• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO UNIVERSE |OT| Epic Platformer MMO for all ages, free 2 play, for PC and MAC

WillyFive

1561853-title.png

1561678-banner.gif

Further Reading: First Trailer | Beta Signups | Pre-Order Information | System Requirements | Now Free to Play

Theoris

Neo Member
Wow now this was a quiet release, I'm interested in peoples experience (could be fun whilst I await Cata!).

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I was in the beta and it was really fun, but I got distracted by other games so I didn't play enough. I don't know if I will pick it up.

DodgerSan

It's good for what it is, but has a LOT of problems.

1) The racing is basically broken. Whoever is in the lead at the first corner will win, as they get all the speed boosts and will just stay in front, unless they're an idiot.

2) The backpack space is very limited, and there's no off character storage. So you end up having to ditch most of the cool (useless) stuff to make room for important things. For a game based on customisation, this is pretty terrible.

3) Rampant kill-stealing. Last hit gets the kill. So you can spend ages (and a few deaths) whittling down that ape, then someone wanders past, gets one hit, and picks up all the loot. Needs fixing.

4) Content. I know launch MMOs are usually quite light on content, but LU is criminally sparse. Play a couple of hours a day and you will have finished everything available in a week. Seriously.

5) The building areas are all private instances, and the building engine is pretty clumsy to use. Needs refining.

6) The Chat system is SO locked down (for safety) it's basically unusable. It often won't even allow words that are actually in the game. For example, I had a Spanner weapon. I wanted to trade it, but when I put "Anyone want a Worthy Spanner?" in the chat, the word "spanner" was disallowed. Completely ridiculous. So the game is played in silence, as no-one can talk!

7) No grouping. Want to team up to kill that (pretty tough) dragon? No can do, and last hit get's the reward for all the work (see 3).

So what's good? Let's remember the target audience is kids, not your average GAFfer! It's bright, colourful and well animated. The controls are very simple. It can also inspire them with things to make from real lego.

My 5 year old loves just running around smacking things, which is the only reason I'll keep it past the free month. Because honestly, anyone 8+ will finish all there is to do within a week, and the only thing then is to run through it all again with a different Faction.

Also, most of the problems above are easily fixable, if the desire is there to do so. However, all of it was brought up in the beta and was met with a deafening wall of silence, so we'll have to wait and see.

Overall I'd say great for kids as a drop in, drop out game. Flawed, but with a solid foundation and tons of room for improvement. Could be great if the problems are fixed and more content comes soon and regularly.

I'd loved to have seen a game in which you'd get a lot assigned to you of x by x amount bricks on which you could build anything you wanted. And every other person next to you could do the same. Pay more and you can get a bigger lot. People could trade their designs and get money to buy special bricks and other designs. There would be multiple instances. Moderated instances have to adhere to certain styles (medieval, modern, futuristic) and other free for all instances where everything is possible. It would be a bit like those isometric mega cities.

A world built of user generated Lego. That would be awesome.

Sophuis

Neo Member
PjotrStroganov said:
I'd loved to have seen a game in which you'd get a lot assigned to you of x by x amount bricks on which you could build anything you wanted. And every other person next to you could do the same. Pay more and you can get a bigger lot. People could trade their designs and get money to buy special bricks and other designs. There would be multiple instances. Moderated instances have to adhere to certain styles (medieval, modern, futuristic) and other free for all instances where everything is possible. It would be a bit like those isometric mega cities.

A world built of user generated Lego. That would be awesome.
...brother?

So anyone give it a try recently? I'll probably check it out when I have some spare time as LEGO is one of the best things ever. Remember being excited for the game originally.

WillyFive

It's more like a platformer than a sandbox game like Roblox or LBP, but it does have it's own creative mode mixed in with the standard MMO elements.

sakipon

DodgerSan said:
3) Rampant kill-stealing. Last hit gets the kill. So you can spend ages (and a few deaths) whittling down that ape, then someone wanders past, gets one hit, and picks up all the loot. Needs fixing.
Never tried it, but just wondering if this 'last hit gets the loot' thing got fixed? Because it does not sound like fun to me.

yencid

Tried this tonight. Was suprisingly fun, im only up to level 7 or 8 so i didnt play much but i enjoyed the bit i played. Ill play some more tomorrow for sure. The fact that you cant custom name your character unless you are a paid member sucks tho.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I received a free copy of this and it is still sealed. Guess there's no point in opening it now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
:(

That's horrible. I remember being so hyped in January 2010. And the beta was good. I just never got around to playing the actual game... so this is my fault. >_<

Top Bottom