• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List the Gameboy must-haves

I have a job that is completely empty and nothing to do whatsoever on 3rd shift weekends. I can only sneak in my Gameboy Advance to help keep me awake. I'm now starting to top out my collection of games and need to start acquiring new ones to keep me going. I know there've been tons of threads like this, but I want a good list of as many suggestions as possible. I know there are plenty of good, hell, even passable games I've totally forgotten about that I could be getting.

So tell me, Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance...

What games can I get to keep me awake at my job?

AniHawk

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
Fire Emblem
Pokemon (any version, really)
Wario Ware
Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins
Tetris
Kirby's Dream Land 2

Damn, there are so many I am forgetting. It's been a long time since I've played a handheld game.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
gb:
donkey kong 94
kirby's pinball land

gba:
astro boy
advance guardian heroes
klonoa: empire of dreams
mario vs. donkey kong
mario golf
ninja five-o
castlevania: aria of sorrow
advance wars 1+2

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
Fire Emblem
Pokemon (any version, really)
Wario Ware
Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins
Tetris
Kirby's Dream Land 2

Damn, there are so many I am forgetting. It's been a long time since I've played a handheld game.

Perfect.

belgurdo

Banned
Megaman Battle Network 2-4 (no Battle Chip challege, though)
If you can stand the cheapness, Megaman Zero 1-3
Shining Soul II
Sonic Advance 3

I've heard nothing but bad things about the Shining Soul series. What do you like about them?

Thanks for reminding about Mario Land 2. I gotta hunt that one down.
I also need to reacquire Aria of Sorrow. I beat the thing and maxed out all my stats on one save but the next day couldn't find my cart. That was almost a year ago. :(

Keep em coming and give me some more obscure ones, too. Anything I'd just normally pass up on?

Also, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, what's the general impression of it? Is it worth $15?

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
What others have said, Metroid: Zero Mission, Yoshi's Island if you haven't already played it, Mario & Luigi, Warlocked (GBC).

belgurdo

Banned
keeblerdrow said:
I've heard nothing but bad things about the Shining Soul series. What do you like about them?

The first one is shit but the second one improves on it, with multiple characters (that all play very differently from one another,) multiplayer, and some really decent combat. It's basically GBA Diablo

Deg

Banned
Fire Emblem
Mario Kart
Bomberman Tournament
Advance Wars series
Super Mario games
Classic NES Super Mario Brothers (its that good!)

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I have a large collection.

Deg

Banned
belgurdo said:
The first one is shit but the second one improves on it, with multiple characters (that all play very differently from one another,) multiplayer, and some really decent combat. It's basically GBA Diablo

hows ROTK?

BuddyC

Having a portable version of Bubble Bobble is pretty swank, especially when you can restart from any stage you've previously cleared, so...I'm gonna say Bubble Bobble: Old and New.

Spike

You call yourselves gamers?!?! All these recommendations and I have yet to see listed one of the best games for any platform!

Toki Tori - GBC

You absolutely must play this game.

Bubble Bobble
Metroid: Zero Mission
Wario Ware
Street Fighter Alpha 3
King of Fighters EX2
Aria of Sorrow
any SNES port you really liked back then

Spike said:
You call yourselves gamers?!?! All these recommendations and I have yet to see listed one of the best games for any platform!

Toki Tori - GBC

You absolutely must play this game.

Your suggestion intrigues me. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Tell me about this game.

Pachinko

Alot of good titles mentioned allready but I"m gonna be picky and narrow it down to just 2 games per platform-

Regular Gameboy titles- The best one is Donkey Kong '94 bar none. It's been 10 years since this game came out and I can still whip it out and play it extensivly. Just simple to play hard to put down fun. If I had to pick another I'd say the original tetris is always a good bet, no new gimmicks just blocks composed of 4 squares that interlock to give you points.

Gameboy Color titles- Zelda Links Awakening DX, see some of you might have just put this under regular GB games but this version was improved and probaly easier to find right now, I find it's a heck of alot more fun then the capcom developed oracle games to boot. Shantae is another overlooked but prolly hard to find GBC title , it's like zelda 2/wonderboy in nature. Pretty much a side scrolling action RPG.

Gameboy Advance - This is the hardest one to narrow down to just a couple of games, there are so many great titles , most of which are snes ports to pick from. Either of the metroid titles are a safe bet but Zero mission is defenetly more fun then Fusion is. If you like castlevania but not metroid thematically then Aria of Sorrow is a nice substitute for zero mission. For RPG titles, there isn't anything better then Mario and Luigi on GBA.

So to recap in bullit form-
Metroid Zero mission OR Castlevania : aria of sorrow
Mario & Luigi super star saga
Zelda Links Awakening DX
Shantae
Donkey Kong '94
Tetris

With just these 6 games I'm sure you'll be kept busy for awhile.

Spike

keeblerdrow said:
Your suggestion intrigues me. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Tell me about this game.

tokitori_top.jpg

http://www.tokitori.com/
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/165/165977p1.html

Quite frantkly, one of the best puzzle games ever.

kiryogi

Banned
I've already suggested some in channel, and I second again the shining soul 2. Also in terms of GBC games, get Megaman Xtreme 2. :D (besides obvious oracle zelda or lufia 3)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Where is the Oracle of Seasons/Ages love?? Sure a simple mention kiryogi was done, and I do enjoy the hell out of Link's Awakening - but the Oracle games are just as top notch, if not more so due to their insane difficulty at times and puzzles.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
any zelda or metroid game is a GB must have. Wario Ware and Tetris can't be forgotten either.

demi

Megaman & Bass (GBA) for that megaman fiend,

or get the soon to be released MegaMan Anniversary Collection (GBA), that is a must-buy for sure.

Any of the Mario Advances of course along with any Zeldas you may be able to get your hands on.

Pokemon TCG! Good one.

ourumov

Gameboy

Tokimeki Forever With You
Beatmania GB :)
The King of Fighters 96
Street Fighter Alpha Warriors Dreams
Battle Arena Toshinden
Gargoyle's Quest (shit, I lost the cart !)
Super Mario Land 1 (best Mario that can be beaten in one go)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
GB:
Final Fantasy Adventure
Final Fantasy Legend 2
Gargoyle's Quest

GBC:
Dragon Warrior 3
Zelda:Link's Awakening DX

GBA:
Legend of Stafy series
CIMA:The Enemy
Golden Sun 1 and 2
Castlevania:Aria of Sorrow
Phantasy Star Collection
Guardian Heroes Advance
Astro Boy

junkwaffle

In Front and Drawing Away
GBA
Ultimate Card Games
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Pinball
Mario Golf
Bookworm
Advance Wars 2

GBC
Mario Golf
Metal Gear Solid
Pokemon Pinball
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
Shanghai Pocket
Little Mermaid II: Pinball Frenzy

GB
Solitaire FunPak
Mario's Picross
Boggle Plus
Kirby's Pinball Land

...just some different suggestions.

BuddyC

The Mega Man Zero series is great if you loved Mega Man X. Sure, they're kinda tough, but it's all in the skill. Plus they're just fun - once you get everything down, you'll be dashing through the levels, slicing enemies in half before they even know you're there.

Top Bottom