• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lioness in zoo kills man who invoked God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsa...5642927_RTRUKOC_0_US-UKRAINE-LION.xml&src=rss

KIEV (Reuters) - A man shouting that God would keep him safe was mauled to death by a lioness in Kiev zoo after he crept into the animal's enclosure, a zoo official said on Monday.

"The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists', lowered himself by a rope into the enclosure, took his shoes off and went up to the lions," the official said.

"A lioness went straight for him, knocked him down and severed his carotid artery."

The incident, Sunday evening when the zoo was packed with visitors, was the first of its kind at the attraction. Lions and tigers are kept in an "animal island" protected by thick concrete blocks.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Great Rumbler said:
I don't think God is going to save you from your own stupidity.

Winner! ;)

Actually God probably WAS involved.. you notice how they say the lioness went STRAIGHT after him?

God was like oh I gotta cut this sh*t off right NOW.

;)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Matthew 4:5-7
Then the devil took him to the holy city and set him on the pinnacle of the temple and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down, for it is written,
"'He will command his angels concerning you,'
and
"'On their hands they will bear you up,
lest you strike your foot against a stone.'"
Jesus said to him, "Again it is written, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'"

I don't think God is going to save you from your own stupidity.
Yeah, he already threw the life preserver for things like lions. It's called a brain.

Dice said:
Then the devil took him to the holy city and set him on the pinnacle of the temple and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down, for it is written,
and
Jesus said to him, "Again it is written, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'"

Haha, it's funny how the bible protects itself in every way from needing any proof that god exists. Don't say you want prove or you'll get none. You'll also get none if you don't ask. Just accept. God works in mysterious ways.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Everyone knows the bible was constructed with special 'saviour cop out clauses' to protect its integrity from incidents like this.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Anyone remember that House episode? With the nun?

To (badly) paraphrase: "Believe what you want, but when it comes time to cross the road I know you look both ways first."

I laughed.

GhaleonEB

Not sure how much the concept of "free agency" is out there in other religions, but I think he made his choice. If God was involved at all, it was likely watching on with amusement.

God gave humans the gift of free will...this guy just didn't bother reading the instructions that came with his present

East Clintwood said:
Haha, it's funny how the bible protects itself in every way from needing any proof that god exists. Don't say you want prove or you'll get none. You'll also get none if you don't ask. Just accept. God works in mysterious ways.

wow. a lot of people still haven't understood the bible and/or the function of god in our society. Well, power to them.

"The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists', lowered himself by a rope into the enclosure, took his shoes off and went up to the lions," the official said.

"A lioness went straight for him, knocked him down and severed his carotid artery."

:lol its funny if you picture it in the Family Guy artstyle...actually its funny either way, but its funnier if you picture it in the Family guy artstyle.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Ninja Scooter said:
:lol its funny if you picture it in the Family Guy artstyle...actually its funny either way, but its funnier if you picture it in the Family guy artstyle.

:lol

You just increased the funny for me 2 fold. For that, I thank you. :lol

Bowser

SnakeXs said:
Anyone remember that House episode? With the nun?

To (badly) paraphrase: "Believe what you want, but when it comes time to cross the road I know you look both ways first."

I laughed.

House is awesome like that.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
GhaleonEB said:
Not sure how much the concept of "free agency" is out there in other religions, but I think he made his choice. If God was involved at all, it was likely watching on with amusement.
It's "free will" in more honest religions. :p

aoi tsuki

The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists'
On one hand, he should've had more faith in God.
On the other hand, he shouldn't have tempted God in the first place.
On the other other hand, God doesn't exist.

i wish i had more hands.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
aoi tsuki said:
On one hand, he should've had more faith in God.
On the other hand, he shouldn't have tempted God in the first place.
On the other other hand...
250446.jpg

".... THERE IS NO OTHER HAND!"

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Hitokage said:
It's "free will" in more honest religions. :p

I prefer "Free Agency". It gives me an entirely different view of religion that brightens up my day.

"And with the first overall pick of the 1910 draft, Yahweh selects Agnes 'Teresa' Bojaxhiu out of Skopje..."

I always said Brahma's biggest mistake was cutting Mahatma Ghandi to free up cap room.

JayDubya

Banned
Option #1: Randomly quote the Babelfish excerpt from Hitchhiker's Guide.

Option #2: Laugh at the possibly religious idiot who died.

Option #3: Sigh at the stupidity of the idiot who died, note that I myself am an athiest, and condemn the people here being intolerant toward people that are religious.

Going with #3. This doesn't prove one way or the other the existence of a God. If a God exists (and I guess we're specifically talking about Jehovah / Yahweh here), you won't get any proof of that. That's the whole point of faith.

This fellow was clearly insane, and we can leave it at that.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
iapetus said:
I prefer "Free Agency". It gives me an entirely different view of religion that brightens up my day.

"And with the first overall pick of the 1910 draft, Yahweh selects Agnes 'Teresa' Bojaxhiu out of Skopje..."

I always said Brahma's biggest mistake was cutting Mahatma Ghandi to free up cap room.
"Free Agency" is the mormon idea that all people are free to follow God, but if they don't they're following Satan. It's free will at gunpoint.

Dice said:
and
You can so put the Lord your God to the test:

Judges 6 said:
36 Then Gideon said to God, “If you will save Israel by my hand, as you have said, 37 behold, I am laying a fleece of wool on the threshing floor. If there is dew on the fleece alone, and it is dry on all the ground, then I shall know that you will save Israel by my hand, as you have said.” 38 And it was so. When he rose early next morning and squeezed the fleece, he wrung enough dew from the fleece to fill a bowl with water. 39 Then Gideon said to God, “Let not your anger burn against me; let me speak just once more. Please let me test just once more with the fleece. Please let it be dry on the fleece only, and on all the ground let there be dew.” 40 And God did so that night; and it was dry on the fleece only, and on all the ground there was dew.
Test away, all you want, it's in the Bible.

JayDubya

Banned
Lucky Forward said:
You can so put the Lord your God to the test:

Test away, all you want, it's in the Bible.

a) Yes, contradictory passages exist in the Bible. No one should be surprised by this.

b) That doesn't apply to Christians. Jews, maybe. But to a Christian, the New Testament supercedes the Old Testament. Book of Matthew versus Book of Judges, Matthew wins.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The old testament is filled with examples of God showing off his power, because the point had to be made over and over again that in the polytheistic realm of gods, Abraham's God was king. The new testament put a stop to that in favor of more low key miracles performed by Jesus and his disciples, although it's still clear that God would be tested if he wanted to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom