• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major shit going down on steam

The steam server monitor is showing a huge drop in badwidth.
This has only ever occured before a large release via Steam.
The steam forums are ablaze with speculation when the forums themselves start messing up.
Suddenly, they go offline.
This message now greets you when attempting to enter the forums.

"The forums couldn't handle the excitement and are taking a little breather. See www.steampowered.com for news. Thanks!"

Another Pre load?
Early HL2 release?

xabre

Banned
All the pre-loads are done aren't they? We're just waiting on them to unlock the game at this point. I did my pre-loading last night, really quick too. If HL2 gets unlocked today then work can sure as hell get fucked tomorrow.

suaveric

question- When you buy HL2 off of steam, does it start downloading right then or can that be controlled? Say for instance you only want it downloading in the middle of the night.

question 2 - Does anyone know if the two expansions for the first HL will be updated to the source engine? I know you get access to them if you buy the silver or gold packages, but who would want to play those after playing HL: Source if they aren't updated as well?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
suaveric said:
question- When you buy HL2 off of steam, does it start downloading right then or can that be controlled? Say for instance you only want it downloading in the middle of the night.

question 2 - Does anyone know if the two expansions for the first HL will be updated to the source engine? I know you get access to them if you buy the silver or gold packages, but who would want to play those after playing HL: Source if they aren't updated as well?

you dont need to buy half life 2 to preload it

Gribbix

suaveric said:

On a related note, can the HD Blue Shift models be used with HL:Source?

xabre

Banned
You can choose when you want to start, pause or stop downloading. Also, the only stuff being updated to source that I know of are Counterstrike (looks worlds above the original game), Day of Defeat and the original Half Life.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
xabre said:
All the pre-loads are done aren't they?

I just bought the silver pack about 7 hours ago and haven't been able to get a single byte of the preload all day. If I try pausing and continuing, it tells me the server's too busy to handle any more preloads and I should try again in a few hours, which doesn't jibe well with

content-servers-2days-00-200411131554.png

brandonnn said:
I just bought the silver pack about 7 hours ago and haven't been able to get a single byte of the preload all day. If I try pausing and continuing, it tells me the server's too busy to handle any more preloads and I should try again in a few hours, which doesn't jibe well with

Did you try shutting down steam and then restarting it? I've noticed that steam sometimes gets "stuck" on a particular percentage and you have to restart it to get it going again.

Slo

It's probably just Half Life 1: Source. They've got to make it available before Tuesday, since it's going to be available at retail then.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
The Shadow said:
Did you try shutting down steam and then restarting it? I've noticed that steam sometimes gets "stuck" on a particular percentage and you have to restart it to get it going again.

I didn't, but after watching it like a hawk all day, I looked again after I posted and was suddenly at 0.6%! Spoke too soon, I guess. I'll keep that in mind if it gets caught along the way tho, thanks.

Slo

The Shadow said:
HL:S is going to come out before HL2?

I didn't say that. We're talking about a preload right? They'll probably be preloading HL1 since it needs to be playable by Tuesday.

xabre

Banned
I didn't, but after watching it like a hawk all day, I looked again after I posted and was suddenly at 0.6%! Spoke too soon, I guess.

Seems a bit slow. What connection are you using? The whole thing (about 3GB) probably only took around 3 hrs when I got it last night.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I thought HL:S was already preloaded??

Maybe I just never looked...

Either way, I'd bet that any and all remaining preload content will be pushed out before Tuesday.

Coop

halflife2.net forums are down too

We're getting swamped.

Half-Life 2 will not be released early.

Forums turned off for a little while to recover.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
xabre said:
Seems a bit slow. What connection are you using? The whole thing (about 3GB) probably only took around 3 hrs when I got it last night.

It apparently just started while I was posting -- it's gone from 0.6 to 10% in the last 15-20 minutes, so I guess I should have it fairly soon.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Gribbix said:
On a related note, can the HD Blue Shift models be used with HL:Source?

IIRC, The Blue Shift models are the ones Valve used to replace the original HL models in HL:S.

What's going to be different about Half-Life: Source? If they haven't changed the art assets, I'm still not really seeing where the improvements are coming from.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Uncle Dukey said:
What's going to be different about Half-Life: Source? If they haven't changed the art assets, I'm still not really seeing where the improvements are coming from.

Maybe physics? I don't know, haven't really been up to date with HL Source

dream

Better physics model, I guess. I think HL: Source is intended for first-time players just so their initial introduction to the HL series isn't so graphically...jarring.

xabre

Banned
Unless they're going to up the rez of the textures, won't fancy DX9 pixel shaded water look jarringly out of place in a 1998 game?

SKluck

Banned
The textures are upgraded. They said they aren't, but in the screens of HL:S, they are much much better.

Why they lie about that I do not know.

Edit: Actually I take that back, my memory is fuzzy. In some areas they look better and some they look the same, maybe it is just the lighting.
1093618899_hls1.jpg

1093618899_hls2.jpg

Half-Life 2 For Sale? November 13, 2004, 4:57 pm · valve
If you have purchased a copy of Half-Life 2, we are sorry you are still waiting to play. This is not Valve's choice. Vivendi is insisting that the game has not yet been released, and has threatened that Valve would be in violation of its contract if we activate the Half-Life 2 Steam authentication servers at this time.
Pah

skrew

Banned
brandonnn said:

i had the same problem for weeks, i uninstalled steam, reinstalled and it started right away

Well, the steam forums are back up, but nobody really knows what's going on.
That statement by Valve definately rules out an early release of HL2, but I have my hopes up for HL: source

Top Bottom