• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart DS -- JPN release date

Memles

One has to assume that this is an attempt at boosting the DS launch in the wake of the PSP price.

A wise move...and bodes well for a spring release for NA.

Zuh ... I always assumed Mario Kart would be one of those titles that's released shortly after launch (just like Mario Kart 64 on the N64).

soundwave05 said:
Zuh ... I always assumed Mario Kart would be one of those titles that's released shortly after launch (just like Mario Kart 64 on the N64).

Which was released in the spring after launch...

snapty00

Banned
I hope the one-player mode in this game is good. It wouldn't be too difficult to make the one-player mode fun, but for whatever reason, Nintendo didn't do it with Mario Kart 64 and Double Dash. The cheating in Mario Kart 64 and the wacked weapons distribution in Double Dash gave me heartburn.

Please don't let there be either of these in the DS version!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
That is very hard to believe. Nintendo already has 5 first-party produced DS titles for launch, I believe at least 3 developed in the central building R&D studios. Mario Kart seems like overkill.

The game also seemed incomplete compared to the other titles.

Damn, that sucks. I'm waiting to buy a DS for Mario Kart. And I don't think I'm importing like I did with the GBA. I'm mega poor with tuition etc. This is going to be a long wait =/

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Hmm. Looks like it may be true, Gamefront = super reliable to me. Big move by Nintendo, looks like they are really putting a lot of internal resources into the DS.

Well I'm really not sure if Mario Kart would attract a much broader audience considering the Japanese launch already has several other Nintendo mainstays at launch, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

olimario

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Well I'm really not sure if Mario Kart would attract a much broader audience considering the Japanese launch already has several other Nintendo mainstays at launch, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Mario Kart has VERY broad appeal. THis will increase launch sales by a bit, I think.

Memles

Super Mario 64 DS
Wario Ware
"Jam wit da Band"
One-Line Puzzle
Pokemon Dash
Mario Kart DS

They might even move to launch with SM64DS bundled and have Mario Kart lead software sales? Who knows. I just hope they don't hold off MKDS until PSP NA launch, screwing us over.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
NCL is so good to Japan though. NOA has really screwed us over by not releasing a lot of good games. I mean Nintendo could release every single game they wanted to here, and as long as they don't spend 40 billion dollars on something like Giftpia or Custom Robo, they would still make decent money just off the loyal N-maniacs.

Custom Robo did come out for the GC here though.

Giftpia would sell like 5 copies if it was released in the US.

NOA wants to market in one direction, but NCL doesn't really give them any ammunition to do so. That's seems like its the core of the problem.

I think Reggie in his guys want to do one thing while Iwata and his blokes are on the other end of the spectrum.

Mashing

SantaCruZer said:
is it really that hard to miss? :p

Apparently I did as I didn't even see a name with the word Ninja in it either

Giftpia would sell like 5 copies if it was released in the US

Maybe, unless Nintendo published it... it would then probably pickup the Animal Crossing crowd.

snapty00

Banned
I hate to say it, but NOA isn't being blind-sighted by not releasing games like Giftpia. The games really would bomb so hard that they wouldn't be worth the effort. Heck, as far as I'm concerned, they bent over backwards to get Custom Robo here.

This is interesting, I honestly didn't think it was going to come out early anywhere. Offers hope for an early domestic release. Good news though!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Custom Robo did come out for the GC here though. Giftpia would sell like 5 copies if it was released in the US.

I was just using an IP like Custom Robo as an example. As far as someone mentioning the game bombing? First off, I feel any decent game can break 60k-100k just because Nintendo fanbase is huge. So as long as Nintendo releases it as a budget title with just magazine ads, the game can turn small profits, but most importantly expand the portfolio and userbase of Nintendo.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Mario Kart DS was not available for preorder today.

Gamefront.de usually are very reliable though... interesting.

What portfolio would a game like Giftpia really expand?

Everyone associates Nintendo with making cartoony types of games. It would just be catering to a small segment of their established userbase.

I think NOA means well, but they just don't have the goods to do anything with. All those pseduo-"cool" marketing campaigns they try to pump up and Reggie trying to be aggressive, it all falls flat in the long run because they never have the goods to back it up with.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Everyone associates Nintendo with making cartoony types of games. It would just be catering to a small segment of their established userbase.

Believe me, anything that doesn't have Mario in the title.. nowadays is expanding Nintendo's portfolio. Sad but true.

So you liked MK on the GBA?

Then why wouldn't you be interested in the DS version? I think it's made by the same developers.

Jonnyram

I think this is where gamefront.de got it from (via syoboonline)
http://www.rakuten.co.jp/reboooom/508954/508957/546915/544677/#574519

It is sold out (pre-orders) at rakuten, and if Play Asia are saying it too, chances are it is true. But it wasn't on the Tsutaya list I was looking at over the counter. So Nintendo may have only told retailers in the last couple of days. Still, it's amazing news if true. I guess the other new Nintendo stuff like Animal Crossing can't be that far behind.

I'm not sure. It does look like courses from the original Super Mario Kart will be in the game in 3D though, probably as a bonus.

The plot thickens, you think if it was a Japanese launch title that it would have shown up at the Touch event. That pretty much made up my mind that it wasn't.

However Eurogamer have said that Nintendo today announced a JPN launch and a US date. Haven't seen any other site pick it up though.

Mario Kart DS has been given a firm launch date, with Nintendo today announcing that the title will debut in Japan on December 2nd, with its US release following on January 10th.

king zell

Wireless multiplayer up to 8 players

you can see every player's item in the map

not much is known about the game

but Jan 10th is cool for a US version ^^

h-104_32860_mc02.jpg.jpg

PkunkFury

looks like you might be able to tap an opponent the touch screen to steal their weapon if ghost items are included. Also, perhaps you can tap locations on the map to throw banana peels, that would be cool.

Top Bottom