• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

traveler

Not Wario
Stream is live.

Game designer created cards in core set? That's pretty weird.

Edit: Ah, fits in with the whole community created card they've been running. Crazy they're willing to let so many in a core set be designed externally. Guess they get develop them and control the balance in the end anyways, though.

An-Det

aEPmZoq.png

Crocodile

Man that BW is super aggressively costed. So weird especially compared to some of the other gods which have weird/shitty costing/abilities.

Does ANYBODY care about the Hero's Path & activities?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Man that BW is super aggressively costed. So weird especially compared to some of the other gods which have weird/shitty costing/abilities.

Does ANYBODY care about the Hero's Path & activities?

Just like Thassa, It's going to annoy the shit out of me.

traveler

Not Wario
Sage of Hours going straight into Kraj EDH deck. Holy shit.

Edit: King Midas!

Edit2: No details on next block is kinda disappointing. This is pretty late to go without hearing on it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
King Macar, the Gold Cursed:

2Tz4gHL.png

I like the art on this one. Someone else pointed out correctly that it would have made a lot more sense flavorwise if the Inspired trigger wasn't optional.

traveler

Not Wario
That was the most toe the line response ever on that MTGO question. Granted, not sure what I expected, but they do need to serious ramp up their online presence because they are getting stomped by Hearthstone et al in usability there.

They already said they're gonna show it at the Pro Tour instead for whatever reason.

Missed this- when did they say it? Which PT? I'm out of the loop totally.

Angry Grimace

I don't quite understand what's wrong with MTGO. It works fine for me.
wtzgU.gif

traveler

Not Wario
It works, but going between it and HS is night and day. Granted, one was designed entirely around that space, but it just doesn't feel like Wizards takes their software and online side seriously. Usability aside, it even looks like a product out of early net days.

Wichu

Yep, compare how polished e.g. Hearthstone (or even Duels of the Planeswalkers) looks compared to Magic Online. It really needs a major interface upgrade to attract new players.

It works, but going between it and HS is night and day. Granted, one was designed entirely around that space, but it just doesn't feel like Wizards takes their software and online side seriously. Usability aside, it even looks like a product out of early net days.

Just doesn't feel? It doesn't feel?

Wizards online interface, running of their [online] business, prize pools, EVERYTHING is absolutely atrocious by modern standards. It is literally the worst or one of the worst things I have ever seen. I'm never returning to Magic Online. It is literally the worst investment of money on the planet.

Crocodile

Well apparently the planeswalker in Conspiracy is non other than Dack Fayden:

BlCz9tvIIAAGy4b.jpg

Per rumblings on twitter, since he won't be standard/modern legal, they are pushing his power level. If true, I'm excited, it should be pretty easy for him to usurp Ral Zarek in Cube :)

Firemind

Per rumblings on twitter, since he won't be standard/modern legal, they are pushing his power level. If true, I'm excited, it should be pretty easy for him to usurp Ral Zarek in Cube :)

If he won't be tournament legal, then what's the fucking point of printing a planeswalker?

Crocodile

If he won't be tournament legal, then what's the fucking point of printing a planeswalker?

Is this a serious question? Did you forget Legacy (and Vintage too)? Cards like Baleful Strix, Shardless Agent, True Name Nemesis, Toxic Deluge, Unexpectedly Absent all came in casual supplementary products but were developed for Legacy. This isn't a new thing in general for Magic, its a new thing for the Planeswalker card type though :)

Firemind

Since he's U/R, he will have to do something truly degenerate to be able to make a splash in U/R vintage and legacy lists. The non-combo U/R legacy decks are... UR/WUR/RUG Delver? None of them want an expensive planeswalker.

Kind of hard not for that not to be the takeaway from the Journey Into Nyx trailer: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=107870328

"True heroes never die." "Resign yourself to your glorious fate." Etc etc. But could easily be a fakeout, with it being so obvious.

Ah, I didn't catch that either. I made the remark back in February.

I wouldn't be surprised if Elspeth is killed off.

(02-16-2014, 08:26 PM)

EDIT:

Just watched the trailer. Pretty sweet.

Well apparently the planeswalker in Conspiracy is non other than Dack Fayden:

BlCz9tvIIAAGy4b.jpg

He's a thief, right? I wonder if that will play out in one of his abilities.

Angry Grimace

Is counterfeiting actually a problem? I know its the logic behind the foil sticker on the rares and maybe the font change but I didn't know it was that big of an issue

You can get almost indistinguishable fakes from China now.

The Adder

Banned
I think I'm going to try to build an infinite turn mill deck using Ajani and Sage of Hours.

Axe Bane Guardians and other mana dorks
Fog effects
Ajani
Sage of Hours
Forced Adaptation
Psychic Spiral

The two or three times it works will be hilarious.

Just did my first ever TPF draft. Such a strange format; I ended up with a pretty solid red/green beatdown/attrition deck with some suspend monsters, removal spells, and a crazy amount of card advantage (they printed Harmonize at uncommon!?). Lost in the finals to a pretty sweet rebels deck; my deck was capable of getting there, but I just never could quite draw the right stuff in time (and I got daggered at a key moment by Mana Tithe).

Seems like a pretty sweet format. Hopefully I can find enough time to do it once more before they rotate it out.

y2dvd

8JWsFVh.jpg

Noticed how it doesn't say "Choose TARGET creature". You'll be able to copy even the opponent's hexproof creatures. Be careful choosing legendary creatures though lol.

Angry Grimace

I think I'm going to try to build an infinite turn mill deck using Ajani and Sage of Hours.

Axe Bane Guardians and other mana dorks
Fog effects
Ajani
Sage of Hours
Forced Adaptation
Psychic Spiral

The two or three times it works will be hilarious.

That's what I said about my Whip of Erebos-Giant Adephage deck too.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
8JWsFVh.jpg

Noticed how it doesn't say "Choose TARGET creature". You'll be able to copy even the opponent's hexproof creatures. Be careful choosing legendary creatures though lol.

This is hilarious. Man, could they have picked a worse first card to show off Strive with? I was super down on it, but every card I've seen with it since then has been great.

The Adder

Banned
Has there ever been a card something like

"Defender

[Card name] had hexproof except when targeted by spells and abilities that deal damage

Spells and abilities your opponent control that deal damage and can target [Card Name] must target [Card Name]"

Top Bottom