• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Harry Potter: Years 5–7 |OT| It All Ends Here

CyReN

EQeXC.png

Information:
Developer: Traveller's Tales
Publisher: Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Distributor: Time Warner
Platforms: Xbox 360, PS3, PSP, PSVita, Wii, NDS, 3DS, Win, iOS
Release Date: NA November 11, 2011 | EU November 18, 2011​

46aMT.jpg
1i6W8.jpg
2qClv.jpg
Te3GM.jpg
EY46C.jpg

Summary
Based on the last three Harry Potter books and final four films, LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 takes players through Harry Potter's heroic adventures in the Muggle and wizarding worlds. From Privet Drive in Little Whinging to Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade and Hogwarts - plus new locations including Grimmauld Place, the Ministry of Magic, and Godric's Hollow - players will encounter new faces, new challenges and new magic, preparing them for the ultimate face-off against Lord Voldemort.

Features:
  • Play through 24 story events and return to Hogwarts where there are 16 different lessons to attend
  • Learn and use all new charms and spells including the 'Unforgivable Curses'
  • Master advanced dueling skills to defeat Voldemort's Death Eaters as you battle toward the ultimate showdown with the Dark Lord himself
  • Discover and unlock over 80 characters including, Fenrir Greyback, Bellatrix Lestrange and Professor Horace Slughorn
  • Play with friends and family using easy drop-in/dropout co-op play that features dynamic split screen

Screens:

Hope everyone excited for it, my first OT. Just something simple, hope everyone enjoys the game.

I was almost shocked when I started actually playing the Tale of the Three Brothers sequence. That was an amazing surprise.

CyReN

Not sure to put this in the OP or not but in the recent Walmart Holiday ad they have it for $29.96

FNn73l.jpg

Credit to akir from cag.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm looking forward to this, but I still need to buy the first one. Does anyone know if there are plans for a collection of them both?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Me and my girlfriend had fun playing the first one together. Should be good doing the same with this.

Pooya

I like first one a lot but yeah, I'll wait for 1-7 with extra stuff they will surely release next year, so much on my plate right now.

If you buy the final movie at Best Buy with this game you save $20. That's a good option for those who can't get the Walmart option to work.

Cheska

Stormwatch said:
If you buy the final movie at Best Buy with this game you save $20. That's a good option for those who can't get the Walmart option to work.

Was just about to post this. I'm such a sucker for the Lego games, and being that I'm a nut for Harry Potter this is a no brainer purchase.

I might buy this. I really enjoyed the demo, and I don't think I've ever got a Lego game, or since the last consoles at least. The old timey section of the demo was pretty fantastic, and completely different from what I expected from a lego game, especially a harry potter one.

One thing I love is the music, especially in the part I mentioned above. Really mysterious sounding.

Supa

The English Conquistador said:
I might buy this. I really enjoyed the demo, and I don't think I've ever got a Lego game, or since the last consoles at least. The old timey section of the demo was pretty fantastic, and completely different from what I expected from a lego game, especially a harry potter one.

One thing I love is the music, especially in the part I mentioned above. Really mysterious sounding.

I highly recommend first picking up Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4. Might seem obvious, but you made it sound like you were about to buy the sequel. Both games have their odd glitches, but considering how funny the cutscenes are in both games, you'd be doing yourself a favor by doubling the fun and picking up the first one for cheap and you can check out Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7 walkthrough videos if you want to proof how they both follow the movies exactly. Let's just say the Lego take on things is often so ridiculous you'll laugh out loud. :)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I've been playing this for work (I'm reviewing it for IGN). About to finish year 7 Pt. 1.

Not really sure what to say about it, though. It's Lego! Feels like all the other games. I will say that I loooooved years 1-4, but I've not been quite as wild about 5-7, but only because the "newness" of having such a rich hub to explore has worn off. It's not TT's fault that Hogwarts is re-used... the fiction demands it. But it still adds to the feeling that you're playing the second part of the same game, as opposed to a brand new game.

The magic-based world of HP is a crazy good fit for the lego formula, though. It makes a ton of sense to see the characters assembling things, things floating through the air, etc. With some other licenses it just feels weird.

I will pick this up eventually, as in some time next year. I enjoyed 1-4 but too many other titles to play first.

Are the graphics at all improved from years 1-4?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Beat it. There is a HUGE amount of stuff to do post-game. TT built very large, detailed portions of the castle that are never visited during the main quest. Although to be fair, several are reused from years 1-4. Off the top of my head:

- Quidditch Field
- Herbalism Classroom & outdoor area
- Divination classroom
- Observatory
- Upstairs library/attic room

I've never played any Lego games much after beating them (I normally co-op them with my wife then we move on), so I can't say if it's more/less than the other titles. But it's nice that there's a lot more to do than just go through the 24 stages a second time in Freeplay.

uchihasasuke said:
if it can't fit a wii disc, it can't fit a 360 disc either (both discs are the same size at max)

yeah and the 360 one probably takes up way more space as well with those higher res textures and what not hmmm

TheBaldEmperor said:
Anyone know how the 3DS game turned out? Does it have the same content as the non-handheld versions?
I can't vouch for this game, but I was disappointed with the 3DS version of LEGO Pirates. I think it was a a slightly upgraded port from the PSP version. I believe it was missing an entire level out of each movie and it included abridged versions of the console versions cutscenes. The 3D was very underwhelming as well. On full 3D you could hardly tell it was on. There were also areas where the frame-rate would take a noticable hit with the 3D on.

I always thought these games would be perfect if they got decent handheld versions. I really enjoyed the complete series Star Wars game for the DS.

I'm hoping for an improvement with this game since Pirates came out not long after the 3DS's launch. Even if it is a large improvement I think I may just get the PC version since it will likely cost the same if not cheaper. Ever since they started having actually impressive graphics (Lego Star Wars 3 is fantastic), I've wanted the console version more than the handheld ones.

Rodney McKay said:
I can't vouch for this game, but I was disappointed with the 3DS version of LEGO Pirates.

So was I. I really liked the Clone Wars on 3DS and I'm not sure why Lego Pirates turned out the way it did.

Rekubot

Years 1-4 is one of the few games I've ever achieved 100% on, it was really addictive. I'll definitely pick up the Steam version at some point.

MAtgS

Rodney McKay said:
I can't vouch for this game, but I was disappointed with the 3DS version of LEGO Pirates. I think it was a a slightly upgraded port from the PSP version.
Both the PSP & 3DS versions of CW & PotC were upscaled DS versions.

Seriously.

MAtgS said:
Both the PSP & 3DS versions of CW & PotC were upscaled DS versions.

Seriously.
Gat Damn, seriously?! Looking up youtube footage you are absolutely correct. I swear that they said the 3DS version was going to be the same as the Wii version at some point.

They run out of cart space or something? That might explain why they had cutscenes from the console version except for the final movie where it switch to awful in-game pre-rendered cutscenes.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Completed 1-4 100% today and got the platinum trophy, havent done that for agessssssssss. Got 5-7 coming soon, guess I'll have to play MW3 for a bit longer.

Did anyone hear that the PC version got recalled?

I was browsing Amazon and saw that the PC version only had 1 star with 5 reviews or so. Apparently the disc version wasn't running properly, maybe due to the secuROM in the game.

I haven't been able to find any more details other than a facebook post from WB about it that I found on the Steam forums:

Due to a problem in manufacturing, we have recalled the PC version of LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7. The proper version of the game will be available in stores beginning November 18.

If you are experiencing issues with a PC copy of LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7, please email support@wbgames.com for instructions on having the game replaced per our Limited Warranty policy.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

I wasn't going to get it until it came to Steam, but this is still a bummer for the people that paid for the retail version. If it was secuROM that messed it up then it's another wonderful example of DRM hurting the paying customers.

leng jai

Picked the PC version off GMG for $15 yesterday. Usually don't play Lego games but had an itch after just finishing the movies.

Game is pretty charming and the graphics are pretty amazing. Audio is good and the game in general has good production values. I'll probably finish the game just to experience the beautiful world.

Got the original for my wife when it came out and we both loved the it, just got the second and i cant believe how much the graphics have improved!

At first you dont notice it but you start to see all new effects that are smooth and impressive, plus the animation is a lot more fluid. The lighting is also very impressive, add this to the fluid motions and it sometimes seems like a cut scene. Also the camera seems to be pulled in a little which gives it a very cinematic feel.

TT also seems to have added quite a lot of new objectives to do, which for a Lego game is saying something considering they are full to the brim already with them.

I will say though that there seems to be a problem with stock, since before Christmas i have had a voucher for Gamestation and they have had no copies, neither has Game (same company i know). Most other shops seem fine but in the end i just went to CEX, felt bad but it seems Gamestation didnt want my money.

Picked it up last week on ps3 for 29.99, looking forward to gettin around to it. Really loved 1-4 but the graphics were really average, lot reviews say the graphics are actually nice now, this true?

Ithil

Ok, so is this absolutely it, for movie based games?

Yeah there'll be a Lego Harry Potter: The Complete Series, but they have no more films to make tie ins to.

Could these possibly lead to actually making some games based on the books? Or just Harry Potter games made because they have an idea they think will work well and sell better (like Batman: Arkham Asylum or Transformers: War for Cybertron)? Not just some game rushed out because there's a film out this summer?

I've been waiting a long, long time for a good Harry Potter game.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Still haven't played it yet, this and War for Cybertron out of all the games I got for Christmas I decided to leave these till after I finished Skyrim, which of course was a terrible idea, lol.

Yeah there'll be a Lego Harry Potter: The Complete Series, but they have no more films to make tie ins to.

Could these possibly lead to actually making some games based on the books? Or just Harry Potter games made because they have an idea they think will work well and sell better (like Batman: Arkham Asylum or Transformers: War for Cybertron)? Not just some game rushed out because there's a film out this summer?

It could happen, something in the realm of what EA have done with War in the North that is a separate storyline away from the main line could happen, but it will probably be a few years down the line I imagine.

Of course it is no doubt up to Rowling what others do with her license, she might not want anyone else telling any stories, but personally I would love a game that they buit away from the main series and given it's own flair.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Me and my wife completed it a few weeks ago, got 100%. We enjoyed it for the most part. There were a few things that bugged us, but I thought it was a better game than Years 1-4.

My wife isn't a Harry Potter fan, but she really loved the last movie, and she's now playing through Years 1-4 by herself (we beat that one together). She still won't read the books, but baby steps, I suppose. She'd rather just use me as an HP encyclopedia, asking all sorts of questions instead of reading them herself. I should probably stop answering her, and see if that will get her to read them...

We're going through LEGO Pirates right now, and looking forward to LEGO Batman 2 later in the year.

Does this release on Vita launch day in the EU?

Also, if there is a fucking bug that stops me getting the platinum again I'll go fucking ape shit. Despite numerous e-mails to Travellers Tales the fuckers never did sort out the PS3 version of 1-4 properly.

The game really does look fantastic. Playing it now with the wife. It's one of the few video games she'll play as she's crazy for Harry.
I'm looking forward to finishing it with her so I can go back and try and 100% it. I have a lot of fun doing this in the lego games.
One thing I'm hoping someone can help me with is the red boxes that unlock cheats. I've gotten a bunch of them but how do I activate them and where?

Carl

Also, if there is a fucking bug that stops me getting the platinum again I'll go fucking ape shit. Despite numerous e-mails to Travellers Tales the fuckers never did sort out the PS3 version of 1-4 properly.
Didn't get any bugs on my way to platinum. Except one which sent my gold brick total up from 98 to 100 with only one addition brick. But i won't complain about that one.

Mind you, i didnt have any bugs in 1-4 either. Guess i got lucky.

One thing I'm hoping someone can help me with is the red boxes that unlock cheats. I've gotten a bunch of them but how do I activate them and where?

Once you have unlocked them go to the Leaky Cauldron and go up the stairs and through the door, then take the first left. You will be able to buy them here, just remember to activate them once you have ;)

Any more Harry Potter games based on the movies would be redundant, all the shit movie games and the excellent Lego games cover the movies quite well. I would love to see an RPG of the entire series that uses the books as the source material as opposed to the movies.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I just bought the five spell pack DLC, how do you use it in game?

Edit: I see, it is in the purple circle and the spells cycle.

I've finished the game, completed it to 52% and have nearly 100 characters opened up and yet still I can't find a character with the dark power(red). Argh. Driving me nuts!
This happened to me in the last one also. Hahaha!

Top Bottom