• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Announcement: 70620 NINJAGO City

ghostmind

Lut6uvJr.jpg

Enjoy endless role-play fun in NINJAGO® City, a hugely-detailed 3-level model connected by a sliding elevator. Level 1 features a traditional fish market, house, a bridge over a stream, and a fishing boat. The second level has a modern fashion store, comic book store, crab restaurant with ‘crab-grilling' function and cash-dispensing ATM. The vertical city is topped off with Lloyd Garmadon and Misako's apartment, a rooftop sushi bar with sushi conveyor belt, and a radio tower. This action-packed THE LEGO® NINJAGO MOVIE™ set also includes 16 minifigures and Sweep the maintenance robot.

• Includes 16 minifigures: Jay, Kai and Lloyd Garmadon (each with new-for-August-2017 high school outfit decoration), Green Ninja Suit, Misako, Jamanakai Villager, Sally, Ivy Walker, Konrad, Severin Black, Tommy, Guy, Juno, Mother Doomsday, Shark Army Gunner and Officer Noonan, plus Sweep the maintenance robot.
• Features a 3-level model (each level lifts off for easy play) connected by a sliding elevator, plus a traditional fishing boat.
• Level 1 features a bridge, sewer outlet, stream with translucent-blue and translucent-green water elements, sliding elevator with room for a minifigure, traditional fish market with fish and crab elements, house with dining room and bedroom with sliding screen doors and foldout ‘solar panels', Sweep the maintenance robot's service station with assorted tool elements, and a taxi stand with telephone element.
• Level 2 features a modern fashion store with 2 mannequins and assorted NINJAGO® product elements, a construction site with a bonsai tree, a comic book store with brick-built sign, cashier desk, comic book stand with assorted elements including collectible NINJAGO training cards, a crab restaurant with brick-built crab entrance sign and oven with ‘crab-grilling' function, a cash-dispensing ATM, 15 bank note elements (ATM can dispense up to 13), and a movie poster display stand with 4 interchangeable movie poster elements.
• Place the uncooked crab element in the oven, turn the dial and open the oven to reveal a cooked crab element.
• Press the handle behind the ATM to dispense bank note elements.
• Level 3 features a radio tower, modern rooftop sushi bar with sushi conveyor belt function and brick-built food, bathroom with sliding door, and brick-built puffer fish and squid sculptures, Lloyd Garmadon and Misako's apartment with an opening window, bunk bed, kitchen unit and attic space for the Green Ninja Suit minifigure.
• Turn the dial to activate the sushi conveyor belt.
• Weapons include Jay's chain with spike and Shark Army Gunner's fish flame.
• Recreate and role-play exciting THE LEGO® NINJAGO® MOVIE™ scenes.
• NINJAGO® City measures over 24" (63cm) high, 12" (31cm) wide and 16" (42cm) deep.
• Traditional fishing boat measures over 1" (4cm) high, 3" (10cm) long and 1" (3cm) wide.

$299.99

September 1st availability

Third largest set ever produced by LEGO (UCS Millennium Falcon and Taj Mahal have more pieces)

Woorloog

Banned
In before "man, LEGO is expensive."

For the record for people who do indeed think this is expensive (ignoring that it is indeed a big set and therefore expensive), this has price per piece ratio of 0.06, or 6 cents per piece. As Lego sets go, that is awesome price, the Saturn V had basically equal price per piece ratio.

For comparison, 10 cents per piece is regarded as average, and licensed sets like Star Wars sets are usually more expensive.

uhhh I've been out of the LEGO game for a bit but $299 is like an amazing value for this, isn't it?

6 cents per piece. Very good value.

Draxal

In before "man, LEGO is expensive."

To be honest, I do think this is kinda frustrating as Ninjago is a kids theme that is targeted for kids (and not a tweener like superheroes + star wars where they are also made for .... AFOL). I could see a kid and parent saving up for a $120 sets like the older playsets or Destiny's Bounty, but this is alot.

mclem

To be honest, I do think this is kinda frustrating as Ninjago is a kids theme that is targeted for kids (and not a tweener like superheroes + star wars where they are also made for .... AFOL). I could see a kid and parent saving up for a $100 sets like the older playsets, but this is alot.

To be fair, Ninjago has already had one stand-out large set that's perhaps more pitched at the AFOL than the usual audience in the Temple of Airjitzu. I think it's another brand that Lego sees as bridging the market

I guess part of that is the fact that the whole oriental style is inherently appealing in and of itself, and that's not really catered for within the other subbrands.

teeny

Holy Moly, what's it's footprint!? I wonder if you could tweak it and modularise it, would look awesome in that lineup.

Never going to be able to afford this, though. I think I'll be content if I can just afford the Saturn V this year.

mclem

Holy Moly, what's it's footprint!? I wonder if you could tweak it and modularise it, would look awesome in that lineup.

Never going to be able to afford this, though. I think I'll be content if I can just afford the Saturn V this year.

I think an interesting issue with modularising it is getting visual consistency from the 'canals' here to the 'roads' attached to the existing modulars, particularly given that - if I'm reading the images correctly - there's a big pool at the back, too.

Ripenen

Looks neat but I prefer the Temple of Airjitzu. It has a more cohesive look without things like a sushi bar and comic store.

maxresdefault.jpg

DonShula

Amazing. Luckily for my wallet, neither myself nor my kids are particularly invested in the theme. We'll see the movie, but I don't see purchasing this.

Still, the entire line from the movie is amazing. The ship would have made a fine crown jewel, but this thing is next-level crazy.

ghostmind

And for anyone hesitating because this is one of LEGO's own themes, note that another Ninjago set, the Temple of Airjitzu, is arguably the best set of 2015:

This set has been discontinued by LEGO, so get it while you still can from your retailer of choice.

EDIT: Ripenen with the Temple of Airjitzu mention - I think each of these sets represents a different influence - the Temple with a more traditional classic look, while they City is a modern/futuristic representation.

mclem

And for anyone hesitating because this is one of LEGO's own themes, note that another Ninjago set, the Temple of Airjitzu, is arguably the best set of 2015:

Th7ye2j.jpg

I don't know if it's that Airjitzu does a lot with very little, or if it's that the City has a lot of interior detail, but Airjitzu doesn't look like it has less than half the bricks of the City.

Edit: Just seen that the press release has been added, which I guess staves off my next question about mechanical elements! Airjitzu had a lovely shadow puppet thing.

• Place the uncooked crab element in the oven, turn the dial and open the oven to reveal a cooked crab element.
• Press the handle behind the ATM to dispense bank note elements.
• Turn the dial to activate the sushi conveyor belt.

ghostmind

I don't know if it's that Airjitzu does a lot with very little, or if it's that the City has a lot of interior detail, but Airjitzu doesn't look like it has less than half the bricks of the City.

Edit: Just seen that the press release has been added, which I guess staves off my next question about mechanical elements!

Airjitzu has an open back, while City is enclosed like a traditional modular, so I think that's where a lot of pieces are being used.

Woorloog

Banned
The water is made from a lot of smaller pieces. And the roof. And presumably other things as well (some of the windows look like they're complex constructions).

teeny

I think an interesting issue with modularising it is getting visual consistency from the 'canals' here to the 'roads' attached to the existing modulars, particularly given that - if I'm reading the images correctly - there's a big pool at the back, too.

True, though I used brick built roads rather than the plates you can buy, so I should be able to think of something creative... Like putting a park on that corner or something. It looks like it has the technic pin pieces required at the right distance, at least. Man, I hope I can pick this up. I'm behind on the modulars too! Lego just want all of my money...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is there a reason there is a giant pig floating through the city on the box's cover? Maybe Lego are Pink Floyd fans?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Does it connect to modular houses? I feel the concept is slightly weird - I was under the impression that Ninjago is a young kids' (sub 10yo) property, through and through.

It looks fantastic though.

kapowza

Trying to think of a way to cut out a chunk of my modular street shelf or or suspend the whole thing so that the river part can sit below street level. Back soon.

Does it connect to modular houses? I feel the concept is slightly weird - I was under the impression that Ninjago is a young kids' (sub 10yo) property, through and through.

It looks fantastic though.

I don't think so. The set is built on plates, it seems, and the modulars are built on traditional baseplates, so this will sit a little bit off the ground. Although you could probably modify it to fit.

Busty

Banned
I have a fantasy where I have a house with a room, with a big table and a comfy chair, dedicated to something like this and nothing else.

I am able to easily make time in my week to spend a couple of hours on this here and there, really enjoy piecing it together.

Seriously, I'd love that. How long would it take to build something like this as good as it can be? Ten, twelve hours? More?

akileese

uhhh I've been out of the LEGO game for a bit but $299 is like an amazing value for this, isn't it?

IIRC, it's bigger than the Death Star and $200 less. I paid the same price for the Lego Technics Porsche which is 1000 pieces (give or take) less. So yeah, really insane value.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I don't give a shit about Ninjago (or most "play" sets in general), but damn this is fantastic. Bit too comic-y and bright for a Blade-Runner style set, but pretty close.

Top Bottom