• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lite-On LDW-401/411S users: hack available for 8x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

I am currently burning a 4x Ritek DVD+R at 8x using this hacked firmware on my LDW-411S. Pretty sweet I must say. My LDW-411S is now an 811S! You can get the hack here: http://www.xs4all.nl/~wcprins/411at811.htm - follow the directions closely. Make sure you have no disc in the drive.

After flashing, restart. You will find that it won't recognize any discs, so you have to go to control panel > system > device manager > (find your dvd burner) > click on the volumes tab > click populate. I had to figure that one out myself, I thought I killed my drive :D

Only takes 7 minutes to burn a full DVD (~4480MB) instead of 15. Haha, this is sweet. No dual layer capability, but who wants that yet anyway? It only burns at 2.4x, and media is way too expensive.

I'm backing up a bunch of data off my hd, I'll test it using a NEC drive with Nero and post screens.

Diablos

811s-1.gif

811s-2.gif

I am currently using KProbe2 to check for PI/PO errors. I'm not 100% sure how to describe this, but http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=80545 has the details...

Basically the PI should not exceed 280 and PIF (which I assume is the same as PO?) cannot exceed 32. 4x media burnt at 8x is near perfect, the little spikes are not to be taken seriously, but as a general miscalculation made when the drive read data that will happen every time.

woot.gif

Basically with good media you will have nothing to worry about. Hell, I'm not only overclocking my DVD burner but using 4x media at 8x as well. Still burns reliable discs.

Lite-on > all :D

You know you wanna do this, RedDwarf!

Diablos

I doubt it... lemme test.

BTW, you better be using true 8x media for DVD movies, otherwise your player will be unable to read some data (usaully it happens at the beginning/end of a chapter or feature). Burning at 6x is perfectly fine. It's obviously because I'm using 4x Ritek media that this is happening :D The data still burns ok, but more sensitive drives (Sony) may have some problems. The funny thing is, the data isn't corrupted, some units just have problems reading 4x media burnt at 8x it seems. My NEC and Lite-On DVD drives don't.

I am burning the CD now, I'll post the results soon.

tenchir

I bought a Liteon 1213s DVD burner from pcclub for 80 buck last week. It's a 12x burner, but I am waiting for the firmware that will let me flash the drive to a 1633s that will give me 16x burning speed and DL burning capability.

Diablos

Ok, results:

cdr.gif

You realize you can just make a backup of your firmware (or DL it from their site again) and second copy of your backed up EEPROM if the firmware gives you problems. Just load the old LDW-411S unpatched EEPROM, flash the latest Lite-On LDW-411S firmware, and you should be just fine should this not work out.

B'z-chan

Banned
tenchir said:
I bought a Liteon 1213s DVD burner from pcclub for 80 buck last week. It's a 12x burner, but I am waiting for the firmware that will let me flash the drive to a 1633s that will give me 16x burning speed and DL burning capability.

man if that was true i would go buy me one of those. Nice find though about this 4x drive.

tenchir

B'z-chan said:
man if that was true i would go buy me one of those. Nice find though about this 4x drive.

You can still get it. If there's a PCCLub near you. You have to order it first from the site

http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A1546998 Beige - $80(70 after rebate)

http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A1546999 Black - $80(70 after rebate)

It is once again in stock.

When you go to checkout, make sure to choose the location near you so you can pick it up or you can just get it shipped to you.

Remember, there's a high possibility you can flash it to 1633s once the drive(and firmware) is available.
A1546998_1.jpg

Better hurry, the 20 instant rebate will be over in a couple of weeks, and you can get it for 70 buck if you turn in a rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom