• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Kingdoms, Otogi...Um...why?

Speevy

Banned
This just occured to me. Otogi and its sequel are generally thought of as the most wildly imaginative and artistically beautiful games on the Xbox. And looking at videos/screens of the game, you can see why. But...looking at the developer's two exclusive efforts on the Cube, I can only ask "Why?"

I've never played the LK games, but from watching the videos, I can't even tell it's the same developer. A deeply flawed (according to reviewers) card RPG, and a slick as hell Xbox action game.

I'll give you an example. People who have played Enclave and enjoy Riddick generally say "Yeah, that's a big improvement. Starbreeze's strengths really came together in 2004."

But it seems as though From Software could have made an Otogi-esque game for the Cube, or at least given the card RPG genre something above mediocrity. I dunno...this just struck me as funny.

Renegade

Banned
I AGREE AND WHY CANT TECMO SUPPORT GC AND WHY CANT SEGA GIVE OUTRUN 2 TO GC AND WHY CANT HALO COME TO GC AND WHY CANT GTA COME TO GC AND WHY CANT METAL GEAR COME EXCLUSITIVELY TO GC AND WHY ISNT CAPCOM RELEASING EVERYTHING FOR GC...

Anyone else tired of this? -_-

Retrofluxed

Vagabond said:
I AGREE AND WHY CANT TECMO SUPPORT GC AND WHY CANT SEGA GIVE OUTRUN 2 TO GC AND WHY CANT HALO COME TO GC AND WHY CANT GTA COME TO GC AND WHY CANT METAL GEAR COME EXCLUSITIVELY TO GC AND WHY ISNT CAPCOM RELEASING EVERYTHING FOR GC...

Anyone else tired of this? -_-

Of you... yes.

Soul4ger

The original Lost Kingdoms is really fun. They made the combat real-time in the sequel, and the collision detection is HORRIFYING. But, yeah, OTOGI is way better, but like that guy with the moustache said, different teams.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Otogi is way better than LK, but...their very different. Unless this is just a graphics issue though...LK2 is way better than 1. It's just more of the same, but the "more" is noticeable. It seems that Otogi 2 is very impressive but as impressive as some of the design is on 1, it's also fairly repetitive, IMO.

So in closing...Otogi 2 > Otogi 1 > LK II > LK I

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
AeroGod said:
Crap I agree with you for once.

Although I hated Lost Kingdoms 2 also.

I let my hatred of the first deter me from sampling the second. :) Glad to hear I probably didn't make a mistake.

I got Otogi and only played a little bit.

The game is impressive, artistically (The main menu is too much), I finished the first 3 missions and I dont really get it. I don't seem to be able to die. Also, the fighting is a bit redundant.

I'll give it another shot some time in the future though.

I tried Lost Kingdoms but I just couldn't get into the card thing... not my style I guess. I tried a couple of times but I just wasn't having any fun :(

etiolate

Banned
LK2 is fun as hell...

Yeah. The fact some reviewers treat it like its supposed to be an epic turnbased rpg instead of an action card battler is not the game's fault. Acquiring new cards. powering up, real time summoning and all that jazz were quite enjoyable to me.

Top Bottom