• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga-heads, looking for recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Man

I'm interested in horror manga available in english. I read Uzumaki (only the first 2 volumes; can't find the 3rd) and I loved it. And what with all the Ring/Ringu love, I'm getting turned on by Japanese horror.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'd be looking for films, as well, but I don't know of any good renty places near me, yet.

White Man

I don't know for sure. I think I remember reading that the manga came first. A good portion of the first two volumes are sort of unconnected stories that only have the mysterious nature of the twon in common. Towards the end of 2, though, it looks like a little continuity picks up.

They have some killer art, too. I'm not a fan of manga-style art, but there's some cool, intricate stuff.

oBa

Anything written by Junji Ito comes highly recommended. He wrote Uzumaki along with Gyo (horror story about rotting fish) and the Tomie series (crazy psycho girl story), one of his short story collections has also been published over here under the name of Flesh Colored Horror. Uzumaki and Gyo are both Viz releases, Tomie and Flesh Colored Horror are distributed by Comics One so they might be a bit more difficult to find.

Either than those, you might want to try some Hideshi Hino stuff. Its a bit different, and most of his stuff was written over 20 years ago, so the stories and art might be a bit rough by todays standards, but I still find them to be good reads. Hell Baby, The Red Snake, Bug Boy, Panorama of Hell and Onibobo have all been released over here, with many more to come.

I recommend "Perfect Blue" - It's not exactly horror, but I think there's a good chance you might like it.

Edit: Oh you're asking for manga, I thought anime.

White Man

That's the one that Aronofsky cribbed the bathtub screaming under water scene from (for Requiem for a Dream), right? One of my friends was trying to push that on me a few years ago. That shouldn't be difficult at all to find.

White Man said:
That's the one that Aronofsky cribbed the bathtub screaming under water scene from (for Requiem for a Dream), right? One of my friends was trying to push that on me a few years ago. That shouldn't be difficult at all to find.

Yes that's the one.

Who's that in your avatar? Forgive my ignorance if he's supposed to be a well-known figure or something. Edit: Nevermind, I just googled the file name :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom