league let the dude defend himself for the metric ton of shit he gets on a daily basis

qcf x2

I don't think LeBron James lacks in security, credibility or self-esteem.

He hasn't said anything about Chuck despite Chuck prodding him for well over a decade and at every opportunity. This was simply a more elongated way to say, "shut the fuck up" without running into FCC violations and fines.

Not every idiot is worth arguing against. After all the reasons have been outlined, if someone still wants to say dumb shit, I see no actual issue with reminding them what their qualifications and history really are.

It's just...I'd rather he not take the bait because the haters and fanboys will line up accordingly.

FWIW, if you're ever on Chuck's side of an argument, you're probably on the wrong side of the argument.

Barkley is an entertainer, as is Shaq. And sure, the Cavs would look a lot better with a solid backup PG. But that doesn't mean LeBron is in the right to publicly demand that his GM pull a rabbit out of a hat. Nobody wants to hear that.

Yea? And?

Barkley is bitching about Lebron always and his desires to get rings. Barkley couldnt even win a ring, what the fuck does he know about what it takes to reach that level? He never did it. So when he is doing his higher than thou shit about new players it gets old. Like you're a loser. You never knew how to get it done, stop constantly criticizing someone who does.

Chuck doesnt fucking know anything about basketball. I wish people would stop perpetuatimg that because he is funny he is worth taking seriously. He isnt. The guy needs to be put in place sometimes.

mckmas8808

Chuck isn't wrong and this is Bron Bron's feels lashing out. If Tossing out personal low blows because he can't take BBall criticism is "ether", the you all can enjoy your high.

"We're not in a rivalry with GS" but then continues to publicly shit on his team (that he built) and ownership (who is already paying the most per year due to the team Bron built) because he sees the incoming L.

Most passive aggressive man baby ever

This is when you know someone doesn't actually watch basketball lol.

mckmas8808

Im no Lebron stan, but yikes. Threw Chuck into the dumpster

(I dont think Chuck was wrong at all. But he is still gonna hold this L)

He was wrong when he said Lebron doesn't want to compete for a championship. Do you watch NBA basketball?

Barkley is an entertainer, as is Shaq. And sure, the Cavs would look a lot better with a solid backup PG. But that doesn't mean LeBron is in the right to publicly demand that his GM pull a rabbit out of a hat. Nobody wants to hear that.

Whatever encourages the phone calls to be made means LBJ played his cards right. It's not about what you feel the correct way of doing things is; it's about getting shit done. If LBJ believes the front office isn't hustling on this issue and that him strategically voicing his concerns to the media will further motivate the powers that be to make one extra phone call that night, it was WORTH. Welcome to politics 101.

I don't see the problem at all. These are grown ass men, not kids. All highly paid, I might add.

rambis

Banned
The same? Him and the crew always do topics like this and analyze personalities. It's one of the more interesting subjects of the NBA.
It really isnt. Its mostly baseless drivel. Bro-phsycology ia probably the worse thing to develop in sports broadcasting. I dont know why every tom dick and harry wants to now pretend like they actually know how people they never meet think but its corny to the nth degree. People should stick to reading box scores.

mckmas8808

Let me guess.....you love Barkley for being an A-Hole in those times huh?

It's weird.

Stop wondering. He agreed to a 3 year deal in the offseason.

As for the vibe, he wants to keep winning. Yes, the Cavs re-signed all the players LeBron wanted. Thompson and JR Smith got paid. Shumpert, too. In the meanwhile, they lost front court depth with Mozgov and backcourt depth with Delly and Mo Williams (whose retirement was apparently not expected). It is therefore fair to an extent to say that this is LeBron's chosen roster, but it's not completely fair to lay it all on him.

They have an open roster spot, and they have holes to fill. Yes, they're over the cap, but they have trade exceptions. It's not unreasonable for a player, particularly one of LeBron's stature, to say "plug the holes," and the luxury tax isn't his problem.

I'm going to side against Barkley on this one. He's still my favorite "analyst," though.

Legit only lebron is held to these standards of upholding the leagues image and people still complain

He does and has done an excellent job of representing himself and the league let the dude defend himself for the metric ton of shit he gets on a daily basis

Taking a cheap shot at a ex-players personal life is defending himself?

kmfdmpig

Yea? And?

I agree. Robert Horry has more rings than Jordan, Kareem, and Magic, but obviously is not 1/4 the player that they are. Rings are great, but with basketball players and QBs there is too much focus on winning it all, which in a team sport is not something that an individual player has ultimate control over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom