• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

OnPoint

Haha, I'm being a buzzkillington. I really want to like this card, but the cynical Spike in me is rearing his head.

Don't get me wrong -- I don't think it's a good card. I feel like exposing your land to creature kill/removal is always risky, and while it could be a good tool for a quick mono-red deck or a red-green aggro deck (especially late game) it's probably too problematic for most decks.

Unless... Crucible of Worlds is getting a reprint.

/magicalchristmaslanddreams

OnPoint

So is this the weekend tourny we should start seeing some spicier builds show up and rock the meta game? I really want someone to break the Voice already.

zoukka

13353_474063529343182_140343660_n.jpg

Interesting, might be too slow for RDW, but a midrange R/G list packing Arbor Elf could power out a 7/7 by turn 4.

A kill spell would put you behind curve. Unplayable.

bigkrev

It has Haste.

It's to prevent players from playing it on a mountain they played that turn, and getting fucked over by summoning sickness. I was a huge stickler for this with Koth's +1. It's a good argument to play all lands with the same art.

Of course, we live in the era of no downside mechanics. I'd expect all future cards like this to automatically grant haste.

OnPoint

It's to prevent players from playing it on a mountain they played that turn, and getting fucked over by summoning sickness. I was a huge stickler for this with Koth's +1. It's a good argument to play all lands with the same art.

Of course, we live in the era of no downside mechanics. I'd expect all future cards like this to automatically grant haste.

I could see myself being screwed over by that if it didn't have the haste clause. I can also see myself being glad if an opponent missed it. I think wrinkles like that separate good play from poor play and it makes me sad that it's being removed.

Haste makes it looks like its granting more value than it actually is. If it couldn't have Rancor's bounce-back, then it should have at least granted Trample, Intimidate, or Madcap Skillz.

Yeef

It's a pretty solid limited card. Can't see it being too great in constructed unless it ties into Theros' mechanics somehow.

I'm sure someone out there will make a janky Terra Eternal deck that runs it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
13353_474063529343182_140343660_n.jpg

Interesting, might be too slow for RDW, but a midrange R/G list packing Arbor Elf could power out a 7/7 by turn 4.

That thing is just removal bait, except that in addition to losing your beater you're losing an aura and a mana source.

Awful card.

ultron87

I'm at least glad that Draft is first, since that means I'll be home for today's constructed. Unless I decide to go to FNM, of course.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I keep buying the Planeswalkers sets as soon as they come out. I'm probably going to do the same with 2014 despite the fact I haven't really delved into editing a deck with them. :/

bigkrev

So apparently it spiked the viewership by almost 4K, but they really shouldn't let guys like Day9 play on the Pro Tour. It was painful to watch him miss trigger after trigger, and asking the judges at least 1 question per turn. This is something you do for Grand Prix, not Pro Tours.

Sinatar

Yea inviting Day 9 over someone who actually contributes to the Magic community isn't cool. Didn't they give him an invite to the last pro tour and he didn't make it past day 1? I mean fine give him 1 shot, but after that no more freebies. His slot is a slot that could be occupied by someone relevant who has an actual chance of winning.

An example of a good invite was the last pro tour when they invited Melissa Detora who has been doing good things for the game for years and ended up making Top 8.

Yofaycesux

Neo Member
Hey, could anyone help me with a RtR block Cube? Its the set I've started from, so I'd like to make something workable from it and am absolute trash at balancing colors.

kirblar

Yea inviting Day 9 over someone who actually contributes to the Magic community isn't cool. Didn't they give him an invite to the last pro tour and he didn't make it past day 1? I mean fine give him 1 shot, but after that no more freebies. His slot is a slot that could be occupied by someone relevant who has an actual chance of winning.

An example of a good invite was the last pro tour when they invited Melissa Detora who has been doing good things for the game for years and ended up making Top 8.
Nah, that was the team GP.

And Day9 is fine, he's essentially a walking bye. :p

Melissa's invite was actually for the exact same reason- they're making a "community spotlight invite" a thing now. Would have been less controversy if they had flipped the order!

Day9 is such a waste. I'd rather they toss the invite to some MTGO grinder from twitch.

A day9 invite gives them reach into an audience that may or may not be into Magic. He obviously is terrible, but I'm sure day9 brought in extra views and revenue, which is essentially what they're after. Not to mention day9's demographic is perfect for mtg, especially for MTGO.

rCIZZLE

A day9 invite gives them reach into an audience that may or may not be into Magic. He obviously is terrible, but I'm sure day9 brought in extra views and revenue, which is essentially what they're after. Not to mention day9's demographic is perfect for mtg, especially for MTGO.

MTG is already more popular than it's ever been and there's probably tons of crossover already. Just seems unnecessary.

bigkrev

MTG is already more popular than it's ever been and there's probably tons of crossover already. Just seems unnecessary.

He brought approx 4000 more people to the stream, and the number only dropped by about 2000 once his match ended. That's a lot of eyeballs on magic, on a website that cators to hardcore gamers (Twich). Mission was fucking accomplished , but I feel they should have had a separate feed for him, showing stuff like Walking the Plains and set trailers between his matches, and maybe even having Day9 do commentary on his own matches, ala the Outsiders in WCW.

Just as someone already invested in Magic, it's kinda annoying

f0rk

There was a Starcraft 2 stream for some ro16 matches running at the same time with 60k across all languages. Magic isn't really that popular in this space relative to video games, day9 does bring people into the game

I got an e-mail from Twitch TV today telling me about the top events happening this weekend. The SCG Open was on there. The Pro Tour was not. They need to get more viewers.

Sinatar

This is hilariously awesome. If this guy takes down a pro tour with a mazes end deck I will laugh myself silly.

bigkrev

This deck makes me so happy. Conley tweeted out that he hadn't even tested against the deck, meaning that CFB didn't even think the deck was real.

Zocano

No. But it did damn well for being a Mazes End deck

Shame, I expected more out of it.
Would have been amazing if it actually succeeded to the top.

On a different note, I realized today that, ironically, I just *hate* trading cards. I don't know what it is but I get really attached to my cards (especially certain ones I only have one copy of) and I just went back and bought a single of Elesh Norn and Phyrexian Obliterator even though I had just traded them off. It's incredibly stupid of me but I just felt really awful afterwards. It might just be my persistent depression but I just kind of buckled under regret and "fixed" my trade.

Edit:

The one 8-0 player IS playing Maze's End, but he's not playing blue. It's simply Thawing Glaciers, which is very good on its own.

Yah, this is why I was confused. I guess there are two and the one with the actual win con with Maze's End is the one that fell behind.

rCIZZLE

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

"for the next fiscal year we plan to halt growth since we got money already" said no company ever

It's free advertising but it's not like Day9 falling on his face will bring millions of new players. Like I said, MTG is already booming. Doesn't need to start bringing in e-celebs to fill the spot that many grinders would kill for.

bigkrev

It was mentioned on Twitter that they had big announcements at the last 2 PTs- Modern Masters at PT RTR and the 4th PT at PT GTC. So do you think we get a big announcement tomorrow?

Ill predict that we see some new Commander product announced for Fall.

Sinatar

It was mentioned on Twitter that they had big announcements at the last 2 PTs- Modern Masters at PT RTR and the 4th PT at PT GTC. So do you think we get a big announcement tomorrow?

Yea maybe. I imagine whatever it is, it'll have a printrun far smaller then the demand.

kirblar

Already confirmed. :p

Top Bottom