• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major PC problems, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarishBHR

So, yesterday I was messing around with Overclocking... and I found one that worked... but then I went back to change something else, and when I saved the bios and rebooted... it went to the "Something was messed with Windows last time, please select boot method"... I pick everyone and all of them cause my PC to restart. I put my settings back to how they should be... same thing. I restart my bios to default... same thing. So now Windows wont boot, and the only soluton Ive come up with is to reformat my PC... can someone PLEASE gimme some other solution

Diablos

Sometimes if you overclock your CPU too much, you can corrupt data on your hard disk and possibly have to reinstall windows or format. It's pretty rare, but then again I've read many threads on other hardware forums describing your problem. When I took my 2400+ from 2.0GHz to 2.3GHz with air cooling (this was a mistake, not intentional) all I had to do was remove the cmos battery. Try removing your cmos battery and putting it back in... I doubt it will work, but who knows.

You also could have damaged your CPU but I doubt it, anything is possible however.

KarishBHR

Diablos said:
Sometimes if you overclock your CPU too much, you can corrupt data on your hard disk and possibly have to reinstall windows or format. It's pretty rare, but then again I've read many threads on other hardware forums describing your problem. When I took my 2400+ from 2.0GHz to 2.3GHz with air cooling (this was a mistake, not intentional) all I had to do was remove the cmos battery. Try removing your cmos battery and putting it back in... I doubt it will work, but who knows.

I did, and it didnt work!!!

Diablos

Uh oh. What brand and model motherboard do you have?

1. Go to their website, download the latest bios revision (even if you already have it) and re-flash your bios.
2. If that doesn't work, reinstall windows.
3. If THAT doesn't work, reformat and reinstall windows.

And if that doesn't work? Well... you're shit out of luck. What CPU do you have and what did you have it overclocked to?

KarishBHR

Diablos said:
Uh oh. What brand and model motherboard do you have?

1. Go to their website, download the latest bios revision (even if you already have it) and re-flash your bios.
2. If that doesn't work, reinstall windows.
3. If THAT doesn't work, reformat and reinstall windows.

And if that doesn't work? Well... you're shit out of luck. What CPU do you have and what did you have it overclocked to?

1. I cant put in new bios... my floppy drive doesnt work
2. Ill try
3. Ill try

its an Athlon 2800+, I oced it to 2.2 GZ

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
There are different stages of 'booting up'. If you POST, that's stage 1. That's all you need to do to re-install. Go into your BIOS options and change to boot order. Insert the OS CD, boot from the CD and go on your merry way.

Go a head and do a 'repair'. It's selectable during the re-install process.

Have you tried booting into safe mode?

KarishBHR

DaCocoBrova said:
There are different stages of 'booting up'. If you POST, that's stage 1. That's all you need to do to re-install. Go into your BIOS options and change to boot order. Insert the OS CD, boot from the CD and go on your merry way.

Go a head and do a 'repair'. It's selectable during the re-install process.

Have you tried booting into safe mode?

thanks man, I assume this wil work with XP Home upgrade

KarishBHR

Yeah well, I had to reformat the whole thing... but atleast I didnt ruin my PC. Anyway, I was gonna reformat in a few days because Im getting my 9800pro, and NOTHING important was on my PC... so its not big deal. Thanks for the help though

Scoobert

Upgrade and Full are basically the same. Only difference is that Upgrade checks for a previous version of Windows or will ask for the serial number of that previous version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom