• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: L.A. Noire (PS3)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
2154391-lanoire_finalthoughts_banner.jpg

I kinda experienced LA Noire at release (2011), never finished it and 15 years later I played through this incredibly, interesting game in which we’ll discuss below.

maxresdefault.jpg

For people who haven’t played la noire, it’s really good. First of all it’s you siding with the police, the detective, actually rare in rockstar games if you think about the gangsters, aligning with thugs.

maxresdefault.jpg

You make choices or accuse people, it’s a great system and in many games genetics but not rock star which is crazy, la noire is closer to a BioWare game than grand theft auto.

PS3_LOD2.jpg

The setting is 1940s, 50s Los Angeles, the cars, the old telephones even the trolley is a nod to the classic times, and just screams true crime LA where people were losing their minds over morphine from the previous world war, along with the corrupt police, spending time in this LA was an incredible opportunity.

maxresdefault.jpg

The majority of the game has you covering cases, covering fire, learning about crimes and think it was intended to be linear, but the public likes open world so they put in a bunch of roads. You work through traffic, homicide, vice, and arson. Each individual department gives you missions and a new buddy cop. The story is about chasing down the classic, corrupt businessman and you have the moral compass thing, cheating on your wife with a whore, and there’s tons of angles.

Overall it’s a good game but I can’t see myself playing it again, only reason I would would be to look at 1940s LA.

What did GAF think of L.A. Noire?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I didn't finish it on PS3 but I played the PS4 version and enjoyed it there. I bought it for next to nothing on Steam and started another playthrough on Steam Deck.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Played it on Switch but with the DLC missions it felt kinda bloated and went on too long. The game was ambitious but I felt it failed on the personal side of Cole Phelp's life, not sure if that's due to the chaotic dev history or what. I actually liked the second playable character more. If it was more focused and the world felt more alive it could've been remembered fondly instead of sort of mixed.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
it's actually a pretty good game even though I've only played a little of it. the LA map was done very faithful to the original as far as I can tell and I love that 50's style. definitely would get back to it one of these days.

edit: and of course, it gave us the "press X to doubt." meme too. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
from another thread a couple days ago:

first playthrough: hated how bizarre the main character was, hated the investigation stuff, hated the interviewing stuff, hated how clunky the gameplay could be...

second playthrough: for whatever reason, I very quickly realized i was playing a beautiful, incredible, no-hold-barred, over-the-top, naked gun style parody of a 40's crime noir novel/movie, deadly accurate, & almost effortlessly hilarious. & i continue to replay this game as often as any other in my replay rotation. sheer genius/madness (& i'll likely never know if it's all intentional or unintentional)...

Topher

Gold Member
Enjoyed it. One of the more tedious Platinums I've ever had to earn.

uj8msUR.png

Not literally every vehicle, but every model of vehicle. 95 of them so extremely hard to tell what you've already driven and what you haven't. I literally would get in cars and drive the two feet.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Enjoyed it. One of the more tedious Platinums I've ever had to earn.

uj8msUR.png

Not literally every vehicle, but every model of vehicle. 95 of them so extremely hard to tell what you've already driven and what you haven't. I literally would get in cars and drive the two feet.

Hot damn dude. Nice work. That plat was way too much for me lol

The one where you need to accumulate $47,000 in damages in one case seemed like a pain too

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Loved this game when I played it like a year or so ago. It's so unique, a damn shame we'll never get a sequel.

Love when you hit a car while driving with Bekowsky and he goes "Phelps, you drive like a woman!". It's so 40s, and I laughed not just because of that but at the though of what could happen if something like this was said in a game today.

marquimvfs

Weird we havent seen that MotionScan facial tech used since. Im pretty sure Rockstar owns it. After LAN, I really hoped to see them use it from then on in their games. Big nope to that.
It was way tooo costly and time consuming. They basically filmed every line of the game and then they put the "game mask" over the video. It's simpler to just try and match the movement with the audio on modern engines than film everything like a movie. That's why they didn't used it since.

I played through this game for the first time maybe five years ago on the PS3. I thought it was fun to play and it tricked me into thinking I might actually enjoy the GTA games (I still don't).

Great game. One of the best PS3 games for sure. Definitely one of the best Rockstar games along with Red Dead Redemption (1).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Tim Rogers has an upcoming (presumably 4+ hour) review of L. A. Noire coming up soon, which I'm more excited to watch than I was to keep playing the game at the time.

The Fartist

Gold Member
I bought it for PS3 when it first came out and played it for a bit. The facial animation was super cool at the time but the game didn't hit for me at the time. I've been on a 1940s L.A. crime trip recently, having watched L.A. Confidential a couple of times (amazing film). Gonna watch Black Dalia, which I've read isn't that great, but still gonna give it a watch. Anyway, I've recently bought it again on Steam and the fucking game has bug on PC where the camera keeps rotating on it's own, I can't figure out how to fix it, I've read up on it and watched a few YouTube videos on how to fix it, but can't figure it out. Sucks.

VulcanRaven

I bought it for PS3 when it first came out and played it for a bit. The facial animation was super cool at the time but the game didn't hit for me at the time. I've been on a 1940s L.A. crime trip recently, having watched L.A. Confidential a couple of times (amazing film). Gonna watch Black Dalia, which I've read isn't that great, but still gonna give it a watch. Anyway, I've recently bought it again on Steam and the fucking game has bug on PC where the camera keeps rotating on it's own, I can't figure out how to fix it, I've read up on it and watched a few YouTube videos on how to fix it, but can't figure it out. Sucks.
I like Black Dahlia. I have seen some talk that there is unreleased 3 hour extended cut that hasn't been released. I hope we get to see that one day.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I like Black Dahlia. I have seen some talk that there is unreleased 3 hour extended cut that hasn't been released. I hope we get to see that one day.

The book is a masterpiece, highly recommend it.

On topic, fantastic game, would be cool to see Rockstar put out something more experimental/unique like this every once in a while as they did with the likes of Manhunt, Bully, Warriors etc

Vandole

All the quirks aside, I consider it one of my favorite games on the PS3. I put it in the same bucket as Final Fantasy 15. It's a remarkable game that definitely feels unfinished. But if you enjoy what's there, and focus on what it has rather than what it's missing, you'll absolutely enjoy it.

A.Romero

I played it on PC and liked it a lot but it was a technical mess. I never finished it and can't remember what stopped me from using the mods (weird because I feel comfortable doing that stuff).

DryvBy

I have the platinum and I appreciated the game, it's confusing as can be when it comes to the trying to accuse and whatnot.

Plus, I think the game is actually missing tons of content which is why the story feels really off in the middle-end.

Raven117

I liked the vibe of the game alot. They could have refined a few things about it, but they absolutely nailed feel of the world.

Wish we had another one or something similar.

Games right now feel exceedingly stuck in a funk.

Top Bottom