• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking to upgrade my computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing as how Doom 3 made it cry like a little schoolgirl today...

How much in Canadian dollars would it cost to get a good motherboard, ram and P4 chip?

Looking at like at least a 2 gig processor, 512 megs of ram

And I have no idea what motherboards are like

Bregor

Hyperthreading will only give very minor performance gains in most situations.

AMD is a much better value on the low end (Athlon XP) and a better performer on the high end (Athlon 64), Intel and AMD are about even in the mid range (2.4 GHz - 3.0 GHz).

If you do go with an Intel CPU, the best bet would be to get one of the Northwood core Pentium 4 processors (they will have a 'c' suffix - i.e. P4 2.8c). The newer Prescott CPUs have big heat problems.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Because Athlon doesn't flood the airwaves with advertisements, however ask anyone with a marginal amount of computer hardware knowledge and they'll also recommend Athlons.

Trust me, i was an Intel fanboy once, that's when i knew jack shit about processors and other CPU hardware components, not that I'm an expert now; but i can tell you from experience that Athlons are incredible processors, both for the money and comparatively.

Everywhere you look there's an "Intel Inside" sticker, on tower cases, in print ads, and that goddamn little chime that plays after every gateway/Dell commercial; the public eats that shit up. It's that image which is embedded in the mind of impressionable people that keeps Intel as the most reconglized(but not necessarily better) processor manufacturer in the world amongst mainstream consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom