• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Rick & Morty (Season 1 & 2)

337942_1.jpg

Recently I was on Amazon, and I saw that the first 2 seasons on R&M were on sale. So I bought them on the spot. The next two days after I got them in the mail, I binged them front to back. I figured with the 3rd season underway, this would be a good time to finally jump in, since everyone has been screaming at me since it's inception to check it out.

Well, I did. And it was fucking fantastic.

There's not a single bad episode IMO. The only one I can think of that was weak compared to the rest of the show were Look Who's Purging Now (from Season 2), and even that was pretty solid. The outlandish humor mixed with smart science makes for one of the most engaging animated shows I've ever seen. And even when the show get's serious or wants to do something a bit more grounded, it doesn't feel out of place because the decisions being made feel like they're coming from the characters and not the script.

Speaking of characters, I never thought I could care about what happens to any characters and I do these ones. As much of a dick as Rick can get, and however weird the stuff coming out of his mouth is, he's still clearly human, and cares about his family and friends. And you can see Morty grow from his experiences with Rick, as he goes from a needy child to an incredibly independent person. Summer is maybe the weakest character, but hopefully she'll get fleshed out more as the series progresses. The dynamic of the parents works beautifully, and never feels forced. And the plethora of side characters and cameos make sure the show never gets stale. The strength of those can be seen in Total Rickall, where it's entirely centered around those side characters.

I really don't have that much bad to say about it other than tiny nitpicks. All in all, I very much enjoyed it. I was laughing my ass off at nearly every episode, and I honestly can't wait to check out season 3 when it's available to buy (I don't have cable).

Favorite episodes: Meeseeks and Destroy, Rixty Minutes, Something Ricked This Way
Comes (Season 1), Total Rickall, Get Schwifty, & The Ricks Must Be Crazy (Season 2).

Love this show. Favorite character is Mr. Poopy-butthole.

Still can't believe a one-episode joke about McDonalds dipping sauce caused this much of a stir in the social community.

The show is well-written, well-acted, well-paced, funny, intelligent, crazy, and stupid. To me, it is up there with classic Simpsons.

The show is well-written, well-acted, well-paced, funny, intelligent, crazy, and stupid. To me, it is up there with classic Simpsons.

It was weird to me when I figured out that Beth was played by Sarah Chalke, who also plays Elliot on Scrubs. I didn't look at the voice credits till like the 5th episode of the 1st season, and it still didn't affect my enjoyment of the character. That's how well acted the show is.

Probably my favorite show of all time. It feels custom made for me.

Tackles some awesome themes but also makes me laugh out loud and can be rewatched ad naseum. So good.

Great show. If people hadn't recommended, I would have never gotten into it in the first place. Jerry is like the most unfortunate character ever, I can think of. He never catches a break. "Give me a break. We're not heroes for having unprotected sex on prom night."

F!ReW!Re

The best animated show I've ever seen.

Rewatched Season 1 & 2 a bunch of times and still love them.
I still think Season 1 episode 2 is one of the if not THE best episode they've made so far.

I'm a big fan of the show, but I honestly am not crazy about the first two episodes. I think the pilot is by far the weakest, and after watching it I was a bit disappointed (I started watching around mid-way Season 2 broadcast), but I thought it got a lot better and by the end of the fourth episode I got by why it was getting so popular. Still haven't watched the S3 opener.

Top Bottom