• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

looking for an MP3 player, down to 2 choices:

Status
Not open for further replies.
this:

B00008VFCU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

or this:

B0001M3MVG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I am leaning more towards the Lyra if only because of the video capabilities. The MD has me intrigued though because I have tons of random minidiscs laying around from my current MD player. (It isn't getting used much lately because it only holds 1 disc of music, plus it's one of the 1X recording models. yeah, it's old.)

So which is better? I haven't heard enough of the new Hi-MD tech to know if it's as good as the reviews say, and the Lyra just looks cool. the tech-geek in me slobbers over the Lyra, but the MD-geek wants that. it's a difficult choice.

Burger

Yeah, video is cool, but are you going to use it ??

It's like the PSP, who the fuck is gonna watch a movie while jogging, or on the train....

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Why would one not watch a movie while on the train...?

My gf's had that HiMD player for over a month, they're not that much different from previous MD players, 'cept for the fact that the discs now have HUGE capacity.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Sal Paradise Jr said:
My gf's had that HiMD player for over a month, they're not that much different from previous MD players, 'cept for the fact that the discs now have HUGE capacity.

how huge?

lexbubble

what are you looking for this MP3 player...like the main reason you want to get it...

I personally am saving up for an Ipod...i have a nike MP3 player for running and it only holds like 30 songs and I don't like it....

well I just found out that the new MD players will actually reformat your old discs from 177MB discs into 305MB discs so finding the media isn't a problem seeing as I have probably 50 discs just laying around.

Sal: has she had any problems with it?

lexbubble said:
what are you looking for this MP3 player...like the main reason you want to get it...

I personally am saving up for an Ipod...i have a nike MP3 player for running and it only holds like 30 songs and I don't like it....

basically for that reason. I have an MP3 player, two actually. One is that GBA MP3 player (the official one) and it's not bad but playing the media is so finicky. the other is one of the mini-cd mp3 players and it's great. the only problem is the same as the PSP - optical media that has to spin to access information. In other words, one battery lasts approx. 6 hours.

This Hi-MD player woud satisfy the needs for battery life, storage, and media abilities since it does wma and mp3 and a few other formats.

I'm close to being convinced I need the Hi-MD...

Catfish: the Hi-MD discs are 1 GB each. doesn't sound like much, but more than enough for me.

bune: Sony's MD players have a reputation for being portable tanks in durability and skipping. It's not an exaggeration. Her experiences w/ the HiMD player have been nothing but positive. My only original complaint w/ MD's was the shit software that came w/ them, but even those are SOOOOOOOO much more improved w/ newer versions.

The HiMD discs have a capacity of 1GB which is an delicously, godly amount of space when working in LP2 or above.

Go for it if you can, or wait for the newer HiMD models which is what i'm doing. Newer ones should be out in a few weeks.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^^

Are there any HiMD decks out there?

Why the hell doesn't Sony just release a damn HiMD drive for the PC?!? Slap it in the floppy bay. Damn them.

nitewulf

go for the iriver ihp 120, the battery lasts apprx 14 hours IIRC. otherwise the ipod or the iriver are pretty much the best choices for anyone looking to buy an mp3 player nowadays, IMO.

thanks Sal. A few questions, since a review I just read wasn't too kind to the unit. How does it play mp3/wma files? the review says that it has to be converted to Sony's ATRAC format which makes the quality suffer a bit. Is this really noticeable?

Hell, I'll just link the review: http://forums.minidisc.org/viewtopic.php?p=22101

He sounds more critical of it than positive, but then he says he likes it. I dunno what to think of that.

Oh, and there aren't any blank 1GB discs that you can just go buy. You're stuck with the one that comes with the unit. boo Sony, boo.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
DaCocoBrova said:
^^

Are there any HiMD decks out there?

Why the hell doesn't Sony just release a damn HiMD drive for the PC?!? Slap it in the floppy bay. Damn them.
The HiMD players show up as a 1gb storage drive on your comp for which you can drag N drop files into it when not using it for music.

Fusebox

Banned
Its all good. So long as you aren't one of those dorks that carrys their lumpy discman in their hand or trys to hide a cassette walkman from everyones sight then you cant really go wrong with any of the players mentioned on this page. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom