• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollapalooza CANCELED

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the very least, this just saves me some money so I don't have to just barely scrape together enough money for the Curiousa Festival heh.

fart

Savant
i'd go to the cure fest but robert smith is so old and disintegrating (har har har) i think i'm better off leaving that one alone

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
fart said:
i'd go to the cure fest but robert smith is so old and disintegrating (har har har) i think i'm better off leaving that one alone

lol, i'm going entirely for the second stage. Probably not gonna stick around for the Cure. Give me Muse and Cooper Temple Clause.

swoon

why would you want to see any of those bands outside with shitty sound is beyond me and a lot of other people. indie rock isn't about sunshine, really.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
because its fun to hang out and meet a lot of new people from all around and see a LOT of badass bands?

damn...I was looking forword to the LA/Venture dates for Lollapollooza. All I can hope now is that the Pixies, Sonic Youth, and the Flaming Lips (the three bands I most wanted to see) will play sometime this summer in Los Angeles.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
swoon said:
support local music. goto clubs.

thanks for the protip. i've been supporting my local scene for years. i guess im just not hip on the scene points associated with dissing on big shows.

smaller local shows are always better anyway... unless groups like the foo fighters and audioslave sold out two shows in less than 5 minutes... Pixies had to add a third show at the Greek Theater in Berkeley, which is my favorite venue.

I swear, anytime some big timer comes into the SF area, tickets are gone like that. LA, and even Vegas, is easier to get...

White Man

Sonic Youth is great, you guys are missing out!

Take it from me (and anyone who saw them touring with, say, Pearl Jam a few years ago) -- Sonic Youth sounds like shit outside of clubs. They need to be in a club where their whole noise schtick is more natural. The tacky breathability of nature is really hell on their music.

White Man said:
Take it from me (and anyone who saw them touring with, say, Pearl Jam a few years ago) -- Sonic Youth sounds like shit outside of clubs. They need to be in a club where their whole noise schtick is more natural. The tacky breathability of nature is really hell on their music.

They were pretty good at the Central Park summer stage 2 years ago...

White Man

But they would've been better inside. You were probably just tainted by the unfathomable goodness of Wilco's set, which gives me an erection to this very goddamn day.

Star Power said:
Dudes, this is the fucking TIPPING POINT. Clear Channel and Ticketmaster MUST be stopped.

Now, I will admit freely that I like plenty of bands on this lineup and if they would've swung it down towards New Orleans I would've likely picked up a ticket.

But I think what this shows is that a lot of these bands still have yet to get enough popularity to support a tour like Lollapalooza.

So I wouldn't blame CC or Ticketmaster if people aren't buying the tickets.

akascream

Banned
That makes sense, the way they toy with noise, it would just get lost in the open atmosphere. I saw them at First Ave (MN) on thier washing machine tour. What a blast. That's a great little club btw. I think Prince built it iirc. I met Dave Grohl there one time, had some cheesy ass conversation about guitars. And its small as hell.. only fits a few hundred people. I've been told big names like the B-boys have played there under fake names.. not sure of the validity of that though.

Star Power said:
Which is where Clear Channel would come into play. :)

How about EVERY radio company out there NOT playing these artists? It's not like Entercom or Citadel and so on are burning up their charts with some of these artists either.

But I think what this really shows is that you can't do a big show like this and not have at least one currently nationwide-known act to anchor it down.

GG-Duo

but then... how "indie" are Modest Mouse, PJ Harvey, Wilco, Pixies, Sonic Youth, and Pixies, really?

I mean, Sonic Youth was on The Simpsons. And a lot of the acts are on major labels (i think)

GG-Duo said:
but then... how "indie" are Modest Mouse, PJ Harvey, Wilco, Pixies, Sonic Youth, and Pixies, really?

I mean, Sonic Youth was on The Simpsons. And a lot of the acts are on major labels (i think)

You throw Incubus on this lineup, I think the show doesn't get cancelled.

Those bands you mentioned are not indie. Critical acclaim does not mean indie. But critical acclaim (and very rabid fanbases too, I'm discrediting them a bit and I don't mean to) doesn't necessarily translate into ticket sales.

And Sonic Youth was on the Simpsons when? Not in the past couple of months. For a megashow like this to work apparently, you need to get a lot of people ON TOP of those fanbases to succeed.

Let's face it, this year's lineup would probably have worked better as a radio station's mega summer concert weekend event than a nationwide tour.

If any of Ticketmaster's insane practices are brought more attention w/ the cancellation of these fests, then perhaps it makes things more bearable.

I would hope the average concert goer is simply getting fat up w/ having to fork over an entire weeks pay for 2-4 tickets to a show that may or may not (most likely) be worth said pay.

I'd love to go the Curiosa fest, but at 45-75 it is simply not worth it. Especially when considering Mr. Smith is starting to look more like Mr. Jackson w/ each passing day.

It's already begun.

Morrissey show announced for the House of Blues here in Chicago. Problem? $50 to see the Moz. Which was pretty much the price i paid for the entire Lollapalooza lineup. No way i can see him at that price.

:(

akascream

Banned
I remember that Simpson's episode. Wasn't it the one where Homer was shooting canonballs into his stomache? I can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom