• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man loses £130,000 to Nigerian Scammers

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 32-year-old man has lost more than £130,000 in an internet scam involving Nigerian fraudsters.

Police said the victim, from Portsmouth, was befriended online by a man posing as a woman in 2007.

He was asked for money to help the "woman's" dying mother and believed he also funded the funeral.

He then got emails from people posing as FBI agents investigating the scam, who duped him into funding trips to Nigeria so they could investigate.

A Hampshire police spokeswoman said: "It eventually transpired that the woman was in fact a Nigerian man who had been lying to obtain money from the man in Portsmouth."

The spokeswoman said the victim later received further emails from someone else purporting to be another victim of the fraud as well as men who claimed to be FBI agents.

"The agents said they would take on the Portsmouth man's case if he would fund their trip to Nigeria and any subsequent costs they incurred, which the man agreed to," she said.

"This went on for many months before it again transpired that the emails were fraudulent, and in fact another attempt to obtain money from the man.

"The money cannot be recovered due to the current political situation in Nigeria, resulting in a lack of co-operation from the police in the country."

Det Con Jon Knox said: "This is a very sad situation, and this man has now parted with a huge sums of money through his own good nature - in trying to help others and then to recover some of what he had lost.

"We do not want anyone else to fall foul of this kind of shocking activity and I would warn anyone who is asked for money over the internet by people they do not know to refuse and not put yourself at risk."

Story Here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7829177.stm

Reminds me of this, http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=372Ah0Z_L1w

5F5C19BB-A6ED-4F31-BE34-BA6A137274E.jpg

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Det Con Jon Knox said: "This is a very sad situation, and this man has now parted with a huge sums of money through his own good nature - in trying to help others and then to recover some of what he had lost.

Oh, I thought the man parted with a huge sum of money through his own moronic nature.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
2 Minutes Turkish said:
so does this officially put Nigeria over the top as the richest nation in the world?

By now Internet Scams must have caught up with Oil in contributing to Nigeria's GDP.

Wired

Mr Mike said:
Oh, I thought the man parted with a huge sum of money through his own moronic nature.

Well, unless you are seriously challenged in the intelligence department I don't see how it is possible to fall for crap like this, so yeah.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Wired said:
Well, unless you are seriously challenged in the intelligence department I don't see how it is possible to fall for crap like this, so yeah.

Was he new to the internet? I bet that was it, it's the only possible explanation.

There must be a line missing from the news report that says the guy also thought the dancing baby .gif was cool, or something.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Sucker,who would fall for that. Thank god I only deal with A Prince from that area who needs my help because he can't afford to pay the taxes on the large sum of money he inherited and needs my help.

GhaleonEB

I know a grandmother - who is ailing and now in full-time care - who sent ~$200k off to someone in a similar scam over the past couple of years. This was a domestic scam, with these guys saying her help was needed to build the fence along the border with Mexico to keep those pesky Mexicans out. Basically preyed on her naiveté and racism for years to bilk her retirement. I can't believe people fall for this stuff.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'm seriously considering acting like a 18 year old girl from Nizhny Novgorod in order to get some money from people who can't/shouldn't use the internet.

Tntnnbltn

He then got emails from people posing as FBI agents investigating the scam, who duped him into funding trips to Nigeria so they could investigate.
Yo dawg, we heard you like scams so we put a scam in yo scam so you can fail while you fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom