• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man fails to rob bank because of his spelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't see this posted: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ad38ac-9ee8-11e2-a2db-efc5298a95e1_story.html

The words on his robbery note were spelled incorrectly, authorities said, and he was unable to articulate his demands. So the confused teller at the downtown Washington bank turned the man away, saying she couldn’t help.

The FBI says the man didn’t fare much better at a second bank three blocks away. There, authorities said, it took the teller a few moments to realize that the man standing at her window April 1 was not a customer.
“Oh my God, are we getting robbed?” the teller said, according to an affidavit filed in federal court. She alerted security and the man fled. D.C. police said officers quickly arrested a 20-year-old suspect a block away.

Maurice Fearwell of Northeast was charged with two counts of attempted bank robbery — the first at 11:25 a.m. at the SunTrust Bank in the 1200 block of K Street, the second at 11:42 a.m. at the Bank of America in the 900 block of K Street.
Authorities say that most bank robbers use notes, not guns, but the wording must be clear to be understood. Court documents say the note handed over at the SunTrust simply read, “100s 50s 20s 10s.”

“The teller was confused,” the FBI agent wrote in the affidavit, noting that the teller understood the man to say “money” but nothing else. She handed the note back, and the FBI says he wrote, “all mona.” The teller sent him away. It was only after he left, authorities said, that a customer who was in earshot told her that the man was trying to rob the bank.

The teller at the Bank of America seemed to understand what was happening a bit quicker, although the FBI said she, too, was at first confused by the note reading “all mona.”

But when the man said he wanted “what’s on that,” referring to the note, she understood and alerted security.

Police said the man got no money from either bank.

At a hearing Thursday in U.S. District Court, a federal magistrate judge ordered the suspect held and to undergo a psychiatric evaluation. His next hearing is scheduled for Monday.

All i could think about after the first teller turned him away:
okay-okay-l.png

javac

Teller: "Hello there sir, what would you like?"
Man: "100s 50s 20s 10s."
Teller: "Which one?"
Man: "All Mona"

Falcs

Banned
Wait, so this is common? Robbers just hand over a note when they want to rob a bank?
What do they do? Just write "Gimme all the mona!" and the teller is supposed to just give it?
If that's the case, you could just go in unarmed, hand over a note, walk out with the mona, and if you're caught then you say "But I was unarmed, all I did was ask for it."

Or do they usually write that they have a gun/bomb or something and the teller hands it over just in case? Is that how its supposed to work?
Seems kinda weird to me. If I was a teller I'd just be like "Ah, go back to school, buddy. Then maybe you'll be able to GET A JOB and then maybe we do some business with you."

Aselith

Wait, so this is common? Robbers just hand over a note when they want to rob a bank?
What do they do? Just write "Gimme all the mona!" and the teller is supposed to just give it?
If that's the case, you could just go in unarmed, hand over a note, walk out with the mona, and if you're caught then you say "But I was unarmed, all I did was ask for it."

Or do they usually write that they have a gun/bomb or something and the teller hands it over just in case? Is that how its supposed to work?
Seems kinda weird to me. If I was a teller I'd just be like "Ah, go back to school, buddy. Then maybe you'll be able to GET A JOB and then maybe we do some business with you."

It's so that he doesn't have to talk and possibly get overheard by someone nearby. The idea is that he can threaten this single person and take the money from her window instead of having to control the entire bank and rob the whole place.

Like really you think if someone is threatening you at your window you're going to stand up to them and tell them to fuck off? Why? They tell you in training not to try to prevent the robbery because they don't want people getting hurt that work there. Standing up to a robber is often a good way to get fired.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=...16,d.dmg&fp=1fa1ca819eb382cf&biw=1920&bih=955

grumble

It's so that he doesn't have to talk and possibly get overheard by someone nearby. The idea is that he can threaten this single person and take the money from her window instead of having to control the entire bank and rob the whole place.

Like really you think if someone is threatening you at your window you're going to stand up to them and tell them to fuck off? Why? They tell you in training not to try to prevent the robbery because they don't want people getting hurt that work there. Standing up to a robber is often a good way to get fired.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=...16,d.dmg&fp=1fa1ca819eb382cf&biw=1920&bih=955

Yeah, if you refuse them money and then they pull a gun and shoot you, a customer or a coworker you're going to feel pretty dumb. Just hand over the money, they usually get caught a few minutes after robbing the place anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom