• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

Neiteio

That feeling when you've played the DLC so much that hitting Random and getting normal tracks feels like getting completely -new- tracks, and like you're seeing Electrodrome for the first time all over again... <3

Gattuso

I don't even know where that crazy 8 came from but it helped a bit. surprised nothing bad happened to me missing that final item box

dock

Are people still finding that they don't see anyone in the neogaf rooms? I've had this problem for the last few days, so I've given up trying to play with Neogaf. :( Is there an alternative room for people?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Are people still finding that they don't see anyone in the neogaf rooms? I've had this problem for the last few days, so I've given up trying to play with Neogaf. :( Is there an alternative room for people?
Why don't you friend someone that is on a lot and join them that way? You're not going to find anyone at this time though...

Well obviously no one is playing at this hour. Lots of people were playing last weekend. European evenings on normal weekdays seem pretty dead, but there were I think six of us yesterday at least.

dock

Well obviously no one is playing at this hour. Lots of people were playing last weekend. European evenings on normal weekdays seem pretty dead, but there were I think six of us yesterday at least.

I had problems at all hours at the weekend, and I've tried in the evenings on mon/tues. It used to have people, but I presumed it was a bug causing these rooms to appear empty, as other people were talking about racing while I saw the rooms as empty.

Omnicent

I had problems at all hours at the weekend, and I've tried in the evenings on mon/tues. It used to have people, but I presumed it was a bug causing these rooms to appear empty, as other people were talking about racing while I saw the rooms as empty.

those rooms are full, so it will put you in an empty room. You need to join us via the rivals list/friends list, or manage to hop in before the room is full. Also if the specator slots are frilled up then even if you join via friend/rival you will get an error saying you can't join.

Just see who posts a bunch in this thread and add them to your friends list. That should help immensely. Heck yesterday I teid to enter via tourney and got put in an empty room, so I just joined merrick (Gattuso) and was lucky enough that a spectator slot was still open.

Yeah...I'm not noticing any bumping tweaks.

Omni (damn you Omni!) always bumps me off corners early in races on tracks like Royal Raceway, DK, and Donut Plains when I race as Baby Daisy but I didn't fly off the track once last night when he tried. You can definitely still bump but the distance that you fly doesn't seem to be based on weight anymore.

You were there, have you ever seen me place even in the top 6 with a baby before? Unless you're right and I did hack the game >:D

xandaca

That's a case of no life. The only way to gain that much vr in the 2.0 patch was to race 1k vr racers to gain 7 points for each first place.

I have no idea how some people can be so ridiculously good at the game. I understand fire hopping gives you an advantage, but surely it can't be such a massive one to allow these guys (or girls) to go flying off into a near-insurmountable lead from the start of the race? I don't fire-hop but keep a pretty tight racing line on most tracks, certainly taking corners closer than most, but almost constantly get screwed over by items and generally end up somewhere between 3rd and 8th. I'd imagine that's not dissimilar to most people, and while it's much easier to hold 1st place in the game than any other position, I'd still be fascinated to know what those people who get 1st every race are doing, because surely there must be more to it than just fire-hopping.

those rooms are full, so it will put you in an empty room. You need to join us via the rivals list/friends list, or manage to hop in before the room is full. Also if the specator slots are frilled up then even if you join via friend/rival you will get an error saying you can't join.

Just see who posts a bunch in this thread and add them to your friends list. That should help immensely. Heck yesterday I teid to enter via tourney and got put in an empty room, so I just joined merrick (Gattuso) and was lucky enough that a spectator slot was still open.

That doesn't make sense. How many spectator slots are there? If there are more than five-or-so, why don't those five people start a second room? That's what we did last weekend; I thought that's how it always works.

OK guys, I've been having this issue for a while and it is annoying me greatly.

On the pro controller occasionally the turn will turn the wrong direction when drifting.. is this just me experiencing it? I play with others and they say the same - its a super weird issue and really annoying when it ruins a race.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That doesn't make sense. How many spectator slots are there? If there are more than five-or-so, why don't those five people start a second room? That's what we did last weekend; I thought that's how it always works.

There aren't actually "spectator slots." Each lobby can only support 12 players, including those in-game and those spectating because they joined mid-race. So the "spectator slots" would just be however many openings there are in that room.

OK guys, I've been having this issue for a while and it is annoying me greatly.

On the pro controller occasionally the turn will turn the wrong direction when drifting.. is this just me experiencing it? I play with others and they say the same - its a super weird issue and really annoying when it ruins a race.

It's annoying, but it is entirely user error. You're hitting drift before you have the stick turned in the right direction. I'd rather just have two drift buttons so it isn't an issue, but it is what it is.

What I find more annoying is that since the last update/since I started playing again, there have been times I've tried to drift, and it shows the animations (sparks, the low angle on the bike) but I don't actually drift and end up driving off the track or into a wall because I take the turn too wide.

Never had this problem prior to the DLC update. I can't help but wonder if it's a problem with the master cycle or something since that's what I've been using.

There aren't actually "spectator slots." Each lobby can only support 12 players, including those in-game and those spectating because they joined mid-race. So the "spectator slots" would just be however many openings there are in that room.

It's annoying, but it is entirely user error. You're hitting drift before you have the stick turned in the right direction. I'd rather just have two drift buttons so it isn't an issue, but it is what it is.

What I find more annoying is that since the last update/since I started playing again, there have been times I've tried to drift, and it shows the animations (sparks, the low angle on the bike) but I don't actually drift and end up driving off the track or into a wall because I take the turn too wide.

Never had this problem prior to the DLC update. I can't help but wonder if it's a problem with the master cycle or something since that's what I've been using.
Are you sure? Because it seems to be pretty random.

It really is super annoying even if it is my fault:(

dock

Thank-you so much, I had no idea about any of this! I'll try this.

I wish the online mode in MK8 was better in general. I'd really like to book myself in for a GP, and for it interrupt offline play as soon as all players are ready.

Omnicent

That is not the case as I can be spectating a 12 man room for 30+minutes. did that yesterday while I cleaned the house. A room is 12 racers + a certain amount of spectator (like yesterday when teegs posted he was waiting for someone to leave the room while spectating).
Yes there are instances where you can join a room and there will be "player" slots, but that is mid race joins, not full room spectating where you are queued up waiting to get in.

If the room is not full, you will spectate the race and join in after it completes, otherwise you will spectate and have to wait for someone to leave. The later seems to only happen when you join from rivals/friends list (from my experience I have never been able to join a full room regularly. I have to go through rivals/friends and hope I can spectate). If the room is full and you try to join through regular methods (not friends/rivals) you will be put into an empty room unless someone gets a comm-error or leaves mid-race and their leaving coincides with you trying to join the room.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That is not the case as I can be spectating a 12 man room for 30+minutes. did that yesterday while I cleaned the house. A room is 12 racers + a certain amount of spectator (like yesterday when teegs posted he was waiting for someone to leave the room while spectating).
Yes there are instances where you can join a room and there will be "player" slots, but that is mid race joins, not full room spectating where you are queued up waiting to get in.

If the room is not full, you will spectate the race and join in after it completes, otherwise you will spectate and have to wait for someone to leave. The later seems to only happen when you join from rivals/friends list (from my experience I have never been able to join a full room regularly. I have to go through rivals/friends and hope I can spectate). If the room is full and you try to join through regular methods (not friends/rivals) you will be put into an empty room unless someone gets a comm-error or leaves mid-race and their leaving coincides with you trying to join the room.

So in other words, they fixed spectating in one of the patches? I wasn't aware of that, I remember it being patched out because of the frequent mass-disconnections early on.

Roo

So in other words, they fixed spectating in one of the patches? I wasn't aware of that, I remember it being patched out because of the frequent mass-disconnections early on.

They patched it in again in the Mercedes DLC iirc.
So far, MK8 patches are

1st patch:
- Fix of glitch that led to comm errors for everyone if someone left the room without voting for a track first.
- Removal of spectate mode
-Fix of bug that caused the game/console to freeze forcing the user to unplug it, corrupting the game's save data and even the whole console (I think we had a few cases here in GAF)
-"Stability" lol

2nd patch:
- Mercedes DLC arrival
- Spectate mode is back
- They fucked up the VR system
- Map in your TV screen
- Game now saves your setup of choice (DLC cars were not considered)
- Improvements to Mario Kart TV
- Next Race is set as the default option instead of View Hightlight reel
- Stats page added
- "Stability" lol again

3rd patch:
- DLC tracks, characters, etc, etc
- Amiibo compatibility
- VR system fixed.
- Collision detection apparently "fixed" for lightweight characters.
- Fucked up Mario Kart TV (seems to be a system problem, not the game itself)
- Game now saves your setup of choice (DLC cars now considered)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Second patch also included the stats page.

Nifty though, I didn't know about some of those things like MKTV improvements. Does it finally let you upload more than a highlight reel you can't even choose yourself?

Roo

I forgot about the stats page D:
I only saw it once lol
anyway, I added it to the list :D

edit: about your question, they added new options to the menu but I'm not sure. I hardly use MKTV so I don't really know what's new.

Dr Prob

Banned
lol. Was just rereading patch notes for the Battlefield update/dlc--DICE should hire Roo to write 'em up.

- Fucked up the medkit
- Unfucked the thing we fucked up last time
- You can now have camo for your fucking parachute...

DaBoss

lol. Was just rereading patch notes for the Battlefield update/dlc--DICE should hire Roo to write 'em up.

- Fucked up the medkit
- Unfucked the thing we fucked up last time
- You can now have camo for your fucking parachute...
No way, man.

Detailed updates are a god send. Nintendo seems to not like saying what is changed in updates outside of the basics.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Now that I have a capture card MKTV is basically irrelevant anyway aside from recording replays. So even if they didn't make it useful I guess it doesn't matter much.

daripad

Ended up playing with my 3 year old sister, Link and Epona have the stats I use for bikes :')

And the new circuits I have played on are fantastic, they are chaotic and beautiful, so far I love Yoshi's Circuit the most. Also Light Blue Yoshi is pretty in the game :')

Roo

Ended up playing with my 3 year old sister, Link and Epona have the stats I use for bikes :')

And the new circuits I have played on are fantastic, they are chaotic and beautiful, so far I love Yoshi's Circuit the most. Also Light Blue Yoshi is pretty in the game :')

You definitely should wait a few hours from now.
It gets crowded in here around 6-11PM PST.
Even at the game's launch, it was pretty quiet around this time.

Top Bottom