• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: LIMBO

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished this game a few minutes ago and I'm trying to figure out how I feel about it. I had begun the game a few months ago after I got it through a Humble Bundle, but then I started a brand new game a few days ago and felt compelled to finish it today. I generally dislike trial-and-error gameplay, but trial-and-error is built into the way LIMBO presents itself to the player, providing absolutely no text or instruction apart from the myriad ways your character gets killed and mauled and torn to shreds. You don't know what electric surfaces or water does until you touch it and get instantly killed. It's an interesting concept and I think it works well.

So for the most part I forgave LIMBO its stop-and-start gameplay because that is part and parcel of its presentation. However it started to grate on me at times, especially in those puzzles that involved saw blades. Some of those things required some damn precise timing to beat, and it got pretty annoying at times having to replay the same puzzle over and over again just to get the execution down perfectly. It's fun to have to figure out a puzzle, but once you know the solution but can't apply it since the game's timing requirements are very unforgiving, then that particular segment is no longer fun. Thankfully the game had pretty generous checkpoints.

LIMBO's presentation though, from the minimalist soundtrack to the black and white aesthetic to the way your character barely emotes while things around him are getting crazier and crazier is absolutely top notch. I loved every moment I spent looking at this game, and I would welcome more games going with this kind of stylistic approach to the art.

Edit: D'oh, can a mod please move this to the gaming forum?

Top Bottom