• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole |OT| The Owl Sim Genre Starts Now

Chipopo

Banned
2l8ww10.jpg

Developer:

Krome Studios (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii)
Tantalus Media (NDS)

Publisher: Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

Release Date:

NA - September 14, 2010
EU - September 2010
AU - September 29, 2010

Platforms:

PS3 / 360 / Wii / NDS

What's it about?

It's the game adaptation of the upcoming Zach Snyder / Animal Logic movie about talking owls and the battle between good and evil. It's basically World War II but everyone's an owl? Or something. Anyway the movie is based on a series of young adult books that are apparently a hoot to read. Ha. Anyway the game isn't just a retelling of the movie story - the characters and plot intertwine with the movie so you get to see key moments told from a different point of view.

The gameplay has you flying as an owl, exploring huge outdoor environments, fighting other flying creatures and taking part in large scale dogfights (owlfights?). You can hit enemies with your talons, barge them with your head or even pick up and throw them into the environments. Not an ASPCA-approved game.

Why would I even want to look at this game with Reach out on the same day?

It was developed by a fellow NeoGAFer, who going by the developer should tip you off. Support your fellow GAF developers so they too may come home with a belly full of food and a house free of mortgage in this time of economic troubles.

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCIWfhy6GeM - Trailer
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-legend-of/700141 - Shaky-cam E3 footage

Screens:

(360/PS3)

25spqif.jpg
3478b5f.jpg
2n7nn85.jpg

(Wii)

legend-of-the-guardians-the-owls-of-gahoole-20100616114452235.jpg
legend-of-the-guardians-the-owls-of-gahoole-20100616114455516.jpg

More screens here

Achievements / Trophies:

Some of them are pretty funny

How does the Wii version control?

The Wii version is controlled with just the Wiimote, and you hold it in 'classic' fashion (like NSMB Wii). You then tilt the controller to make your owl dive, climb and bank. The buttons activate speed, special moves and firing off wingmen etc.

How does the 360/PS3 version control?

Your basic flight is mapped to the left stick, while more advanced techniques can be performed with simple flicks on the right stick, such as moving left and right to do a barrel roll, or pulling back to do quick 180. You can also lock on to enemies and hit the face button to shoot projectiles and counter enemy attacks.

"Legend of the Guardians is a game that combines the aggressive clash of razor sharp talons with the grace and beauty of flying through some of the most serene vistas in Wii since Monster Hunter's glorious picture postcard scenery" -- "With no Wii Pilotwings in sight this could well be the best bit of flying action on Wii" - Official Australian Nintendo Magazine

"Legends of the Guardians strikes us as a competent flight combat game for kids, with a friendly ornithological world in place of the usual fighter jets."

Fine fine, but what about a demo?

Xbox 360 demo goes up September 6, and the PS3 demo goes up September 8. Enjoy!

Whenever I saw the trailer for the movie, I'd laugh because of how epic they made everything out to be. It's like, dude, owls -- serious business. Actually never knew there was a videogame based on the film till this OT. Thanks. I'll check it out!

Larson Conway said:
Whenever I saw the trailer for the movie, I'd laugh because of how epic they made everything out to be. It's like, dude, owls -- serious business. Actually never knew there was a videogame based on the film till this OT. Thanks. I'll check it out!
I really want to see the movie.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Nemesis556 said:
Not so sure about this. =/

I demo is coming out today on the 360. Personally, I'm interested; I've always believed my inner fursona was an Owl.

I'd play this just to fly around as a bird at sunset. Add some weed, godspeed you!! black emperor, and you have a good chillout game.

Nemesis_

Jinfash said:
I demo is coming out today on the 360. Personally, I'm interested; I've always believed my inner fursona was an Owl.

Oh, I will definitely try the demo. The movie interests me, so I will see how I go with the game.

Gonna be really honest though and say the only Krome game I've ever liked was Scene It? 2

Gazunta

Ha, I was waiting for someone to mention Agony on the Amiga :) I would say though that Agony isn't really an owl sim though. :)

Anyway, I endorse this event or product. OK guys, I spent over two years of my life on this game, let me know what you think! Any questions just shoot.

Demo should be up in a couple of hours!

Amir0x

Banned
Chipopo said:
Why would I even want to look at this game with Reach out on the same day?

It was developed by a fellow NeoGAFer, who going by the developer should tip you off. Support your fellow GAF developers so they too may come home with a belly full of food and a house free of mortgage in this time of economic troubles.

Shouldn't we support GAF developers only if they make something good, not "just to do it"? I don't know about you but nepotism is lame.

Is there some gameplay related reason I should look at this? It looks and sounds kiiinda not fun.

I have a lot of disposable income so tell me why this isn't just crappy licensed shovelware.

Chipopo

Banned
Amir0x said:
Shouldn't we support GAF developers only if they make something good, not "just to do it"? I don't know about you but nepotism is lame.

Is there some gameplay related reason I should look at this? It looks and sounds kiiinda not fun.

I have a lot of disposable income so tell me why this isn't just crappy licensed shovelware.

You can gather the fundamentals of the gameplay from the op, and as Gazunta pointed out, the demo is just about to be released. Even if you're ambivalent about putting down that much cash for an anonymous member of the community, you can at least give a demo you might have otherwise passed up a few minutes of your time.

FrostuTheNinja said:
Agony returns. I hope you can unlock lasers and chain guns to equip your owl.

Owls need commando and steady aim, also going to bling my owl so he can use thermal and FMJ.

Nemesis_

Mar said:
Even from Amir0x I'm surprised at this one.

Well, let's be realistic. If I knew someone who worked at every single development company, doesn't make every single game good. =/

Also, I just realised I loved Party Animals. Another cool Krome game. >_>

But what the fuck are they thinking releasing this on the same day as Reach?

Also, why not in Australia first? I've always wondered why Australian developed games are released elsewhere first.

Legend of the Guardians is rated E10+ and is based on a PG-rated children's movie which is in turn based on a children's book series. Frankly I'm surprised they went for a 10+ rating considering the books are read by kids in grade 3 and 4, which would put some of them under 10.

Halo:Reach is rated M. It's two totally different market segments. While games geared to kids won't do as well as Halo games, you're not going to find too many parents where this choice is an issue.

Nemesis_

someguyinahat said:
Legend of the Guardians is rated E10+ and is based on a PG-rated children's movie which is in turn based on a children's book series. Frankly I'm surprised they went for a 10+ rating considering the books are read by kids in grade 3 and 4, which would put some of them under 10.

Halo:Reach is rated M. It's two totally different market segments. While games geared to kids won't do as well as Halo games, you're not going to find too many parents where this choice is an issue.

Well I am interested in both (though a bit more skeptical about this) and I HAVE THIS DILEMMA.

I dunno, I realise and acknowledge they're different audiences but I feel that a launch as big as this, things are bound to be forgotten

bubnbob

Banned
Depending where you get Halo from, you will probably get a gift card. You can use that and get Guardians for cheaper. :D

* May only apply to the US

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Amir0x said:
try the demo and decide for yourself.

Nemesis556 said:
when you say "they" i hope you are not referring to Krome. developers rarely have any say on the circumstances of how/where/when games they've developed for publishers get released.

Nemesis556 said:
Also, why not in Australia first? I've always wondered why Australian developed games are released elsewhere first.
same reason mentioned above.

Platy

Nemesis556 said:

A friend of mine works at Southlogic Studios, wich made some games of the Deer Hunter series.
Being a very specific niche game about people who hunt ... it was never released here in Brazil.

Gazunta

Just a quick heads up the 360 demo is now scheduled for the 8th, the same day as the PS3 one. Hoorah for equality, etc.

Amir0x

Banned
Chipopo said:
You can gather the fundamentals of the gameplay from the op, and as Gazunta pointed out, the demo is just about to be released. Even if you're ambivalent about putting down that much cash for an anonymous member of the community, you can at least give a demo you might have otherwise passed up a few minutes of your time.

Well I could have got the gameplay details from any fact sheet, I wanted to know the meat of it. Is the gameplay actually good, is there something about this title that is special and deserving of my attention?

Anyway, I will try out the demo, but the first response to a thread saying we should buy something just because someone we know made it is kinda of reflexively going to be "nepotism is bad for the community, and so is the game actually not shitty?"

If I made something, I would hope people didn't just buy it because they know me. I hope they would find something interesting about it and that the product would, ya know, be good.

Nemesis_

Scrow said:
when you say "they" i hope you are not referring to Krome. developers rarely have any say on the circumstances of how/where/when games they've developed for publishers get released.

I'm not stupid. >_>

AzBat

Ooops. Thought I came into a thread about...

the20guardian20legend.jpg

at least it got me interested in the demo and the movie. Didn't know Krome was doing it, I liked VP PA, SI BOS & Game Room.

Chipopo

Banned
Amir0x said:
Well I could have got the gameplay details from any fact sheet, I wanted to know the meat of it. Is the gameplay actually good, is there something about this title that is special and deserving of my attention?

Anyway, I will try out the demo, but the first response to a thread saying we should buy something just because someone we know made it is kinda of reflexively going to be "nepotism is bad for the community, and so is the game actually not shitty?"

If I made something, I would hope people didn't just buy it because they know me. I hope they would find something interesting about it and that the product would, ya know, be good.

ohmygosh. The question was whether you should take a look at the game with Halo being released on the same day. The thread is trying to give a less visible game some exposure. I'm glad you've taken the time to explain that you don't like to purchase products that you're uninterested in though, that's something that really needs to be spelled out to all of us here on NeoGaf.

The demo seemed alright. The air combat felt unique and the controls were good. I liked how the button prompts were handled. Of the two animal flying game demos I played in the past five years, this was far more enjoyable than Lair.

One odd thing is that rumble was turned off by default and the vertical axis wasn't reversed (meaning up was up, down was down). Just struck me as odd since it is a flying game. But owls aren't planes and I shouldn't have went in with that preconception.

bon

Amir0x said:
It's about owls!

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Linkzg said:
One odd thing is that rumble was turned off by default and the vertical axis wasn't reversed (meaning up was up, down was down).

But the option is there right? I can't abide by this non-reversed vertical axis poppycock!

Gazunta

BreakyBoy said:
But the option is there right? I can't abide by this non-reversed vertical axis poppycock!
Yeah, it's definitely there. We had a billion and one 'polite discussions' about which one should be default. :)

Gazunta

If anyone's having an issue with the PS3 demo, make sure there's no disc in the machine before starting. (Thanks to the folks on the Gamespot forums for finding that one!)

ElFly

Gazunta said:
If anyone's having an issue with the PS3 demo, make sure there's no disc in the machine before starting. (Thanks to the folks on the Gamespot forums for finding that one!)

I came here to whine about this.

Thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom