• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madcatz HDTV Component switcher - Anyone else have one?

Nester

I don't have an HDTV, just a TV with Component video. I bought the Madcatz Component switcher today and figured for $20 it couldn't be all that bad for a non HD set. I didn't think that I'd notice any signal degredation, just a nice cheap way to switch between the Xbox and Gamecube.

I was wrong. The two switches I have cables plugged into are a bit wavy on the plain black Video 4 screen, while the two switches I don't have anything plugged into are solid black as they should be.

Anyone else have one of these and have it look decent at all? I just want to make sure that I didn't get a defect before I bring it back tomorrow for being a piece of crap.

EDIT: Wow, forget what I just said. I was getting the wavy lines earlier today when I first plugged it in, now getting back home from grocery shopping and after typing this I turned it on and everything was crisp and clear. Everything looks great. Very nice for $20.00.

It sucks. If you want a good component/SVHS/AV/Fibre Optic/Ethernet switcher all in one, get this:

unv004a.jpg

My friend has it and really likes it. It runs for about 90-100$ USD. I vouched for an inexpensive quality HT Receiver instead (it was about the same price as this).

Nester

Dragona Akehi said:
It sucks. If you want a good component/SVHS/AV/Fibre Optic/Ethernet switcher all in one, get this:

unv004a.jpg

My friend has it and really likes it. I vouched for an inexpensive quality HT Receiver instead (it was about the same price as this).

I almost got that, but then I saw the Madcatz. Not feeling too bad about my purchase now, but I definitely wouldn't use this if I did have an actual HD set.

Nos_G

I have the Pelican selector and I find that it does the job pretty well, connecting consoles via component.

I'm not too sure why it is powered, since it is a push switch selector... maybe for the lights? :p

I'd recommend this selector if you are in the market with a budget in mind... otherwise just go for the audio authority auto-switcher.

I just picked up this:

1154frontlc.jpg

1154backlc.jpg

It has an auto sensing switch, priority settings in case anything is turned on all the time such as an HDTV receiver, and the it will automatically convert coax audio to optical audio as well as optical to coax.

Mareg

I have the madcatz. Paid an hefty sum for it (really, a poor decision) as I had to import it myself from america. Anyway, I paid about 65$ CAN and I used it like for 10 minutes max. The poor thing is now resting at the deepest section of my gaming coffer.

I just tought the thing was clunky and didn't serve its purpose at all. Beside, I'm on HDTV and the thing was just a peice of junk for me. I should have wait for the selector pro from pellican. Oh damn, anyway. I just unpluged some console and bought an other component anabled tv.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i have one of those. the madcatz, i mean. it passes hd signals and doesn't seem to affect the picture noticeably. and it was cheap as hell, of course. i'm no videophile, but i'm glad i didn't buy one of those expensive active switches.

Marty Chinn said:
I just picked up this:

1154frontlc.jpg

1154backlc.jpg

It has an auto sensing switch, priority settings in case anything is turned on all the time such as an HDTV receiver, and the it will automatically convert coax audio to optical audio as well as optical to coax.

1154A is the best component switcher you can buy, PERIOD. 100MHz bandwidth, auto-switching, optical and coax digital switching...the works.

I have one and absolutely love it.

Dragona Akehi said:

unv004a.jpg

My friend has it and really likes it. It runs for about 90-100$ USD. I vouched for an inexpensive quality HT Receiver instead (it was about the same price as this).

Ahh damnit, I still cant find that thing, I have been looking for one of those in stores and have never seen one yet. I live in Canada, BC. Anyone know how I might find one? I dont have a credit card so I can't order one, my dad is paranoid about CC use on the net, it was a bitch just getting him to let me use his to sign up for XBox Live. Oh well, I am actualy goign to be applying for a CC of my own soon, so maybe I'll orde rone or something. Unless anyone knows where to find them in Canada?

On a side note, I also cant seem to find that Belkin Nostroumo or whatever it's called thing either, so again, any help?

And regarding the Madcatz switcher, I saw that at EB the other day and put it down again with great skeptisism.

~Black Deatha

Nos_G

Black Deatha said:
Ahh damnit, I still cant find that thing, I have been looking for one of those in stores and have never seen one yet. I live in Canada, BC. Anyone know how I might find one? I dont have a credit card so I can't order one, my dad is paranoid about CC use on the net, it was a bitch just getting him to let me use his to sign up for XBox Live. Oh well, I am actualy goign to be applying for a CC of my own soon, so maybe I'll orde rone or something. Unless anyone knows where to find them in Canada?

On a side note, I also cant seem to find that Belkin Nostroumo or whatever it's called thing either, so again, any help?

And regarding the Madcatz switcher, I saw that at EB the other day and put it down again with great skeptisism.

~Black Deatha

I found mine in Futureshop... the dudes over at the tv/audio section didn't know they even had it in stock.

It was the in the videogames section, PS2 Accessories to be exact. Keep your eyes peeled, they only seem to order about one or two units.

Nos_G said:
I found mine in Futureshop... the dudes over at the tv/audio section didn't know they even had it in stock.

It was the in the videogames section, PS2 Accessories to be exact. Keep your eyes peeled, they only seem to order about one or two units.

Hmm, I'll look again, but I seem to remember a while back actualy asking a guy I know there to check and he looked on the PC and there was nothing, but I could try again.

Also the FS website doesnt even list them, but I have sseen a few things in the stores not listed on there site, so...

~Black Deatha

Miguel

Heh, I found some Madcatz PS2 component cables at Best buy for 5 bucks. Whether or not they do a great job, but at 5 bucks they were cheaper than the SVid and Composite cables.

drohne said:
i have one of those. the madcatz, i mean. it passes hd signals and doesn't seem to affect the picture noticeably. and it was cheap as hell, of course. i'm no videophile, but i'm glad i didn't buy one of those expensive active switches.

Pretty much how I feel about the Madcatz.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
That audio authority switcher looks badass. Is that available only online or can I walk into a store and buy it?

jedimike

A couple questions because I need one of these bad.

How much is the audio authoruty switch?

Does the Madcatz do fiber?

My receiver only has one fiber input and I get real tired of going behind the TV to switch my audio inputs.

The Audio Authority one is supposed to be about $200. However, I got mine off Ebay for $168. There's a few online stores that sell stuff on ebay as well. They're constantly on and can easily be had by just bidding once. Just make sure you get the 1154A and not the 1154. Slight difference, but the A is better and the same price on Ebay. It works like a charm so far. You can also check www.audioauthority.com for more information. I've currently got my GC, Xbox and PS2 hooked up to it right now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lots of those look great to me over in UK land, and I'm happy to import, but I need equal, twin outputs (or at least one output that can be split to projector/TV)

anything do this easily? I have a crappy box right now, but thats SD, and I want to line up some HD compatible stuff (my displays will take it, and my DVD player and xbox will output it, but I'm not taking advantage)

Top Bottom