• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lethal League |OT| A Fighter With 1 Ball & 2 Bats [Free flash game]

skynidas

Banned
2488377-screen+shot+2013-05-26+at+8.35.49+pm.png

Play it now for free!

What is it?

It's a browser-based game that lets you play against a friend or the CPU in the Versus mode. In the challenge mode your goal is to speed up the ball as fast as you can!

Who made it?

Reptile is a cold-blooded independent game startup founded by three game developers in 2011 to make original games with style. At its core, there is Dion Koster, Tim Remmers and Dillon de Voor. Reptile produces both high-speed developed small games as well as mad ambitious bigger games. What makes Reptile unique is its passion to make better games, each new project extents our abilities. To entertain is a privilege and we intend to put up a show.

Some good videos showing the game

UFGT9 - Lethal League's Losers/Grand Finals

Giant Bomb "Quick Look"

2488405-header.png

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm still getting a hang of the timing, but god is this game so much fun. I wish there were an online component.

I'm sure someone is riffing on this for Steam. I can see it already.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
somehow managed to be more hype in the mystery game tournament than Soul Calibur played with dance pads

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Does the ball basically appear for two pixels before getting near your character at those speeds?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
This thread died too early. Maybe if the title said (flash game) more people would click.

Here's the UFGT9 Mystery Game Grand Final on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_yfC_LH24Fs&t=738

I've watched it quite a few times now, the way the two finalists played was perfect for building the most hype.

First Round: Figuring it out, they don't even know how to aim.
Second Round: Learn how to aim, hit it a little faster. Player 1 up 2-0.
Third Round: Possible match point for Player 1. Hitting the ball faster, Player 2 finally takes a round.
Forth Round: Hit the ball so fast the screen goes dark, crowd goes crazy. Player 1 wins the match.
It would have been better if it went to a fifth round but getting to the dark screen on the last round was epic.

The CPU is pretty difficult for me. My record so far is 9-11. I'm getting better every time I play though so that's good. I think the swing timing is a little off. It seems like there's a slight delay before the swing, maybe it's my computer? Either way it really throws me off. If the swing happened the instant the button is pressed it would provide more control and allow for easier play at higher speeds. Also there should be a visual/audio cue for when the ball will move after being hit. At higher speeds it's hard to predict how long the pause will be. And 60 fps. I watched an interview with the devs and they said after they're done with Megabyte Punch they're going to revisit Lethal League. Should be awesome.

edit: Controller support and an optional separate button for jump (and on/off toggle on the up button like SSBB) would be great too.

Are you part of Reptile, skynidas? If you are great work on LL and MP.

superbank

YES! Finally beat the computer 11 to 10. There is a pattern you can exploit, it doesn't work every time but you can get a few kills from it. When the ball drops do a power shot from your side directly at the CPU. It'll do a straight shot. Then you do a straight shot and sometimes that will peg him for an easy win.

There's definitely a wind up delay for the swing. I'd estimate it takes about .20 .25 seconds to get a swing out. When you press swing your character takes a wider stance instantly, pulls back the bat, then swings.

superbank

Hey what's up! Great games, Tim. I actually saw an audio interview while searching around on youtube. I forget who it was. Your new interview goes into more detail. How will online play work? With the ball traveling so fast any bit of lag would really mess me up I'd think... If the new characters have different attributes (height, swing power, trajectory) that would be cool.

Also there is something bothering me in the current build. When playing the CPU after one of us wins the game does not go back to the menu. I refresh to play again.

skynidas

Banned
Well, if anyone has any ideas as how to make the thread a little more appealing or informative hit me up by PM. And yeah, I'm not part of the developer team, I just created the thread because I liked the game.

Reptile_Tim

Neo Member
@superbank: Thanks man! I think you mean this interview by the Killer Bits? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xkn3JaD5_k

We won't disclose any details yet of the game but as it looks now you don't have to worry about the high speed of the ball. More information will follow after the Megabyte Punch release!

There is a little bug in the flash version indeed, we'll fix it later!

Cheers

skynidas

Banned
I updated the op a little and asked for the title change, I hope that some more people try this game, it can be really fun.

superbank

Nice, even got the title change. Just a nitpick, the UFGT title should be more like "UFGT9 Mystery Game Tournament Grand Finals". The losers final was SC2 played with DDR pads.

@superbank: Thanks man! I think you mean this interview by the Killer Bits? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xkn3JaD5_k

We won't disclose any details yet of the game but as it looks now you don't have to worry about the high speed of the ball. More information will follow after the Megabyte Punch release!

There is a little bug in the flash version indeed, we'll fix it later!

Cheers

Alright, I look forward to hearing more. And yeah that was the video.

I take back what I said about the delay on the swing. I was basing that on the swing while not within range of the ball. If you swing within range of the ball it will be hit instantly, as well as within the .20 of animation frames. Now I will blame my keyboard and the amount of time it takes to move my finger from up to down. Or maybe I'm just not skilled enough. :( I've gotten better though.

Top Bottom