• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

lol No Japanese voicework in KOF Maximum Impact US version

belgurdo

Banned
It's mostly in English, except for words/phrases that don't translate well (and the voices range from passable to very good.) Now listening to Terry do his thing doesn't sound so damn cornball. :)

Interestingly, I'm having more fun looking through gaming boards and reading all of the frantic whining from Japanophiles/change haters who are pissed that they can't listen to a guy yell "RED FIREBALL" in nihongo than I am playing the game. Although the is very fun to play, of course.

belgurdo

Banned
Ferrio said:
There is none at all?!
No japanese/english option?

Sad sad sad.

People have gone through the game's files with tools and found the voicework on there, if that means anything

Ferrio

Banned
That's... wow.... stupid.

Man, if I hadn't already preordered I probably wouldn't of picked it up after hearing this.

belgurdo

Banned
Ferrio said:
That's... wow.... stupid.

Man, if I hadn't already preordered I probably wouldn't of picked it up after hearing this.

Play the game first before complaining. Like I said the voices are passable to awesome depending on character, and they speak fast anyway so it might as well be Japanese

Ferrio

Banned
I don't care if it's in english or japanese. I care that it isn't the same voice actors that I know.

I'm already on the fence about a 3D KOF, this just makes it worse.

Oh and damn my gamestop for not having it in. Guess I'll get it tommorow, I'll post some captures or something.

belgurdo

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
Can you talk more about the game in general...or is there a thread I'm missing...It looked hawt on the shop wall.

I know shit all about fighters in general, but the game plays pretty smoothly-it's faster than your average KOF. Controls are a toss-up of KOF 4-button style and what you get in most 3D games (WP/WK does a four hit combo if you keep tapping the button.) Instead of rolling you have a sidestep (unless I've missed the command for it.) Walls are part of the gameplay-you can't break 'em, but you can buffer combos off of them, and you hit people while they're down on the ground too (I've almost lost matches by being cornered, bounced off the wall, and then being kicked while my guy is downed.) Special moves are typical KOF

Ferrio

Banned
some quote i just read

From Cain Highwind at SNK-Capcom.com:

"The Japanese voices are on disc. They're in AFS format like other Neo Geo ports and can easily be heard using PSound."

signet

I picked it up today (cool double box, one DVD one game). I like it, not an AAA fighter like VF Evo but better than a B fighter like Bloody Roar. Much better than the latest Mortal Kombat (traded in my copy of MK for KoF:MI) so I am more than happy.

kiryogi

Banned
From the softcare doa:u vs KoFMI thread

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?p=465252#post465252

I just picked up KoFMI import yesterday. It's not too bad at all. The game's pacing is insanely fast compared to normal KoF, it's rather insane! Actually its more like Tekken meets KoF as the game also features Stylish Arts in the mess. (Their way of saying preset,dial a combo) They even got a Eddy style char o_O I'm personally enjoying it, but the game can be a big hit or miss for other folks. Anywho, while it may have familiar chars and familiar moves, it's not quite KoF, but it's not bad either :p

and on signet's note, yes. KoFMI > MK 5-6

kiryogi

Banned
belgurdo said:
I know shit all about fighters in general, but the game plays pretty smoothly-it's faster than your average KOF. Controls are a toss-up of KOF 4-button style and what you get in most 3D games (WP/WK does a four hit combo if you keep tapping the button.) Instead of rolling you have a sidestep (unless I've missed the command for it.) Walls are part of the gameplay-you can't break 'em, but you can buffer combos off of them, and you hit people while they're down on the ground too (I've almost lost matches by being cornered, bounced off the wall, and then being kicked while my guy is downed.) Special moves are typical KOF

One thing that bugs me is that the controls are really loose now, timing is hard to get a hang of too at times. Also yes, roll is useless now, but backwards roll still is somewhat good. And beware of Athena, shes total juggle maniac and probably the only balance problem i've heard out there. No cryign about Alba or Soiree!

belgurdo

Banned
kiryogi said:
One thing that bugs me is that the controls are really loose now, timing is hard to get a hang of too at times.

Yeah, I had trouble doing ryokuranbu on a SF pad, although that might be from me not being familiar with the pad

signet

I love the rigging models, got 3 of them already. I unlocked Terry's, Iori's and Rock's so far and I get the rest in the morning. Game is lots of fun, I am really surprised how good it turned out. Not a Soul Cailbur or Virtua Fighter but it is a joy to play.

kiryogi

Banned
signet said:
I love the rigging models, got 3 of them already. I unlocked Terry's, Iori's and Rock's so far and I get the rest in the morning. Game is lots of fun, I am really surprised how good it turned out. Not a Soul Cailbur or Virtua Fighter but it is a joy to play.

Heh, Ive only got Chae's, and Athena's. More 1on1 usually with my friends and challenge mode. Duke is fun to fight, even with his usual KoF cheese.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Glad to hear you guys like it. It was getting some hate (which was expected) from Neo-Geo "purist" fanboys and the like when it first came out.

There's a rumor that you can unlock the voice option, which if true, is pretty stupid.

This game is fun as hell, and yeah, it may be lacking online play, but it's definitely better than MK Deception (which I also like).

I'm very glad I imported Maximum Impact back in August though. I tried the game today and the dubbed voices are laughably bad. I have to load up the Japanese version to double check, but it actually looks like they took the time to (once again) CENSOR Mai's bounciness in her standing animation. :lol

There are some really cool alternate outfits you can unlock for the characters too, some from other Neo-Geo titles. :)

Lyte Edge said:
I have to load up the Japanese version to double check, but it actually looks like they took the time to (once again) CENSOR Mai's bounciness in her standing animation. :lol
They'll never quit, will they? They'll allow blood in Xbox Metal Slug 3, but Mai's chest must remain static, no matter what happens.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
jiji said:
They'll never quit, will they? They'll allow blood in Xbox Metal Slug 3, but Mai's chest must remain static, no matter what happens.

maybe there was a legislation passed that slipped under everyone's noses?

Lyte Edge

jiji said:

Mai is completely untouched in the U.S. release of SvC Chaos for the Xbox. Let me check in a minute or two and I'll make sure that there really was some censoring going on.

Lyte Edge

Okay, yeah, it definitely looks like even 3D Mai got censored. She's bouncing even more than I remember. (it's been a month since I last played MI) :)

Can someone check the parking garage stage and tell if they removed the lyrics from the BGM? The "N" word is used in full force in the Japanese version.

Lyte Edge

shuri said:
I bet that the japanese voices sounds equally corny to japanese players too.

Perhaps they do, but they STILL sound better than the horrid English versions regardless. :p It's the same voice actors as the 2D games BTW.

ferricide

belgurdo said:
Play the game first before complaining. Like I said the voices are passable to awesome depending on character, and they speak fast anyway so it might as well be Japanese
they actually pretty much suck IMO. i didn't put it in my reviews cos it's not like something that affects the score. and i am not saying they suck and the japanese ones rule, because i've never heard them. but IMO by and large they either suck or are passable (as opposed to "passable or awesome".)

it's also lame how what they say in english doesn't really match up to the move lists, and thus is inconsistent. IMO, anyway. because you want to be sure you're doing the right thing, right?

shoplifter said:
Apparently SCEA -required- english voices.
well, i believe that, but they don't require *exclusively* english version. if SNK ripped out the japanese ones, that's just SNK being lame IMO. namco could leave in the japanese ones for SCII, and before you say something like "namco can do whatever it wants" (which is basically true) atlus and NIS had japanese voices all over disgaea and phantom brave, and they're as microscopic as SNK NEOGEO USA. and the DVD for KOF MI is hella not full (easy to tell when you look at the bottom, on a press disc, since they're DVD-Rs and you can see the data) so it's not like an FFX thing.

mosaic

go eat paint
SNK sure can't seem to buy a bucket, but what the hell, I'm buying the Terry hat and getting a free game with it... that's a better way to look at it.

Top Bottom