• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dark Matter | Nature vs Nurture w/a SyFy Bent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

Found out about this gem on Netflix.

It's a SyFy show based on a comic book written by Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie, two of the Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis writers. They worked on a number of episodes, including SG-1's best episode ever
(this is not open for debate)
, Window of Opportunity.

The comic:
18069.jpg

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/18-069/Dark-Matter-Volume-1-Rebirth-TPB

The show had its first season on SyFy (13 episode run) last fall and has been renewed for another 13 episode season this year.

I'm a little over halfway through season one so far, and am quite impressed. The main cast is Canadian, and all are new faces to me, though there have already been two small supporting parts that were filled by familiar faces from Atlantis (no it's not the same universe, just the same actors).

The official summary:
SyFy said:
The crew of a derelict spaceship is awakened from stasis with no memories of who they are or how they got on board. Facing threats at every turn, they have to work together to survive a voyage charged with vengeance, betrayal and hidden secrets.

cast_banner_DarkMatter_FullCast.jpg

What's drawn me and my GF into the show so far is the characterization. The story is told from the PoV of the main characters, which means we know as much as they do. As the audience, there is no foreknowledge. Since the main characters are missing their memories, information is fragmented and disjointed.

What is learned in one episode may be confirmed in another, but it may also be reframed and put into context. So far there haven't yet been any outright contradictions, but reveals have proved that what something seems like at first glance may not always be accurate.

How the characters react to what they learn, and how those things change their perceptions of each other, is a key component of the show. These are all fully grown people, with experience and skills, but lacking the memory of their life. Are their decisions based on their innate nature? Or has the memory wipe given them all a chance to start over and chart their own course?

The budget for the show isn't super high, but the producers do an excellent job with what they've got. And some of the exterior space shots look absolutely gorgeous.

Characters:

One:
He woke up first, so he's called One, but he's not the leader. For a group of
supposed mercenaries
, One often seems out of place and unsure of himself.

Two:
She woke up second, but her self-assured nature has made her the defacto captain of this ship. There was no election, no vote. She just stepped up, and everyone else let her take control.

Three:
Stereotypical jerk. All he cares about is guns and women, and he's more than willing to shoot someone or something to solve just about any problem. Has a soft side, but doesn't like to show it.

Four:
Quiet. Athletic. Really good with swords. The first to learn about his past.

Five:
Quirky teen who is good with tech and not part of the group. Likes to dye her hair and wear bright colors. No one really knows why she is on the ship with the rest, but she seems to have absorbed the memories of the others in whatever mishap happened. She can't consciously access the memories, instead they randomly appear to her in dreams.

Six:
Big guy. Protective of Five. Flies shuttles with ease and seems to be a medic. Soft spoken, but carries a big stick. That sort of thing. You want to be his friend, but you really don't want to piss him off.

Android:
Maintains the ship and looks after the crew. Is supposedly fully logical, but sometimes appears to have emotions. Doesn't quite "get" human interaction, but tries her best.

Season One Trailer:
http://www.syfy.com/darkmatter/videos/dark-matter-season-1-trailer

And some photos:

Any one else out there watching this? Already seen all of it? Planning on checking it out?

Korigama

Coincidentally, I was just thinking of this show again. The second season went into production back in December, but I wouldn't know when it'll air.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It actually premiered in June last year and I expect the second season to have a similar start date. This along with Killjoys was a lot of fun last year.

DieH@rd

Banned
Its a good show. Nothing mindblowing, but fun to watch.

Thanks to SyFy, we now got two good shows set in spaceships [this and the amazing Expanse].

kurahador

Coincidentally, I was just thinking of this show again. The second season went into production back in December, but I wouldn't know when it'll air.

What the...so late? Can't wait for season 2. The casts is such a likeable bunch.

Also...Melissa O'Neil is hot as fuck now compared to her Canadian Idol days.

I really enjoyed this show. The character development and writing are actually pretty well done. Especially considering its a Syfy show. They've really upped the ante and it shows. This was my favourite show to come from Syfy's new lineup.

Edit: Outside of the Expanse. That's some damn good Sci-Fi

Karu

The characters are fun and keep you somewhat engaged, but the world building is garbage tier and basically not existent.

Generic alliance.
Generic television news.

You know what? Call it a day.

Clefargle

I really enjoyed this show. The character development and writing are actually pretty well done. Especially considering its a Syfy show. They've really upped the ante and it shows. This was my favourite show to come from Syfy's new lineup though.

Same bro, I really hate most SyFy shows and the "look" they usually share. But this one looked pretty good and was fresh and interesting. Not perfect, but unique.

The characters are fun and keep you somewhat engaged, but the world building is garbage tier and basically not existent.

Generic alliance.
Generic television news.

You know what? Call it a day.

It's pretty decent, story got more interesting towards to end of the season but, yeah, it's super generic outside of the central ship. Killjoys has far more interesting world building even though it seems to mostly occur in the same abandoned warehouse.

Same bro, I really hate most SyFy shows and the "look" they usually share. But this one looked pretty good and was fresh and interesting. Not perfect, but unique.

Fug I lied. The Expanse... The Expanse is just head and shoulders above the others. It was so good I literally forgot it was on Syfy.

1501.gif
you almost had me there Syfy

jdstorm

Banned
It actually premiered in June last year and I expect the second season to have a similar start date. This along with Killjoys was a lot of fun last year.

Last year was a pretty great year for space operas. Though Killjoys was my personal favourite.

Syriel

Last year was a pretty great year for space operas. Though Killjoys was my personal favourite.

Caught a random episode of Killyjoys awhile back. Guess I'll have to add that to the watch list if it ever shows up on Netflix.

Read a little bit of the OT (at least up to where I am in the show) and it seems like Dark Matter might play better on Netflix where you can easily watch one or two episodes a night rather than stretching it out over 13 weeks.

One thing I like about the editing is that every episode (aside from the first, which really felt like part 1 of 2) seems to have the main story wrap, and then there is a small bit of setup for the next episode in a sort of epilogue. So many shows run the main story to the very end of the episode, which makes this feel a bit different, but in a good way.

Liberty4all

Banned
I started watching this on Netflix. Getting some series Firefly vibes really enjoying. Anyone else watching?

Edit: found the OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom