• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's hear it for stupid game journalism comments!

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I was reading up on DOA: Ultimate and found this comment in a preview from Gamespot in July:

You won't be able to manipulate the camera when you're just watching a fight like you can in DOA2, which is mostly due to the fact that such functionality--at the height of DOA's original popularity--would have caused Saturns across Japan to explode (because the old 32-bit systems weren't big too on camera manipulation).

Seriously, WTF?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
They gave Virtual On: Operation Moongate a 6.4 or something. Said it was only fun for a round or two. I wonder what the highest rated saturn game was on videogames.com/gamespot. Probably Resident Evil. Or maybe Panzer Saga.

Do they still have their old reviews online?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
shantyman said:
Damn dude, I tried to edit... I wish you could edit thread titles. I look like a dumbass, and it won't be the first time. :D

Hahahah I thought you were making one of those little bumper stickers This should clear it up...

WarPig

levious said:
They gave Virtual On: Operation Moongate a 6.4 or something. Said it was only fun for a round or two. I wonder what the highest rated saturn game was on videogames.com/gamespot. Probably Resident Evil. Or maybe Panzer Saga.

I think it is Panzer Saga, actually. Lemme check...9.2. That's at least up there. James Mielke reviewed it, so of course it gets a lotta love. Dragon Force is a 9.1. I know Silvergun was a 9.0. Do they even have Virtua Fighter reviews? Nope, I guess those are too early.

Hey, that's interesting. According to the release date they have listed, Panzer Saga came out on my 19th birthday.

DFS.

levious

hey, I bought it on my 22nd birthday... it's like we're related!

WarPig

It pisses me off that there's no SaturnWorld archive. IGN wiped the live site and didn't bother to keep a backup for some damn reason.

Jeff Chen was unhappy about that for some time afterward, because among the content lost in said process was his entire near-complete Grandia import walkthrough.

DFS.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Thanks for fixing the thread title.

To say a little more on this, if the guy was trying to be funny, I did not get it. And if he was trying, he failed.

I remember distinctly a preview of a game in Next Generation magazine that said "...gameplay is fast and high res." Now, as we know, gameplay can not be high res. The graphics can, but not the gameplay. Either way, it stripped away the facade of serious journalism that magazine projected (to me, anyway).

Why is game journalism so poor??? Will it forever be relegated to the realm of catering to 17 year old boys?

levious

WarPig said:
Update: Pete Bartholow gave Grandia a 9.3 on the Spot, so that might be the all-time champ.

DFS.

Where are you finding them? Are they still on gamespot? Cause I searched for nights and nothing came up, nor did I see any retro section or anything saturn.

levious

Thanks... is there not any link from the main page though? Doesn't really matter, just doesn't make sense to me, like it's a hidden feature of the site.

Have five minutes to spare? Play a round or two of Virtual On, then move on with your life. - Jeff Gerstmann

ARGH, it's even worse than I remember!

Edit:

And they must have taken down their Nights review out of shame... I'm sure I've read it there before.

WarPig

Gerstmann's Saturn Dead or Alive review is awesome. It's, like, the Platonic ideal of the Jeff Gerstmann review.

"In the end, Dead or Alive is an above-average fighting game."

Admittedly, I probably couldn't have done any better in...fuck, was that 1998? God, I'm fucking old.

Edit: You're right about Nights. The Gamespace is there...

http://www.gamespot.com/saturn/action/nights/index.html

...but the review is long gone.

Admittedly again, there's probably a few reviews on IGN I'd like to do that to.

DFS.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
WarPig said:
Gerstmann's Saturn Dead or Alive review is awesome. It's, like, the Platonic ideal of the Jeff Gerstmann review.

"In the end, Dead or Alive is an above-average fighting game."

Admittedly, I probably couldn't have done any better in...fuck, was that 1998? God, I'm fucking old.

DFS.

LOL what a shit review.

Top Bottom