• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAF's Music Reviews: Yay

Status
Not open for further replies.
My review style is quick and easy to understand. Here we go!

B00005YXZH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco

Rox. Cept some of it sounds like country music, which makes it SUX. Mostly Rox tho, with a few sucky songs. Favorites: Im the Man Who Loves You and Kamera

B00005JSHW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Oh, Inverted World - The Shins

Chutes too Narrow is better, but this one has a few gems. My primary suxxor problem with this cd is that it lacks the vocal clarity of Chutes too Narrow cause its always fuggin echoing n shit. These guys write some clever stuff but if I cant understand what they say most of the time an issue will be had. Favorite track is Girl Inform Me.

B0002858YS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Hot Fuss - The Killers

First few songs are the best on the cd, and strangely I like their sound a bit more than Franz Ferdinand even if they sound like Franz mixed with some 80s synth band. Just more oomph in their songs. However the part where he says some shit like I have soul but im not a soldier makes me go wtf shut up asshole.

B00008VOQM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Fever to Tell - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Love O's voice. Reminds me of whatsherface from the pretenders. Maps is easily the best song on the whole damned cd, the rest of the songs are energetic enough but the bands obsession with having O sing the same word over and over again gets TIRESOME to me. I think im just desperate for a legitimate female lead rocker type and im willing to listen to anything. Best buy only got 6 of my dollars for this one so I dont feel too bad.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I think my roomate hid the mail key from me and now he's not here to yell at.

Seemed like this was as good a place as any to get that off my chest.

KILL YOUR ROOMATE AND ORDER A PIZZA WITH THE MONEY FROM HIS WALLET!

I will emulate pitchforkmedia by comparing the Yeah Yeah Yeahs to the taste of my favorite wine on a summer day and then referencing some band no one's heard of in some nostalgic way and then end it with some shitty quote.

Willco

Hollywood Square
MrAngryFace said:
KILL YOUR ROOMATE AND ORDER A PIZZA WITH THE MONEY FROM HIS WALLET!

I will emulate pitchforkmedia by comparing the Yeah Yeah Yeahs to the taste of my favorite wine on a summer day and then referencing some band no one's heard of in some nostalgic way and then end it with some shitty quote.

This is better. Afterwards, hire me and Mike as your Co-Editors, this way we can all wrote in-jokes in our reviews and have roundtables about vague, unknown artists! Now with more angst!

Hot Fuss is good if you can find it cheap, not work anything more than 8.99 id figure. Or just BORROW BACKUP COPIES OF THE AUDIO FILES!

Suerte

I heart MAF, listening to Hot Fuss just now, it's pretty good!

If you're into the whole Franz Ferdinand style of music try "Razorlight"

Dead

well not really...yet
The only yeah yeah songs I know is Maps, and it seems that they got popular by ripping off almost every placebo song in one song.

thats pretty fucking bad :/

Dead

well not really...yet
Well like I said, only song I know is maps, but the thing is had that album when it was 6.99 but I sold it without ever listening to it! oh well!

Heh. You should really check more out by them, their other stuff is nothing like Maps. It's like... hmm.. Ramones + Blondie + Sousxie and the Banshees + the Stooges. Really fun, energetic "punk" rock. And their guitarist is pretty good.

Try the songs:

Rich
Art Star
Y-Control
Shot Down
Date With the Night
Countdown
Miles Away
Man
Black Tongue

And they're AMAZING live. Like... one of the best live bands EVAR.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see "Pin" or "Tick" on Star Power's list-- those are my favorite YYY songs.

Except their cover of Liars' "Mr. You're On Fire Mr." which is way better than the original, and fucking WILD.

Jak140

MrAngryFace said:
However the part where he says some shit like I have soul but im not a soldier makes me go wtf shut up asshole.
Heh, I love the "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier" line. It's just so ridiculous and over the top that I can't help but form a goofy smile everytime I hear it. Plus they got a gospel choir to sing it, which really pushes it over the edge for me (in a good way). Anyway I'd say the CD is worth $10. There are some filler songs, but it's a solid 7 out of 10.

Also, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs EP is a lot better than their debut CD. There still isn't a song better than Maps on there, but I'd say most of the songs are almost on par with it. You can download "Bang" from their EP for free here: http://mp3.insound.com/download.cfm?mp3id=1004

Suerte

Lambtron said:
I don't see "Pin" or "Tick" on Star Power's list-- those are my favorite YYY songs.

Except their cover of Liars' "Mr. You're On Fire Mr." which is way better than the original, and fucking WILD.

"Pin" is great, plus "Black Tongue" has some of my favourite lyrics - "boy your just a stupid bitch and girl you're a no good dick" :D

Also, on The Killer's album - "Somebody Told Me" seems to be my favourite.

"It's not confidential, I've got potential, A rushin', a rushin' around."

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The part in "Tick" where Karen yells "You look like shit! You take your time! T-t-t-TIME!!!" fuckin' gets me every time. It's oh so devastating. The music and everything. I have quite a heart on for that song.

my copy of new earth mud's new album this magnificient distance came in yesterday. i like the new album more than their first self-titled album.

for those of you who don't know about the mud, they are headed up by chris robinson who was the lead man of the black crowes (also rock).

you can read more about them at newearthmud.net

I seriously just can't get into The YYY's, try as I might. There's nothing I outright hate about them, they just grind on my nerves. 'Maps' is OK, as is 'Date With The Night' and 'Rich'. Nothing else on Fever To Tell sounds very interesting to me at all.

As far as I'm concerned, just about any band with no bass player has already got a couple of strikes against it. Respect the superior instrument fuckers!

Not that I'm biased in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom