• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord of the Rings Online - Free version |OT|

Tideas

Banned
okay folks. LOTRO is going free 2 play. so go to the website. sign up. and join me.

I'm an elf rune keeper.

Tideas.

holla

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
This isn't live yet (although it will be soon, probably by the end of the month), you can only play on the beta server right now, and that's if you even get in. Characters will be wiped and that server closed once it goes live, so don't get too attached to it.

Rapstah

I've understood that there are things you can buy in either small packages or in a big expensive pack, but if you don't buy anything, are you getting exactly what paying subscribers got before this update?

Rapstah said:
I've understood that there are things you can buy in either small packages or in a big expensive pack, but if you don't buy anything, are you getting exactly what paying subscribers got before this update?
Nope, base game high level quests you have to purchase in packs under the new system. I can't remember off the top of my head how much they cost though. Trait slots have to be bought though you're given a free slot.

I should probably jump back in to see if anything has changed. Played for about a week and became pretty bored.

Hixx

Just got invited to the stress test on Wednesday - highest level I got to when LotRO launched was 16.

Gonna take 5 and a half hours to download 10gig, should take 90 mins max :| Blargh.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I started a character for the beta last night (I'm a Dwarf named Gruffdar and I'm currently wandering around the Bradywine server )

I was going to wait until the beta was over to start playing again, but fuck it. I missed this game.

Thinking about making a new character, though. I miss my hobbit Hunter Durrowdar with his high dexterity.

notworksafe

Can't wait for this! I order a box copy of LotRO+Moria on Amazon ($8) and I'm awaiting it's arrival.

I guess Early Start for F2P is on the 8th and my current/former subscriber and any beta member is allowed in. Everyone else gets in on the 10th.

I'll be on Silverlode (bunch of friends are already there) and I'll probably go Runekeeper. Maybe we could start a Google Doc or something so everyone can meet up?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
notworksafe said:
Can't wait for this! I order a box copy of LotRO+Moria on Amazon ($8) and I'm awaiting it's arrival.

I guess Early Start for F2P is on the 8th and my current/former subscriber and any beta member is allowed in. Everyone else gets in on the 10th.

I'll be on Silverlode (bunch of friends are already there) and I'll probably go Runekeeper. Maybe we could start a Google Doc or something so everyone can meet up?

I'm working on a "real" OT for the game, I'll include a list of GAFfers and what server they play on in the OP.

notworksafe

Cool! Can't wait!

Also just had a quick question. I was checking out the account level chart, seen here:

http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/vipchart.html

It seems I have to buy something from the LotRO store to get a Premium account (which sounds far, far better than the normal free account). I was considering either buying an extra bag slot or the removal of the gold cap (Premium accts are capped at 5 gold). Which would be better if I was to get only one? Not sure how much is a lot of gold in the game. I do love crafting in many MMOs so I guess I could be getting a lot of money. However more bag slots is probably pretty useful as well.

Also, I just noticed that buying Moria gives you extra stuff too!

Purchasers of the Mines of Moria™ expansion get access to the Mines of Moria region and content, premium classes (Rune-Keeper and Warden), legendary items feature, Tier 6 crafting feature, 2 extra character slots and a level cap of 60.

For $8 I got a hell of a deal.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I'd say removing the gold cap is probably the better deal. You usually don't have that much gold in the game, but a mount costs a little over 4g so the 2g limit on free accounts is going to be a little restrictive. The 5g limit on Premium is better, but will really restrict you at endgame. Most people bounce between 10 and 20g I think, most high level items at endgame cost between 5g-10g but if you play you're constantly earning gold from skirmishes and dungeons, so you sort of sit around that level.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm generally hovering around 45-50 gold at this point. Basically it's nice to be at a money level where you can comfortably buy pretty much anything you need off the AH if you want.

Also as far as I can tell, if you bought Moria you're going to be a Premium player, since it came with a 30 day subscription.

That chart cracked me up, specifically the part where it said that "Epic Story" was "Unlimited" for all three tiers of players.

Made me think of a "limited" epic story for non payers, like an npc looking out a window saying, "Oh wow, two dragons just crashed into each other and set a village full of orphans on fire, and now the death riders are flying around skewering people while a huge volcano explodes in the background. I wish you could see it."

Alex

With how well League of Legends turned (not an MMO granted, but still) I'm really hoping to see more GOOD F2P models. But first I think they should really simplify how it's done, every one swapping around has some huge convoluted chart. At least that one looks NOWHERE NEAR as bad as the one I saw for EQ2 though.

This will be great fun though, I've been wanting to revisit this game with a friend and it seems like a good time.

Any idea when this game will release point cards? I read that they are confirmed to be coming out to a few retailers but I have yet to find a date they will be made available to consumers.

I read that the game will also take some kind of card called an "Ultimate Game Card" but I would rather not go this route because if Turbine's LOTRO point cards are anything like their DDO counterparts they will offer 30% extra points when you buy a $25 card.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Dr. Acid Avatar said:
Any idea when this game will release point cards? I read that they are confirmed to be coming out to a few retailers but I have yet to find a date they will be made available to consumers.

I read that the game will also take some kind of card called an "Ultimate Game Card" but I would rather not go this route because if Turbine's LOTRO point cards are anything like their DDO counterparts they will offer 30% extra points when you buy a $25 card.

Soon, I imagine. They were handing them out at PAX so we know they've already started printing them. I'd imagine they would show up in Gamestops within the next few weeks.

Getting this Pando Media Booster to work in order to download the LOTRO client is a pain in the fucking ass. Is there a Fileplanet file I could download? All I can see so far is the EU client on google.

Rflagg

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
So anyone want to get a fellowship going? I used to play off and on.
Never played before but it would be really cool if gaf had an official fellowship. I am downloading now won't be able to start until the 10th, because of my new player status. If I like it I will likely end up getting the complete Mirkwood deal, maybe I cheap out an settle for Moria.

Mojojo

Deacan said:
Any news on the Euro version?
Launch should have been this coming friday, but it's been delayed, with no set date..Official word is they don't want to have the bugs that hit the US version.

firex

I trolled the hell out of this based on how the game was when I quit it back in April, but I've seen the features they added to the game recently and it's probably the best free to play MMO there is now. and by best I mean you get less options than a regular paying MMO account, but otherwise it's almost on the level of the WoW juggernaut as far as polish goes.

so take that as an endorsement if there's anyone reading this wondering if it's worth playing. my biggest problem before I quit was that the old content really was lacking, but they apparently updated almost all of that since the time I quit.

notworksafe

Posted this in the other thread, but figured I'd put it here too:

I've got a Kinship set up on Silverlode with some GAF people and WoW guild members. We're all just figuring the game out together! Just send a tell to Bamavald, Scarce, or Jeeperskeepers (me) on Silverlode and we'll toss you an invite.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
If anyone on Brandywine wants into the kinship, send a tell to Teladain or Vierge, or leave your characters name here or in the other OT.

jeremy70583 said:
If i buy the game from amazon, do i unlock everything, or will i still need to buy things from the lotro store?

That's a good question. I'm wondering this myself if we unlock 1-60 content because that'll get me to order the box.

ok i went ahead and ordered MoM from amazon. I already signed up as free to play. Can i just upgrade that account, or do i need to make a new one?

Top Bottom