• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Izick

So the coupon for Best Buy is for $100 off. They currently have the base Air for $1139, so the $100 would come off of that.

On Apple.com the student price for the base model is $1149. It's an additional $90 to bump to 8 GB of RAM, so the cost for that would be $1,239.

I see, I see, thank you for the clarification. So what are you going to do? I'm honestly curious because I'm in a near exact position you are in, except cash may be a little more tight for me, and I'm curious to hear what Gaf thinks. Is it worth it to upgrade, Gaf?

hey gals and guys,

i have a question regarding MBPretina battery life.

Ive been paying close attention to mine, and with just ordinary use (surfing, music, et all) it will not last more than 3 and a half hours
for my test I set the brightness to exactly half.
surely this cannot be right, it seems very little anyway?
what is your experience?

and yea my software is all up to date.

Izick

I think I'm just going to go 4 GB. I think I'll be alright. I mean, I've been going off of 2 GB for a while now on my Windows PC, and it doesn't usually lock up. To be fair, I don't use much besides like Chrome/Firefox, VLC, Spotify and GIMP.

Izick

I just realized in the end I'd be paying 200$ more for that 8GB of RAM, since Apple only discounts about 50$ for students. Hm...

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized in the end I'd be paying 200$ more for that 8GB of RAM, since Apple only discounts about 50$ for students. Hm...
Yeah, this is sort of where I'm struggling. I could buy a nice mouse and a USB 3.0 external hard drive with that extra money. I imagine the most intensive thing I'll do on the system is use Office (or perhaps some light audio stuff in Audacity). I won't want/need to do Boot Camp since I have a new-er Windows PC at home. Also, I could buy it in the store and not have to wait for shipping. I'm 99% sure this is what I'm going to do now.

Izick

Yeah, this is sort of where I'm struggling. I could buy a nice mouse and a USB 3.0 external hard drive with that extra money. I imagine the most intensive thing I'll do on the system is use Office (or perhaps some light audio stuff in Audacity). I won't want/need to do Boot Camp since I have a new-er Windows PC at home. Also, I could buy it in the store and not have to wait for shipping. I'm 99% sure this is what I'm going to do now.

Me too. You getting it tonight? LET'S DO THIS SHIT! I'm pretty psyched to finally get this after all this time.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Me too. You getting it tonight? LET'S DO THIS SHIT! I'm pretty psyched to finally get this after all this time.
Unfortunately I'll have to wait until next week. :( But I'm definitely excited!

Is the Magic Mouse decent? Or should I just get like a normal two button + scroll wheel mouse? I hated the MS Touch Mouse so I'm concerned I wouldn't like it.

cnizzle06

Banned
Whelp, I went for the MacBook Pro 13" at Best Buy and walked out out with it for about $1100. So far I'm very content. Now I just need to decide on a nice mouse used for the occasional gaming (minecraft, CS, portal). I'm currently considering the Logitech Anywhere Mouse. Any suggestions?

Whelp, I went for the MacBook Pro 13" at Best Buy and walked out out with it for about $1100. So far I'm very content. Now I just need to decide on a nice mouse used for the occasional gaming (minecraft, CS, portal). I'm currently considering the Logitech Anywhere Mouse. Any suggestions?

RAT 7. Its the mouse for gods.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I've had my new Retina Macbook Pro for a couple of days. This is my first macbook. I really like it. I noticed it on my HTPC Mac Mini and using my Retina Macbook Pro that OSX just feels like a really neatly produced and easy to use operating system. Everything is so comprehensive in the GUI. The retina display wasn't as wowawesome for me as I might have expected, but this might be due to the fact that I haven't owned a previous macbook pro and I'm so used to using my iPad 3.

I'd like to find a copy of Windows cheap to run in bootcamp. I don't know whether to wait for Windows 8 or not, I hear some bad things in comparison to Windows 7.

TUSR

Banned
Oh come on. You really don't realize how heavy a Pro really is until you carry an Air around all the time. The difference in weight is relatively huge when you need to carry something every day. Try to go back to carrying a Pro again and you have to completely readjust to carrying that extra weight.

Don't think I'm the only one saying this.

And yes, I am made of tissue paper. I'll thank you not to make fun of my disability.

Its like using a 360 controller vs. a PS3 one.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some

Is the Magic Mouse decent? Or should I just get like a normal two button + scroll wheel mouse? I hated the MS Touch Mouse so I'm concerned I wouldn't like it.

I personally cannot stand the magic mouse, and neither can my wife. I use it as the mouse for my old iMac that I use as a file server because I almost never have to use it since I access that computer remotely.

If you play any games on the computer (especially shooters) you should know that you can't press both left and right buttons at the same time because the mouse is essentially one button, just that depending where you click it'll detect either a left or right click. Also, I find the shape of the mouse to be very uncomfortable but that is just my opinion obviously and could be different with you.

For basic usage it can do the job, although for the price you can get much better elsewhere IMO.

Would strongly recommend against the magic mouse, it's too shallow and too easy to mistakenly scroll. I have one and could never quite get the hang of it.

Izick

Throw some pictures up man. And congrats, you will love it. What specs did you end up getting?

I decided to go with the baseline one with 4GB. It's still so much faster than my old Toshiba, it's crazy. It's kind of weird getting used to how small and clear everything is cause of the resolution.

I decided to go with the baseline one with 4GB. It's still so much faster than my old Toshiba, it's crazy. It's kind of weird getting used to how small and clear everything is cause of the resolution.

I got mine with 8gigs. But this thing is fuckin faaaasssst. Best computer I've ever owned.

Track pad is amazing.

Oh and welcome to the club!

Izick

I got mine with 8gigs. But this thing is fuckin faaaasssst. Best computer I've ever owned.

Track pad is amazing.

Oh and welcome to the club!

What do you suggest doing/getting? I feel like I'm in this awesome alien world and theres som much I don't know.

Izick

What do you suggest doing/getting? I feel like I'm in this awesome alien world and theres som much I don't know.

poc4l.gif

Maximus.

hey gals and guys,

i have a question regarding MBPretina battery life.

Ive been paying close attention to mine, and with just ordinary use (surfing, music, et all) it will not last more than 3 and a half hours
for my test I set the brightness to exactly half.
surely this cannot be right, it seems very little anyway?
what is your experience?

and yea my software is all up to date.

My battery life hasnt been stellar. I would say 3-4 hours is what I am experiencing as well, even though the battery time says i have more. I am sure as more updates come out, we will have a better battery. I was really looking forward to getting 5-7 hours of battery life though from the get go!

Turn on 3 finger drag first off. Shit's cash.

As for your other question, just play around. I'm still learning a lot too (got my first mac less than a month ago). Peruse the Mac App Store, have fun.

Anybody have a recommendation for a bag for a 11" MBA? Need something light and simple with handles and a shoulder strap, ideally.

Currently using a bag for a 12" powerbook and it doesn't fit too well in it.

whitehawk

Banned
Is this a report from someone within apple or leaked? The drivers aren't working right now, but the OS hasn't even been released.
I have the Windows 8 consumer preview bootcamped on my 2011 iMac. For a while sound drivers didn't work. I fixed it but I'm not sure how. (except sound only comes out of the speakers, not headphones. and the volume buttons on the keyboard don't work). The scrolling on my magic mouse doesn't work either.

Trojita

My MBPR came with Mountain Lion. I'm pretty damn sure it did at least, I checked the version numbers and I have the screen.

What sucks is that I don't think I can put it on my other Mac like other people seem to be able to do if they used the voucher or bought it on the App store to begin with.

Izick

My MBPR came with Mountain Lion. I'm pretty damn sure it did at least, I checked the version numbers and I have the screen.

What sucks is that I don't think I can put it on my other Mac like other people seem to be able to do if they used the voucher or bought it on the App store to begin with.

Probably depends where you get it maybe? Just picked up an Air yesterday, and it has Lion, which is 10.7, right? I picked it up at Best Buy though.

Trojita

Probably because the rMBP are still coming from China when ordered online. Pretty soon all of the machines that come from the factory should have Mountain Lion installed.

Does it have to be NTFS? Both Mac and Windows now support ExFat.

Thanks for the tip, I wasn't familiar with exFAT and just read up on it. I would use it for the external drive, but I need to be able to hook it up to the Synology NAS. It only supports ext3, ext4, FAT and NTFS.

The Paragon NTFS trial is running perfectly fine so far. It's invisible, just like it should be. Transferring files over USB 3 seems pretty fast, too.

In other news, i've been settling into the 13" Air and OS X for about a week now (first time Mac user). It's faaaaaantastic! No regrets about switching so far.

Izick

Thanks for the tip, I wasn't familiar with exFAT and just read up on it. I would use it for the external drive, but I need to be able to hook it up to the Synology NAS. It only supports ext3, ext4, FAT and NTFS.

The Paragon NTFS trial is running perfectly fine so far. It's invisible, just like it should be. Transferring files over USB 3 seems pretty fast, too.

In other news, i've been settling into the 13" Air and OS X for about a week now (first time Mac user). It's faaaaaantastic! No regrets about switching so far.

It's pretty weird at first though. I kind of was thinking "doesn't having things in fullscreen without a task-bar/dock kind of hinder productivity?" Then I started to use the multi-finger touchpad stuff, and I was amazed. It's so amazing. Just the idea that I can scroll with two fingers flawlessly, then go into this overview by adding another, it's just really really cool.

I've only had one tablet before, a Nexus 7, but the trackpad seems to combine both the best of a normal trackpad, and some great bonuses of a touchscreen device. It's really, really smart.

In related news, I'm going to look into getting my free copy of MLion, and I was just curious, how much does it change, and what should I expect compared to Lion?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Probably the minority and some people will laugh but I play all games on my MacBook Air with the Magic Trackpad. Minecraft, Portal, ZDoom, and all other first person games. I can not use a mouse. Never have been able to. When I had a normal machine back in the days before the MTP, I would play with a keyboard only and people would tell me I'm an idiot and should be using a mouse too. I tried, but could never get the hang. I'd rather use a controller than a mouse and keyboard. But the Magic Trackpad comes so naturally to me. I am so fast and light on my feet in those games whipping through them like butter. But I seem to be the only one who can do this. I literally have not used a mouse since I got my first MBP. Now I even have a MTP for my Mac mini. I cannot see myself wanting to go back to a mouse.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Just bought a new 13 inch MBP for college after my old laptop started slowing down / being a bitch. Scary spending that much money on it, but let's hope it's worth it. First time owning Mac hardware. :)

Top Bottom