• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man who caught Eric Garner death on camera suing city $10m over drug arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geist-

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...YC-Police-Chokehold-Sues-City--388476262.html

The New York City man whose cellphone video captured the fatal police chokehold of unarmed black man Eric Garner is suing the city for $10 million over a drug arrest that he says was police retaliation.

Ramsey Orta was arrested last June after authorities say he sold an undercover officer $40 worth of the party drug known as Molly. The charges were later dropped.

Lawyer Andrew Plasse tells the Daily News Orta feels he was "unjustly singled out for arrest." The lawsuit filed Tuesday in Manhattan Supreme Court claims it was an effort by the NYPD to "discredit" Orta's video.

Sprinkle crack on my body if old.

Edit: Thanks Kurdel for the extra source.

The other charges the OPs source forgot to mention :

Orta, 26, is now laying low with his wife in Las Vegas, waiting to report to court Oct. 3 for sentencing on gun possession and drug charges that did stick.

[...]

Two weeks after filming Garner's death from a police choke hold, Orta was arrested on Staten Island on charges of possessing a .25 caliber Norton semiautomatic handgun. Six months later, he was caught selling heroin to an undercover cop.

Kurdel

Banned
It is pretty odd that the charges were dropped on the charge....

The other charges the OPs source forgot to mention :

Orta, 26, is now laying low with his wife in Las Vegas, waiting to report to court Oct. 3 for sentencing on gun possession and drug charges that did stick.

[...]

Two weeks after filming Garner's death from a police choke hold, Orta was arrested on Staten Island on charges of possessing a .25 caliber Norton semiautomatic handgun. Six months later, he was caught selling heroin to an undercover cop.

Guevara

I can believe the cops are looking at him hard, but it also sounds like he really is carrying drugs and guns.

On the bright side, his record is long enough that we can ignore this ONE thing..it's ok. I'm sure we'll see some say just as much here. Let's watch..

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom